OCR00399 - Donkey Kong Country "Diddy Evolution"

Saunders

Donkey Kong Country 'Diddy Evolution'

I like the sort of hollow sample at the beginning, but I love the guitar that kicks in after the intro. This is one of my favourite DKC mixes. I like the quiet part around 1:15, and the wiggly (for lack of better adj.) samples that come in during that quiet part are pretty cool, strange, but cool regardless. Overall, this is a pretty sweet-assed mix. 4/5

• 10 months later...

What's not to like/love? The synth work is excellent, especially the main background synth. I call those "watery synths," because...er...I do. :wink: My favorite part is probably the section from 0:44-1:58, since the new melody there just fits perfectly. 10/10

EDIT, a year and a half later: "watery synths." Hah. "acid synths," more like.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I could just...just EAT this song. I thought it would sound corny w/the guitar, but uh-NO. It is awesome. Those fade in, fade out effects are to capture and immortalize until...the end of...time, sure. But, heck, I was pre-partial to this song cuz it's title is "DiddyEvolution"! When I was a tiny girl, I had a freakin' crush on Diddy Kong...how sweet/creepy :wink:

~^~Mary_mari's seal of approval~^~

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another classic djp song. I love that acid bass and the coverage of the theme is so damn funky. Not a big fan of PheartheMonkey - for my "Theme" coverage, this mix rocks me.

Crazy, semi-goofy synths (an early djp staple) combined with that intense fucking bassline, wailing guitars that chug and gate all over the place (omg protricity). This mix is short and sweet.

Classic and solid.

• 2 years later...

Pretty cool soundscape, the fact that the synth guitar sounds very un-guitarlike actually is a strength, and gives the mix a lot more longevity. Sortof like that uncanny valley concept, only for sound. Another thing going for it is the large amount of modulation on it, and some judiciously-used effects.

The lead switches up for a few renditions to keep things fresh, and underneath is an understated beat as well as a synth backing that bubbles up, as if the whole song was a big pot of delicious Diddy Kong stew (which is more than he deserves, the little bastard).

I think the lead synth guitar sounds better than when it is used in a rhythm context, but for being as venerable as the mix is, it stands up pretty well. Some more variation in the sections would have improved it, but it's still very listen able.

• 4 weeks later...

I've listened to ocremix for a long time and finally joined, this is my first post!

At any rate, something in this track sounded familiar, i can't pick it out but i think it might be from double dragon battletoads. I remember that whole game had pumpin music, id just play it to hear those loops again.

• 1 year later...

I don't really have anything to say about the piece itself, though it is great! 8-)

But I'm just confused.. Why does everyone refer to this song as "Theme" when the real title is "Simian Segue"? Along with the jungle song, originally titled "Jungle Groove", yet it's constantly referred to as "DK Island Swing" which is the title of the map theme. It confuses me. Anyone have any answers? Or noticed the same thing? :?

• 6 months later...
I don't really have anything to say about the piece itself, though it is great! 8-)

But I'm just confused.. Why does everyone refer to this song as "Theme" when the real title is "Simian Segue"? Along with the jungle song, originally titled "Jungle Groove", yet it's constantly referred to as "DK Island Swing" which is the title of the map theme. It confuses me. Anyone have any answers? Or noticed the same thing? :?

First, I agree. This is a great piece DJP! It does focus on the actual theme and I like that about this mix.

Second, I have noticed that, and while I don't have 100% anwsers, my guess would be the same as DKC2's soundtrack names. Some places name the track on the level or something like that, and others have the real name. This causes confusion and most people take the one that sounds the best. This is probably something like that. Like I said, that's just my guess.

• 1 year later...

Well, my guess is because that's what the official DKC soundtrack labeled them as. Proof right here:

dkjamz.jpg

^ as you can see above, it goes Theme, Simian Segue and then DK Island Swing in that order, implying that's the order they appear in the game. Hope that helps (:

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00399 - Donkey Kong Country "Diddy Evolution"