Timaeus222 - 39971

Truong-Son Nguyen

http://timaeusproductions.bandcamp.com

Game arranged: Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time

Name of arrangement: "They See Me Rolling"

Name of song arranged: Goron City theme

Composer: Koji Kondo

Link to wip forum thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43324

Full song lyrics here: https://soundcloud.com/chimpazilla/they-see-me-rolling-goron-city

Comments (by chimpazilla):

Hi there! This fun little song started out as an audition wip I did for the OoT album project. Emunator and Theophany both liked it a lot, but they told me that others had already claimed the Goron track, so I just kept my wip on hold for awhile. Quite a long while, actually. Eventually, many months later (and after relentless nagging by me), anterroir acquired the two elements I had used when I wrote it: Omnisphere and Damage. So I sent him the file, just for fun, and luckily it inspired him. Together we rearranged it and added some great new elements (much better drumming, those cool horns, fun new synth work, the trademark Goron melodic-metallic barking), and of course he recorded the hilarious vocals. (Those vocal effects were fun to do!) Then timaeus offered to add some additional glitching, extra drum effects and a few reverb tricks, which finished off the track to perfection. So enjoy this silly little track, it was super fun to write. Who knew the big Gorons could be so groovy? Well.... yeeeaaahhh.... ;-D

ReMix Source

0:00 - 0:08 8 seconds 0:27 - 0:35

0:08 - 0:15 7 seconds 1:02 - 1:10

0:15 - 0:23 8 seconds 0:27 - 0:35

0:23 - 0:30 7 seconds 1:02 - 1:10

0:30 - 0:35 5 seconds 0:09 - 0:17 (melodic metallic barking)

0:35 - 1:36 original writing and lyrics

1:36 - 1:44 8 seconds 0:27 - 0:35

1:44 - 1:52 8 seconds 1:02 - 1:10

1:55 - 2:26 31 seconds 0:27 - 0:43

2:26 - 3:12 original writing and lyrics

3:12 - 3:20 8 seconds 0:27 - 0:35

3:20 - 3:27 7 seconds 1:02 - 1:10

3:27 - 3:35 8 seconds 0:27 - 0:35

3:35 - 3:43 8 seconds 1:02 - 1:10

3:43 - 3:51 8 seconds 0:27 - 0:35

3:51 - 3:58 7 seconds 1:02 - 1:10

3:58 - 4:08 10 seconds 0:09 - 0:17 (melodic metallic barking)

total source usage is 138 seconds - song is 4:08 or 248 seconds

138/248 = 55.65% source usage

Lyrics:

All my brothers, they see me rolling

All my brothers, they see me rolling

The guy in green, he sees me rolling

The guy in green, he sees me rolling

And I'm watching him, watching them, watching me

Rolling round, and round...

And they're watching him taking out his bombs,

To blow me off the ground!

It may be a small place, so many of us in it,

Yeah we're pretty big guys, with tutus and shit you name it

Still we're easy going, smooth, everyone it's alright...

Let's roll around the town tonight.

Hi there! You see me floating... well... yeah...

Come on man, do it again, bomb me, BOMB ME yeeeaaahhhh...

All my brothers, they see me floating

The guy in green, he sent me floating

And I'm watching him, watching them, watching me

Floating round, and round...

And they're watching him taking out his hook,

To pull me to the ground!

It may be a small place, so many of us in it,

Yeah we're pretty big guys, with tutus and shit you name it

Still we're easy going, smooth, everyone it's alright...

Let's roll around the town tonight.

Edited by djpretzel
added source usage breakdown & lyrics

Honestly, not really feeling the vocal performance at :35. Not my cup of tea at all. The chorus at 1:04 resolved fine, but those initial notes seemed totally flat and off when paired with the brass line there. It worked better at 2:41 though.

Also, and I want to make clear it has 0 bearing on the decision, but the approach of having wholly original vocal sections sandwiched between the Goron melody arrangement sounded disjointed to me. Some allusions to the Goron theme or something else could have provided a bit more flow and continuity to the piece. That said, :34-1:06's bassline felt like a simplified & subtle but legit usage of the Goron theme, so I would actually count stuff like that as source use, as quiet and deemphasized as it was.

1:20-1:36's mixing was a bit cramped, but not a big deal. It was around here that I noticed y'all had pretty good usage of an otherwise horribly weak brass sample; it's all in how you use the tools. The rest of the track came off fine. I thought the spoken word stuff after the 2-minute mark during the source chorus was cool though, and I liked the sampled vocal OoT line cameo at 2:26.

I wish the original vocals and Goron theme sections felt more cohesive together, but it may just be me. I did love the Goron theme treatment though. :-) Definitely a winner, even if it won't be in my personal rotation.

YES

This is totally groovy. Percussion is completely BADASS :D

Ok, so looking at this... I can see what larry means about those vocals, but I actually like how you can almost envision it being sung by one of the gorons :D I think this will attract vocal hate dewds tho.

Original Vocal sections for me are also a bit of a no-no, but its pulled off fairly well here. Still, it lacks a bit of cohesiveness overall without the theme to bring it back to basics, and this throws the source usuage into question slightly. It checks out just about for me, but a little more source would have been preferable I think.

Still, for what it is, its fantastic, and totally wins on all levels. ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN!

YES

• 2 months later...
Also, and I want to make clear it has 0 bearing on the decision, but the approach of having wholly original vocal sections sandwiched between the Goron melody arrangement sounded disjointed to me. Some allusions to the Goron theme or something else could have provided a bit more flow and continuity to the piece.

See, I agree agree with this sentiment so much that I'm gonna have to vote NO on this. It's a really well done track and it's very fun, but I feel like the main parts of this track are wholly original. This feels to me like an original song that uses Goron City as a framing device.

And yes, I do see that source breakdown up top, but I'm actually not a big fan of the stop-watched approach to source usage, nor am I fan of the original-vocal-melody approach to remixing either. There's a ton of melodic work throughout the Zelda series that could be mined for material here.

I'm pretty on the fence on this one myself. I see everyone's points, and I don't feel that I'm firmly in one camp or another. For me it comes down to what Will said: I could naturally see Gorons adopting the vocals and lyrics, and the song still hold a decent connection to the source and adds plenty of interpretation. I think there could have been a stronger connection between the to separate ideas (source/vocal), even if it was small phrases here and there, but in the end I think this does get over the bar.

YES(borderline)