ReMixer Name: DusK

User ID: 24328

ReMixer Name: Dj Mokram

User ID: 28433

Game: Dynamite Headdy

Arrangement Name: Zenpyo!

Song Arranged: Ohnami Konami

Platform: Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive

Composer: Nazo² Unit (Katsuhiko Suzuki, Norio Hanzawa, Aki Hata, Koji Yamada and Yasuko)

Release Year: 1994

Source:

Original judges decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33861

Comments (DusK): We subbed this remix to OC ReMix around the time Secret Bonus Point was released back in 2011.

; Lacking high end, bad balance on the rock side of things, etc, etc. I like to think I've grown quite a bit in my abilities since then. So I asked Dj Mokram to hook me up with a WAV of his sections, and then re-recorded all of my parts from scratch, changed up the drums a bit with better samples and such, and varied up that organ a bit so it's not always centered and fits into the mix better.

I disagree with the judges about the remix being all that liberal. There are actually very few parts in the remix where the source tune isn't in there in some form. From the beginning to 1:08, it's pretty conservative, breaking off for an ethnic section which builds off of the source tune's key until 1:30. From there, it extends this sort of brief "intense moment" from the source track (heard in the YouTube video from 1:04 to 1:10) with a solo on top, jumping back into its intro motif before a breakdown, which alludes to the source in the ethnic instrumentation (which is now a bit more audible in that breakdown). After the breakdown, it remains pretty conservative until the end of the track. We really tried to mix up the source in ways that build on it rather than transform it, and I think that might have thrown a few of the judges off last time.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy. :)

----------------------------------------

:05.5-1:14, 1:31-1:58..., I stopped counting once I hit over 50% source usage. I didn't judge the last version, but the source usage was pretty straightforward and apparent for the first half, so I'm not sure what the concerns were there. It's a little bit of a difficult source to wrap one's head around (it ain't easily hummable), but it's definitely there and not too difficult to make out.

Once the melody came in at :21, the mixing didn't sound ideal since the countermelody until :35 got buried. Not a huge deal, but it definitely felt like the beeps in the countermelody were mudding up there and from 1:45-1:58; it would have been better for the lead to not be obscured. The clav/organ/wuteva from :45-:55 sounded flat and lifeless. Those were the minor issues.

Otherwise, a HEAVY arrangement with lots of energy and some overall strong instrumentation. A small thought, but I also loved the Eastern instruments at 2:54 for a great dynamic shift before the finish; nice touch there. Dunno what issues held this back before, but they ain't here now. Strong sauce, you two.

YES

Edited by Liontamer

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I can dig this. Nice arrangement of a rather tricky source tune. The production is good! Reasonably clean and punchy, but there are quite a few nitpicks here that could really boost this. Overall the production is a little flat due to compression. There is also a distinct lack of bass here (with the exception of the kick) and the guitar is a bit too overpowering and loud when power chording its way through the track, which makes parts when its not as prominent with the chords quite empty in comparison (1:05). It also seems to push other instruments aside which makes for a slightly muddy soundscape when you've got these other instruments fighting for some leg room.

However, slightly loud guitars and slight lack of bass imo don't counteract a pretty awesome arrangement, even tho this is cutting it just a bit close for me. Nice work guys!

YES

• 1 month later...

This is a great arrangement. Plenty of source usage here, even the mixed time-sig stuff which I love. Great soloing and unique writing additions as well.

The mix does sound a little bit dynamically flat, feels a little cluttered at times, and lacks a bit of low end. I feel like the lead guitar competes with the backing guitars just a bit, but it still sounds good. The kick and toms sound excellent, loud and punchy.

I love those Japanese instruments and the Taiko drumming so much! I feel like there are missed opportunities here though. The flute, plucked instruments, and even the organ are competing for frequency space and could benefit from some creative eq, stereo-separation and/or reverb tricks to separate them. These instruments and drums could have so much more presence and sparkle if they had only been stereo-separated a little bit wider, or maybe panned left and right, or given some fun effects or something, to add some 3d surprises for the listener, adding nice contrast to the metal. Something to think about for next time.

Overall, I'm loving this mix. Awesome ending. Great job guyzzz!

YES

It’s a strong arrangement, some super shredding, and I love the Oriental flavor Mokram added to it. I do have a few issues, though:

I’m not hearing any bassline at all. I think if you were to write in a good bassline and make room for it in the mix, it would sound a lot more full. You’ve tried to compensate with your guitar tone, but to my ears it kinda just makes it a little muddy. Plus, as it stands, the guitars and the drums are fighting for that low-mid area. You’ll want to roll off the low end of the guitar, and then maybe sharpen up the higher-midrange of the drums as well.

I’m also a bit concerned that the drums are somewhat mechanical—they’re just a bit *too* perfect in terms of timing, so you can tell that they were played by a piano roll. DusK, you also know my issues with the default FPC drum samples (my faaaaaaavorite….yeah….that!), but I don’t think I can make that a dealbreaker crit.

Overall, I think this is just a bassline away from being a great metal track, and any other tweaks would be the icing on the proverbial cake. I know there are a lot of YES votes here already, so this could be a moot point in any case, but I’d love to hear this with those additions.

NO, Resubmit