Girls' Generation "The Boys" remix

TheKrow

So uh yeah. Not really an original, but not really a game remix either, so I guess I'll post this here.

Apparently I missed the train when there was an official remix competition for this song like over 2 years ago, so that kinda sucks. But hey, I still like it and wanted to do something.

I'm just looking for some feedback, mainly on mixing, but if you have something else to say then go for it. I can get it to sound pretty good on certain headphones/speakers, but I don't think it's quite there yet. A second set of ears would be greatly appreciated!

stats.png

Edited by TheKrow

Thanks! And yeah, I love them. If you haven't seen Taeyeon's "Devil's Cry" performance, you should check it out, a lot of people don't know it even exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJLQDqiua4w

Sweet.

Sucks that you haven't got more feedback on here. I'd offer more, but mixing isn't my area of expertise. Most don't give a shit about this part of the site, sadly.

Most don't give a shit about this part of the site, sadly.

few years ago i thought exactly the same. Nothing changed.

I'll back to this when I get home

Edit:

Overcompression. Upfront bass - borrowed drums. Overall i think if you check your kick drum you'll understand what cause overcompression.

Too long sustain, too much lows plus compressor(master?) ruin your sound scape. Other then that it's a great stuff!!! I'm loving it!

Edited by Mak Eightman

few years ago i thought exactly the same. Nothing changed.

I'll back to this when I get home

Edit:

Overcompression. Upfront bass - borrowed drums. Overall i think if you check your kick drum you'll understand what cause overcompression.

Too long sustain, too much lows plus compressor(master?) ruin your sound scape. Other then that it's a great stuff!!! I'm loving it!

Thanks for the tips! How should I go about bringing the bass back a little without taking away a bit of the punch? Should I just pull out some of the 50-150 Hz range? Boost around 1k Hz? I still wanna have it stand out at least during the verses.

I was actually thinking about the kick the other day, you're definitely right; I gotta pull some of the room sound, I think that's the problem. And I'll make sure to check my master limiter, I usually always start with a -2dB ceiling.

For some reason i think the only problem is compression.

You don't have to cut lows to much. I'd say cut below 60Hz is nuf for kick.

But you have to check other instruments freqs(guitar). Probably guitars conflicting with kick drum and bass somewhere around 120Hz(maybe 80-250Hz).

Try to turn off ALL compressors. Then listen how it works. Feel the different.

I prefer to mix my stuff without master compressor. When I satisfied with mix I master it. Then i fix conflicting freqs, giving needed freq priority to needed instrument(rhythm guitars don't need lot of stuff below 90Hz(120) in my case). Other words, I simply giving exact freq to exact instrument. Kick - 80hz and 4-8kHZ

Snare - 100-250hz And 4-8kHz

Guitars - 90-120hz and around 4khz(depends of amp).

ETC. Freqs I don't need, I cut till compression and loudness get in right place.

Specific stuff) Try to find that different with/without compressor. It'll help. I'm sure.

SFME!

edit: I had a great mixed track once, which was destroyed by compressor closer to end of the track. Why? Because of ONE SINGLE hit on Crash cymbal! I turned down hit power just a little bit(very very very little bit) and mix back to normal. Be careful with compressors)

Edited by Mak Eightman

Thanks, this small guide helps a lot. Most of what I do is electronic so I'm very new to mixing acoustic instruments and thick guitar tones, as well as vocals.

I actually worked a bit on it this morning and I definitely got it to sound better in the lows... but listening to the track between headphones and monitors and even my car, the guitars became too hollow. I'm gonna have to see what I can do there, it's already too late for me to change my amp tone and I really don't want to rerecord lol.

I also gotta be careful not to rely on looking at a parametric EQ too much and actually listen to what I'm changing :P

Edit: Updated song in first post, adjusted overall frequency placement. Can't say this one is much better, just different.

Edited by TheKrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually had a chance to listen to this on my friend's nice set of studio monitors (sub included) about a week ago, so I know for sure now what I need to fix. I think I'll get it if I just play around with the low end for a while. I'll have something better to show once I get my laptop's CPU fan fixed :P

• 1 month later...