Best YouTube Gamer Personalities

The Legendary Zoltan

I want to find a few more good podcasts and youtube shows.

Podcasts I currently listen to are:

RPGcast

The Starlight Megaphone

8-4 Play

Picking Up the Pixels

Final Fantasy Union

Kingdom Hearts Union

Actually, I may have enough podcasts. One more weekly one would be nice though.

YouTube shows I currently watch are:

Smooth McGroove

The Completionist

Jon Tron

Any other good one that are still creating today? That is a requirement for me. Thank you, everyone.

The Completionist

Jon Tron

Continue? (also does a bi-monthly? podcast)

PeanutButterGamer (also has a gameplay channel worth checking out, particularly the Hardcore series)

DidYouKnow Gaming, if that counts.

I've never watched Indie Games Searchlight, but if you add that as well, then you would have the whole NormalBoots Group.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Edited by Darkomega99

I have a close friend who is starting back up his channel blinkkandyoumissit ( http://youtube.com/user/blinkkandyoumissit ). it was once quite a bit more popular but because he thought he was done for a year, he lost a lot of his subscribers, and only his loyal ones stayed.

from the stuff I've seen, he's gotten way more entertaining and while he used to only do LP's, he's now doing shows that have a PBGGamer and JonTron feel to them. he's only got two episodes of that right now and a KH Parody song (which I recorded and produced and sung a bit on hehehe along with being a featured YouTuber in the Harry Potter episode he did)

this probably totally feels like I'm advertising my friend and myself. that wasn't the original intention hahaha. he's just the first guy to come to my mind after PBG and JonTron.

I usually watch The Completionist, JonTron, and Errant Signal. I sometimes watch Extra Credits, but their format seems to have become a little thin lately. I used to be a fan of the Game Overthinker back when he was more philosophical about games and talked on not-controversial subjects as an opinion piece, but recently it's just been "here's my view on the latest controversy also watch 10 mins of me sword fighting my brother on camera."

Also, as of late they haven't been big about games, but I gotta mention Loading Ready Run, which provides content almost every single day and it is spot-on comedy every time, and its rife with game humor and other subjects like magic and movies.

I'm a big fan of Criken who does something between Let's Plays and highlight reels. He tends to pick multiplayer games and then spend a bunch of time playing them with his friends, and then posts the more entertaining/funny parts that result. Occasionally he does single player games, but still has his friends watching and commenting instead of actively participating. Either way, it's usually goddamn hilarious.

I've also been watching Extra Credits since sephfire first started putting them up on YouTube and posting threads about them here at OCR. But that goes without saying, because everyone here knows how awesome EC is because they watch it religiously, right?

Edited by Native Jovian

Back in the day, before twitch and youtube personalities, I watched LP's of these four guys Medibot, Kung-Fu Jesus, My Name Is Kaz, and pokecapn. I watched their let's plays of Sonic 2006 and ever since then I've watched what they've made, I've seen all of FF XIII-2 because of them. They don't post often, but they always make a Let's Play for the sonic games that come out. I really like them cause they just act normal, they don't feel like they have to please the audience, they just talk among themselves and it just happens to be funny stuff. You can check out their stuff at the lparchive.org.

I watch Game Grumps, some people didn't like that JonTron left the show, but I still like it.

I'd argue that the show has improved several times over since Jon left. Not that Jon was bad or anything (he is of course hilarious,) but I enjoy Danny's style of humor more. Plus, Steam Rolled is amazing (and was probably something that only happened because Jon wasn't there anymore.)

Classic Game Room has some quick and easily digestible reviews. They're not typically very deep reviews, but Mark's delivery is quite amusing. Great show to watch, especially if you love SEGA, flamethrowers, El Caminos, and the Vectrex.

If you like Minecraft, then the Yogscast is for you!

If not, then The Yogscast is also for you!

The have around 10 different channels, and they play a large variety of games. The guys have a great sence of humor and are a blast to watch. The ones I enjoy watching the most are the dynamic duo of "Sips and Sjin", "Martin or Inthelittlewood", and "Simon and Lewis"

You should give them a try then are really great!

Two Best Friends Play- It's basically two guys (with two other friends that occasionally sit in with them) doing commentary over the games they play. Some are full play throughs, others are just partial ones, but they're generally enjoyable thanks to the bantering of Matt and Pat. They're currently doing "Shitstorm 2," where they play through a supposedly scary game a day for the month.

Yeah if we're beginning to suggest LPers, then Game Grumps (even though I still liked Jon better), markiplier, and I even suggest TobyGames, even though everyone and their mother knows about TobyGames and has probably seen at least one of his videos. He was most entertaining with his Skyward Sword playthrough, though, which he never finished, like half the games he plays.

No, I do not suggest PewDiePie, the somehow most successful LPer out there. I don't get it. I think he's a repetitive idiot who just says the same crap jokes and uses profanity horribly just because he can. Game Grumps sorta does too, but they make it sorta worth it, in a way. PewDiePie is just stupid to me, honestly. I'm almost disappointed in the world for that. smosh being the most subscribed was ridiculous enough. PewDiePie then taking over is just disappointing. No offense, but this is how I seriously think of it: are we really all that stupid? do we seriously have 13+ million people who find this stuff funny over and over again? Really?

maybe pewdiepie has 12million alt accounts, and he's not really as popular as he makes it seem. one can only hope.

I would endorse Gamegrumps , but I can only mainly recommend Jon-era grumps. Danny just doesnt do it for me, although steam rolled is pretty good.

I used to watch Two Best Friends Play a lot, they are great, highly recommeneded.

SomeOrdinaryGamers is really good, he does Playthroughs of various things, and does creepypasta readings.

I also Enjoy Yuri of Wind sometimes. He does a few different things on his channel, I don't really know what i would classify it as.

Spigazusaur is good too, he does game reviews, his accent is a little hard to understand sometimes, but he's good.

ModernWarNegro is pretty funny too, does a few different things on his channel. you may or may not like it, it depends.

and how could I almost forget Cr1TiKaL? Give him a try sometime, he's probably one of my absolute favorite youtubers

Edited by Darkomega99

Some of my favorites right now:

Caddicarus: a hilarious and insightful British reviewer focusing mainly on PS1 titles. Very much in the same vein as JonTron and PeanutButterGamer.

IkiFoo: Exceptionally under-appreciated adventure game reviewer from Glasgow. Needs more love, his reviews are excellent.

Lazy Game Reviews: Great laid back reviewer who focuses a lot on old-school PC stuff, and has a penchant for anything related to The Sims.

TotalBiscuit is my go-to choice for keeping up with industry news. I've been following that guy since the very start when he only had his video of stalking WoW goldfarmers. I think we share a lot of sensibilities when it comes to taste in games, and I especially like how lately he has put a lot of effort into lampshading the regression of game design in favor of "cinematic experiences".

Lazy Game Reviews has really come into its own lately. I just love the overall tone of that show, the narration and the obscurities covered.

Stuff like PewDiePie strikes me as something that has turned into a very cynical cash-in for over the top commentary. It feels eerily cold and calculated in its sheer immaturity and presentation. Pretty much the Glenn Beck of gaming, just saying exactly what his target demographic wants to hear.

Occasionally I check Vinesauce for the latest WTF-inducing ROM corruption using random Game Genie/PAR codes.

Edited by lazygecko

I actually like RetroChallengeGamer. He doesn't seem to pander to any audience and truly seems to be doing it just for fun. He also sometimes gets his wife in on the action to somewhat hilarious results. Good solid channel that seems to have some growing promise. He also fills in his commentary with background info about the games, its characters or just his initial impressions of the game when he first played through it. He can be a chatterbox however...

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to mention one of the best and most unique personalities, Matt Barton. Mostly PC/computers like LGR, also with a very laid back attitude, but what sets it apart is how he often takes the time and effort to do video interviews with old developers that are very insightful. Many obscure and forgotten devs get some time to shine as well as more well known figures like John Romero and Richard Garriot.