I launched a website...Renaissance Man Studio

XPRTNovice

Well, I kind of did it like two months ago, but for some reason I never posted it here. I thought you guys might be interested, AND I wanted to clear up some confusion on some of the names I use.

The name of the studio is Renaissance Man Studio (@RenManStudio for twitter, etc), because it's a combination of voiceover and music work with some editing/writing services offered on the side. I've been into voiceovers for about 8 moths now and it's bringing me great results and a lot of clients (about 85 to date). I had some trouble trying to figure out if I wanted to brand myself as XPRTNovice or go with something broader, and I went with the broad option (because I'm also getting much more business with voice than music).

Anyway, that's my story and here is the site. If any of you work for production companies that could use a voiceover artist (I wouldn't dare ask you to refer me for music, as most of you deserve whatever that job is more than me) I would probably love you forever.

I have a few questions for curiosity's sake (if that's okay)

1) Do you have a preference between doing voiceovers and voice acting?

2) How did you start doing voice work?

Sometimes, I'd think I could do voice acting, but I never did anything even remotely close to pursuing it. When I go on long drives by myself and I drink an energy drink, I sometimes get loopy and start doing random voices/accents. SHRUG.

I have a few questions for curiosity's sake (if that's okay)

1) Do you have a preference between doing voiceovers and voice acting?

2) How did you start doing voice work?

I'd prefer to do voice acting (I assume you're talking about video game, cartoons, and other entertainment rather than corporate/commercial), but voice acting, like regular acting, has different gateways. Most big voice ACTING jobs that are worth your time are going to require you to be represented by an agent or jump through some other hoops. I'm a freelancer. Voiceovers for commercials and the like are easier to break into. Currently, I exclusively use voices.com as a source of freelancing jobs (I have a blog post about it on my site you can read about) and there are a few other sites out there that act as conduits for small time voiceovers.

Congrats on the launch! I browsed around and noticed that you actually put a testimonial quote by me in your pudding page. I feel so honored! It's the last one under music testimonials in which you listed me as an OCR fan. :)

If I ever have a music-related project down the line for some reason or another, you would definitely be one of the first in my list to contact.

You founded the USAFA jazz band on '04? Nice, that's when my brother graduated from there. He played trombone in high school, not sure if he ever played it there, I'll have to ask him if he knew about it.

Small world! If he graduated in 04, then I probably never met him. I was a sophomore at the time and didn't take on any upper classmen because I wanted a group that would solidify for four years. The band is still there, too, though I'm not in contact with any of the members.

Edit: I just realized that I started the band in the fall of 04, and if he's an 04 grad he graduated in May, so he never would have heard of it.

Edited by XPRTNovice