OCR00401 - Final Fantasy VI "Terra Tripmachine"

Saunders

Final Fantasy VI 'Terra Tripmachine'

I don’t care for the way this one starts out, the notes sound off and out of sync, I suppose that’s possibly how it’s supposed to sound, but when it gets into the main song it’s a lot better. Deep heavy bass, and light melody samples, this is a really dance happy mix, ending in the same fashion that it started. Unfortunately outside the beginning and end, I detected nothing outstandingly special or mentionable about this mix. It’s good, hell it’s great. But it’s still Terra and Techno. 3/5

• 1 month later...

I liked this one a lot. I (apparently unlike the others) like the way it begins and ends. I like how the notes are slightly off synch, but it's all still in rythm... but there is no rythm. I like this one a lot. I think the only problem with it, is in the middle it starts to get a little repetative. You know, the same part over and over and over. But, I think that's really all that detracts from it. 4/5 stars.

• 9 months later...

For techno or trance, this is exceptional. I actually liked the intro and ending very much, despite how minimal they were. I only have two real problems with it, and they're not very big. The first is that the lead instrument doesn't stand out much, and the first time I listened to it with headphones, I could barely hear it at all. The second is that there's a bit of the melody missing. The melody thing is more of a personal preference; I like to hear the whole original in a remix, but the lead volume issue is easily fixed. Out of ten, I would give this an 8.5.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool track. I was looking for a techno version of the Terra song and this one just rocks. The intro and ending could be changed a little so that is slowly changes into techno. The intro ending also should be faster. Other than that, everything else is good.

Definitely don't want to jump to conclusions, but I'm wondering what the relationship is between this "TerraTripMachine" and the Terra remix by a guy named TripMachine here:

http://www.vgmidi.com/html/osr3results.htm

The base melodies (beyond just the standard Terra theme, duh) are the same, but this one is slightly more techno. Even so, at the very least I think it should be made more clear than just putting the guy in the title that this is a remix of a remix, not just a remix of the original song.

Both are very cool, however, and I actually downloaded this one because I liked the first one so much.

• 6 months later...
Definitely don't want to jump to conclusions, but I'm wondering what the relationship is between this "TerraTripMachine" and the Terra remix by a guy named TripMachine here:

http://www.vgmidi.com/html/osr3results.htm

The base melodies (beyond just the standard Terra theme, duh) are the same, but this one is slightly more techno. Even so, at the very least I think it should be made more clear than just putting the guy in the title that this is a remix of a remix, not just a remix of the original song.

Both are very cool, however, and I actually downloaded this one because I liked the first one so much.

Yup, that's me! Wow, I remixed that such a long time ago it was cool to hear it again, in OCR... although it would've been nice if I got some credit for it other than putting my name in the song title, which doesn't say much =S or at least some notification, I think my contacts could have been found in the midi file... oh well, still cool to hear!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You know, I've been listening to this song for about two and a half years now. I first heard it when I found out about OCRemix, and that was only because of a friend that had been downloading the songs since the sites inception.

Anyways... Despite the fact that I've grown tired with most of the music I have now, I still enjoy JV's song as much as I did when I first heard it. Something about it keeps me interested in it time and again. Even though there are other versions of the same song, I can't help but smile a little bit when it pops up on Winamp every so often. It's one of the few remaining songs I still get excited about when I hear it starting.

So, for making something that has managed to still hold my interest after all this time, and considering I get bored with songs after only a few weeks and I am constantly searching for more and more new music, I say, to you JV, kudos and thanks.

• 5 months later...

This is my #1 fav song in OC_Remix website, so mesmerizing and sounds funky which is never boring. This is the song that I turn on to hear the most in my life 8O. Yes, I told my friends this tune is the best of remixes for the FFIII_VI Terra theme, which I have a collection :D.

• 3 months later...

I don´t know how many terra remixes there are here, but this one got something a little more. I like the beginning when it starts out carefully, it builds up by new added instruments and in comes...an organ, thingie?

I don´t really know, but it sounds very good among the other instruments and the cool beats.

The whole mix is just jumping between the notes, not flowing like many others, therefore the name of the song I guess.

Great stuff, JV

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Not really digging the weirdly sequenced intro and outro, it just strikes me as sloppy rather than something artistic. Once it gets going, it seems kindof basic to me. The rhythm changeups on the melody keep it slightly interesting, and the drums are pretty well done. The half time sections are nice.

There are some additional counterpoint elements that take the forefront in a few sections to give the track a bit more longevity, and though structurally it doesn't really deviate at all, enough new bits are piled on to give it personality.

Decent; check it out if you really love the Terra theme and need to hear all the mixes of it.

• 1 year later...

Wow, this is the first time I've visited since about the time I submitted this ages ago..

Anyways, although it's obviously too late for this, I'd still like to greatly apologize for any misunderstanding!

I certainly did use Trip_Machine's remix, and thought I had mentioned that this was simply a remix of his own remix in my submission.. (and in the original mp3 ID3 tags as well) In fact, I wanted to make sure of the attribution by keeping the same remix title. I don't recall any contact info in the midi file either but I could be wrong. Whatever the case, I should've made sure the page had proper credits and I messed up :tomatoface:

I'm glad that OCremix was able to rectify the situation though.

And to be honest when I listen to the song now, I feel :oops: and am not sure if I did Trip_Machine a service or a disservice. Certainly then I thought, hmm.. good enough, I'm satisfied, submit, lol. But I think DJpretzel was just too much of a Mr Nice Guy at the time, before the rest of the crew came onboard if I recall (with the yellow/orange web page). Definitely would not past muster now with so much talent here.

Heck, I'm asking to remove my Turok submission here.. gah.. not even a real 'remix'.

• 2 years later...

Man, talk about a blast from the past. I love my Terra, and this mix provides a unique take on the source material, if dated. This mix really makes me wonder how it would sound if updated though. The arrangement itself isn't bad. It still has its enjoyability even now due to its unique nature and bounciness with the synth usage.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00401 - Final Fantasy VI "Terra Tripmachine"
  • 4 years later...