Help me please I'm new to this all...

Ok I want to make vgremix's (for fun) however I have never ever taken an interest in making music before.

I have no knowledge on music making (i'm more of a programmer and artist). I read most of the stickies but none of them actually helped me.

Most of them assume you know how to make music already (such as the terminology they use). I cant understand half of the things that they say.

It would be really helpfull if anyone could point me to a nice tutorial on how to make music (even if its one of those "cookie cutters"). I have googled this and read most of the stickies (obviously not every post in them as some threads have loads of posts in them).

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I made this little loop in FL I am quite proud of it but since im so new to this it's prolly crap. (I never gave it its own thread because it might not be worthy) comments on it would be appretiated. I have named the piece HardQuestion.

http://files.filefront.com/HardQuestionmp3/;4940467;;/fileinfo.html

Ok I want to make vgremix's (for fun) however I have never ever taken an interest in making music before.

A video game music remix is not a genre on its own. You'll hear all kinds of stuff coming by here; you don't want to make remixes, you want to make music.

It would be really helpfull if anyone could point me to a nice tutorial on how to make music (even if its one of those "cookie cutters").

Go to your local Guitar Center or order a book from Amazon on the subject you want to explore.

I have googled this and read most of the stickies (obviously not every post in them as some threads have loads of posts in them).

But "music" on itself is well - vague. What do you want to learn? How to play? How to compose? How to use a certain program? How to mix? (this means taking a load of instruments and correctly balancing out their volume, or adding effects) How to master? (to make the recording or piece of music ready to be put on CD).

There is no "how to remix" because as I said earlier, remixing is a re-interpretation of existing music, and it allows you to do this in a different style.

re: your music: it seems that you have to learn how to compose, and how notes and rhythm work. The default samples of FL are already bad enough as it is, but it almost sounds if you have placed 'm randomly, without much regard for how they're used in a musical context.

Solution: learn how to play an instrument (any); for computers, a keyboard is usually the most effective because it can send out controller signals. It's easy enough to learn chords (and harder to read and memorize them), but if you don't have anything to play 'm on (and a mouse can't trigger 3 notes at the same time plus it won't learn you how to work with a piano roll) the buck kind of stops.

Thing is, this can't be done in cookie cutter format. There's www.chordmaps.com which is nice but useless if you can't play them anywhere. Just putting 'm after eachother won't help much either; they are played with different or similar lengths for a certain effect.

Personally, I'd do this: Pick up a keyboard or synth or controller somewhere. Dial up a piano sound. Buy a book for lessons and a metronome.

Once you can play in tune and on time, pick up FL again. Then you'll notice things start to mesh together and it all clicks.

Learn the basics of music theory, and maybe pick up an instrument. It'll be super helpful to you in the long run. Otherwise, you'll be in the dark trying to make music.

Then comes the task of learning to create computer-based music.

Expect both things to take a long time to learn. If you're new to music there's no quick solution. ;)

Yoozer - Thanks for your help, I guess I dont have enough time to do all the things you mentioned, maybe when i'm older and college free.

ArgleBargle - Funny it was the basics that I was asking for in this thread. And learning an instrument is too much work for me at the moment.

I guess all I can do now is give up and try later some time, thanks for clarifications guy's.

Yoozer - Thanks for your help, I guess I dont have enough time to do all the things you mentioned, maybe when i'm older and college free.

ArgleBargle - Funny it was the basics that I was asking for in this thread. And learning an instrument is too much work for me at the moment.

I guess all I can do now is give up and try later some time, thanks for clarifications guy's.

Heh. There are plenty of places to learn the basics of theory, it just isn't here. I'll reccomend http://www.teoria.com/, and also wikipedia for learning some basic theory. Then go grab some sheet music, or Midi's, of a song you really like, and see how they do stuff.

Then, once you got some theory under your belt, pop back over here, and we shall tell you how to use you sequencer all awesome like.