Super Monkey Ball 2- Target remix

notMe

Hey All!

Got a mix from Super Monkey Ball 2 I started working on a few days ago... I'm really liking it so far. Here's the original:

Here's my mix (updated):

https://soundcloud.com/mark-fuhrman/monkey-flight-remix-unfinished

It's maybe about 60% done. The vocals are really far from completed, haven't even finished writing em out yet... but I included the half I got just to give you an idea what they'll sound like later.

Let me know what y'all think!

Thanks!

Edited by notMe
updated

This is pretty awesome. I think the vocals would be good without the distortion. As it is they need some strong de-essing on them. I can understand it stylistically but it is hurty on the ears. The mix also seems a little repetitive, I think you could switch up some of the verses to make them distinct and different from each other. Maybe have one that's low key and lets the vocals breathe more, and maybe one that changes up the instrumentation a bit. Just small suggestions! But this is cool and I hope you are able to make it on OCR with it eventually!

Thanks! actually those vocals are going to be completely scrapped- that was just a one-take to get a feel for how they'll fit with the piece.

I agree less distortion could certainly help in some areas, but I actually kind of like it- it gives the sense of it feeling like you're in a cockpit listening to them over a radio. I don't know, that's the picture I get. Actually, now that I think of it, maybe switching between distorted/clear could be a nice effect to give a section some extra punch when the text calls for it.

Okay. Update time!

here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/mark-fuhrman/monkey-flight-remix-unfinished

Still a ways to go, but the piece is mostly written at least. Still got a HUGE amount of mixing to do- that's going to be a headache. Also haven't really touched the drums- they will be much more varied and interesting later. Might re-record the vocals too, but at least I have the whole song's worth this time:)

Thanks Brandon for the advice on the distortion- after listening more I agreed that it was too much- especially with the s's, which I have no clue how to fix. I'm not a huge fan of my voice, and I think that's why I was hesitant to change.

Any new thoughts?