"Christian" ReMix?

notMe

Hey all!

I haven't really been around this forum before, don't know why not, as it's something rather important to me. Anyway, an introduction- I'm a Christian, and a musician, I guess that I would say that my faith informs my art, but also that art informs my faith. Anywho, that's a whole 'nother discussion.

My purpose for this thread is I'd like a little feedback from the other Christians on this site. I guess I've kinda flung myself into making a remix for OCR that has a gospel message. Blatantly. My questions for you guys are:

1.) Has anything like that been attempted before on OCR? And if so, has anything been accepted by the judges panel?

- I guess to me it seems that if it met the submission requirements and was a quality mix, they *might* accept it? They seem like a pretty decent bunch, so one could hope. Then again, the gospel is offensive, and it would probably stir lots of controversy, so maybe they'd like to avoid that?

2.) Whatever the answer to #1, I'm still planning on proceding with my remix. I have no clue how to classify it in a genre, I guess it's kind of like spoken word, but I suck at genres. If it never get's posted on this site, oh well. I've been praying that God would help me write a killer mix, with Spirit-infused text, and that people would be open to it on this site, but I'm prepared to maybe just plant seeds or something. Anyway, I'd absolutely loooove some feedback from fellow Christians on it (from anybody really, but only believers could really get me the critique on the text that I would like). So here's the thread I started in the remix workshop forums:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45216

as of this writing, there's only about 1/3 of the text in the mix so far, but I think I'm mostly done writing it. I could post the full text if anybody would be interested in taking a look.

Thanks so much in advance! It really is encouraging to find that there are other brothers and sisters on this site!

While it's true this isn't a particularly religious community (for good reason) if it's good and fits the judges' criteria, I shouldn't think the subject matter should be a problem. We're all generally accepting and mature people here and I think it would be an interesting change of pace.

I personally don't know if there is a religious content policy (and I'm too lazy to look for it), but go for it. It can't possibly be as offensive as some of the auto-reject stuff they probably get. :P

I don't know of any Christian music being done for OCR before, though I have given it some real thought (though I'd be going more for traditional latin mass, myself). The site should not reject it on grounds that it has a Christian message (there are no rules against it), though you'll probably get people in the comments section saying it'd be better without the words.

Two suggestions on this: First, write music that is well produced and is still recognizable as the source tune, since those are the grounds that you could get knocked down by. Second, make the lyrics/singing integral to the music, as it'd be no good if you made a track with a Christian message and have a NO/RESUB suggestion of removing the lyrics because they sound 'tacked on'.

I've actually been wondering when someone would try to pull this off - let's see something happen!

Two suggestions on this: First, write music that is well produced and is still recognizable as the source tune, since those are the grounds that you could get knocked down by. Second, make the lyrics/singing integral to the music, as it'd be no good if you made a track with a Christian message and have a NO/RESUB suggestion of removing the lyrics because they sound 'tacked on'.

Okay. So maybe the song I picked isn't a super well known song, but I'm pretty sure that as far as the source being in my mix, its almost all that's is there. I actually feel I went a little conservative so far on the arrangement.

Second, the lyrics, to me are inseparable from the music. I tried to create an atmosphere of flying through the sky over an ocean, and the lyrics are basically relating the gospel message to that picture. However, I'm not sure that others won't be able to see that.

Just do it.

I think the topic came up in DrumUltimA's CT remix' review thread (edit: nope), amidst a big discussion about track names and biblical commandments and being culturally insensitive and whatnot. It's not a concept that's new to ocr, although we're still waiting on something people understand the words to.

edit: I recall someone on staff (could be Liontamer), back then, specifically suggesting rap and a Kirby source in regards to making a christian remix. I thought it was in that thread, but it must have been somewhere else, possibly the forum, possible irc. In any case, I don't think there's any reason it couldn't be posted, assuming it passes the standards for remixes.

Edited by Rozovian

I shouldn't think there'd be a problem, but unfortunately with the way "politically correct" works nowadays and things related to that matter, the judges also have to be sure it doesn't offend anyone.

Obviously, my assumption is that from a general perspective, it shouldn't offend anyone. Obviously wouldn't offend me, I'd be all for it cuz I'm a Believer.

Hey all!

I haven't really been around this forum before, don't know why not, as it's something rather important to me. Anyway, an introduction- I'm a Christian, and a musician, I guess that I would say that my faith informs my art, but also that art informs my faith. Anywho, that's a whole 'nother discussion.

My purpose for this thread is I'd like a little feedback from the other Christians on this site. I guess I've kinda flung myself into making a remix for OCR that has a gospel message. Blatantly. My questions for you guys are:

1.) Has anything like that been attempted before on OCR? And if so, has anything been accepted by the judges panel?

- I guess to me it seems that if it met the submission requirements and was a quality mix, they *might* accept it? They seem like a pretty decent bunch, so one could hope. Then again, the gospel is offensive, and it would probably stir lots of controversy, so maybe they'd like to avoid that?

2.) Whatever the answer to #1, I'm still planning on proceding with my remix. I have no clue how to classify it in a genre, I guess it's kind of like spoken word, but I suck at genres. If it never get's posted on this site, oh well. I've been praying that God would help me write a killer mix, with Spirit-infused text, and that people would be open to it on this site, but I'm prepared to maybe just plant seeds or something. Anyway, I'd absolutely loooove some feedback from fellow Christians on it (from anybody really, but only believers could really get me the critique on the text that I would like). So here's the thread I started in the remix workshop forums:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45216

as of this writing, there's only about 1/3 of the text in the mix so far, but I think I'm mostly done writing it. I could post the full text if anybody would be interested in taking a look.

Thanks so much in advance! It really is encouraging to find that there are other brothers and sisters on this site!

Mega-atheist here. Raised Christian, don't hate it, just flatly don't believe in it. Also in charge of the submissions evaluation process. :lol:

1a) We've not had any overtly Christian music submitted.

1b) This bums us out, along with no reggae, no country, and no live accordion submissions.

1c) We're 100% cool with Christian-oriented VGM arrangements being submitted here. Genre controversy isn't something we care about. If we were that sensitive, we'd automatically reject all vocal, hip hop, metal and dubstep arrangements, i.e. the ones guaranteed to get hate from some closed-minded/outspokenly douchey segment of listeners.

1d) If it passes the arrangement and production bar, we'll post it. The genre doesn't matter. Send it.

Also, why is this in Off Topic? While there's the religious slant, it's about site rules. Welcome to Community. Enjoy your stay. Anyone chiming in with irrelevant anti-Christian stuff because they don't want to help offer suggestions to this proposed arrangement will get dealt with. :-)

I recall someone on staff (could be Liontamer), back then, specifically suggesting rap and a Kirby source in regards to making a christian remix.

I don't recall saying that, but it's a cool idea nonetheless.

I shouldn't think there'd be a problem, but unfortunately with the way "politically correct" works nowadays and things related to that matter, the judges also have to be sure it doesn't offend anyone.

True. That's exactly how the site functions now. Fear. We're definitely scared to offend anyone.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00209/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00349/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01125/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01678/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01865/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01923/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02071/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02286/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02752/

Edited by Liontamer
added "FEAR"

As a Christian, I have never considered OC ReMix an adequate outlet for Christian music, or else I would have done it by now. I explain my views in my Wild Arms remix mix notes. I don't want to suggest that the publicly declared mega-atheists of OCR would be incapable of covering your song without a certain amount of derision, just be aware of what you will be producing and for what audience. :-) And if you choose to do it and they don't accept it, then at least you did it. You could put it on YouTube or something.

I started one years ago and made a roughly 90 second SMB3 instrumental mix. I scribbled some lyrics, but never recorded them.

I still have the mp3, but at the time I only had the FL Studio demo, ergo, no source file. I've thought about trying to recreate it from scratch, though.

If something does come out of this, please PM me. As OCR's resident Bible Thumper (probably 2nd only to Thin Crust), I would LOVE to be involved.

Welcome to OCR.

**side note** I DID make brief EDM-ish version of "I Know It Was The Blood"... 4x4 4 tha Lord!

Speaking as someone who is not religious in any sense of the word, as long as the song is well done, the lyrics don't matter to me in the slightest. Whether the lyrics are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, or any other religion past or present, a good song is a good song.

That being said, the only exception would be if the lyrics include blatantly offensive attacks on a particular group or groups of people.

Can attacks be blatant and offensive if they manage to rhyme well? Like....

I don't like Muslims, I think they smell

All those terrorists will burn in Hell!

I don't like Buddha, or Hinduism

False religions belong in prisons

Jews love money, they want your cash

Won't make it rain, just want the ass

They deny Christ as the savior

Should be forced to do hard labor

I do not percieve this community as adequate and appropiate for unfinishing battles between religions. I am Christian, but i really don't want to judge others or be judged by others because of this. Seriously. I didn't even though this topic would even exist here. Sorry about it. But i simply believe there is no place for religion in here. Here is just music. And even more, already composed. Would it be something wrong in reproducing it in any way just beause you belong in some religion? As a Christian (that actually i'm very religious) i just consider religions aren't involved in making ReMixes.