"Christian" ReMix?

notMe

Can attacks be blatant and offensive if they manage to rhyme well?

No hate speech. Obviously.

I do not percieve this community as adequate and appropiate for unfinishing battles between religions. I am Christian, but i really don't want to judge others or be judged by others because of this. Seriously. I didn't even though this topic would even exist here. Sorry about it. But i simply believe there is no place for religion in here. Here is just music. And even more, already composed. Would it be something wrong in reproducing it in any way just beause you belong in some religion? As a Christian (that actually i'm very religious) i just consider religions aren't involved in making ReMixes.

The question came up because the OP wasn't sure if an arrangement that contained Christian-oriented lyrics would be too controversial to post. That said, it's not. You're certainly free to ignore any mix you don't like though.

EDIT: Politics, Philosophy & Religion forum. It's OK to talk about religion.

Edited by Liontamer

I didn't know there was a no hate speech policy. In usual scenarios hate speech can be ingrained in a specific genre, say Black Metal, or even Grindcore -- though not ALL of it, obviously. And it's easy enough for an artist to disregard the norms of a genre while still mostly remaining traditional with it. Something like lyrics is small enough that nobody would notice, and there ARE Christian Black Metal bands. (Or Unblack Metal if you want to be trendy and use the new vernacular)

I suppose any "diss" tracks, if there are any, would not be considered hate speech? I can think of one but it's obviously a thing between friends. Is it up to the site to determine whether it is a gag between friends or would such songs just be accepted? Not that I'm planning on doing such a thing, the topic just made me curious.

I should really start making acoustic Christian music for OCR, just that and nothing else. Who knows, maybe the first time someone actually does this, we will find out that there's a huge crowd of fans just waiting for that and it'd be a big boost for OCR. /shrug

I suppose any "diss" tracks, if there are any, would not be considered hate speech? I can think of one but it's obviously a thing between friends. Is it up to the site to determine whether it is a gag between friends or would such songs just be accepted? Not that I'm planning on doing such a thing, the topic just made me curious.

No need to overthink it. If we see something questionable, which would be rare (and hasn't really happened yet), we'll talk it over among the staff and djpretzel can make the call. Star Salzman's "STFU" almost got to that point re: taste as opposed to anything hateful, but it was a joke mix (so he wasn't trying hard) and the arrangement ended up being below the bar anyway, so it was a moot point then. :lol:

The most explicitly-christian mix on the site, as far as I'm aware, is this one; the lyrics are a Swahili adaptation of the lord's prayer.

Ironically enough, the concept and the first half of the arrangement were done by an atheist -- namely, me. The second half was arranged by brad who is, if I recall correctly, christian.

I don't like Muslims, I think they smell

All those terrorists will burn in Hell!

I don't like Buddha, or Hinduism

False religions belong in prisons

Jews love money, they want your cash

Won't make it rain, just want the ass

They deny Christ as the savior

Should be forced to do hard labor

beautifully genius.

thanks all for your input!

I think I posted this in the philosophy/etc. forum mainly because I was also interested in getting some critique on my lyrics, which, towards the end, will get pretty blatantly Christian, and I would like feedback from other Christians on how to word things so my message is clear but not pushy. I guess i may not have said that in the OP, don't remember. But I'm willing to either post a draft of the text, or I could PM it to someone if they wanted.

I guess to me it seems that if it met the submission requirements and was a quality mix, they *might* accept it? They seem like a pretty decent bunch, so one could hope. Then again, the gospel is offensive, and it would probably stir lots of controversy, so maybe they'd like to avoid that?

In Western culture and alleging Christianity is offensive. People, plz.

Just to keep it in perspective -- considering how much of our Western tonal language developed inside Churches, it would be a strange twist of history to feel the subject is somehow unsuited for a community devoted to music that is predominately of that tonality.

But I would echo Gario in noting that Christian lyrics are still as open to aesthetic criticism (or even ridicule, as the case may be) as any other subject matter.

Edited by Patrick Burns

I swear, I saw a post by DjP somewhere once discussing his views on potential Christian-based Remixes... but I can't remember where. :-( A discussion about vocal Remixes, maybe? So frustrating, not being able to remember. Of course, I could be imagining that.

But seriously, I'd post your remix w/lyrics in the Workshop, and then make a post with the link to the Workshop thread in the Christians thread if you're particularly wanting Christian eyes on it to help refine the lyrics. And I think a Christian Remix would be great, personally.

I should really start making acoustic Christian music for OCR, just that and nothing else. Who knows, maybe the first time someone actually does this, we will find out that there's a huge crowd of fans just waiting for that and it'd be a big boost for OCR. /shrug

I actually have a coworker who's a deacon who's repeatedly asked me to keep an eye out for any Christian ReMixes that might pop up on the front page, so he can share them with the two small groups he leads. (Or Phoenix Wright remixes, but those are for himself.) So it's definitely a possibility.

I guess it's kind of like spoken word, but I suck at genres. If it never get's posted on this site, oh well. I've been praying that God would help me write a killer mix, with Spirit-infused text...

I'm not religious, don't know anything about the technical aspects of music, but your description intrigued me. Is your vision along the lines of https://soundcloud.com/random-x/random-x-principia-original? Apparently the verses are part of an Islamic prayer (any Muslim to confirm?)

Or are you creating your own original lyrics inspired by Biblical text?

Whichever option it is, my recc is to not let the music overwhelm the spoken parts.

For me the trouble with the song I posted is the vocals are trying to compete with the instrumental and failing miserably (cuz the music's too damn good! :-P)

I'm not religious, don't know anything about the technical aspects of music, but your description intrigued me. Is your vision along the lines of https://soundcloud.com/random-x/random-x-principia-original? Apparently the verses are part of an Islamic prayer (any Muslim to confirm?)

It's the azan; the call to prayer. Weird to hear it over a very western major key chord progression.

It's the azan; the call to prayer. Weird to hear it over a very western major key chord progression.

Thanks for clearing that up. I saw the word in one of the comments but assumed it was a typo for azn -> Asian.

Only one other source (another soundcloud comment incidentally) mentioned it specifically being a prayer, but since it was just the one I didn't find it too reliable.

I wonder if the oddness is what prompted the producer to only release a Dub version (no full version of the Original was released to my knowledge). Either that, or I'm guessing Herrera received feedback stating its use was offensive.