How did you first hear of/get involved with OCR?

Diodes

A friend gave me a mix CD with a bunch of Zelda tunes on it, some from Ocarina of Time, and some that were remixes, probably off of Limewire. I found myself listening to Po!'s (Now posu yun) HyruleCastleDarkWorld a lot, and staring at the website in the description, wondering what the site was. I didn't really trust random links (rimshot) but one boring day, I typed it in to see what it was all about. I kept coming back after that, grabbing new tunes, until at some point I took a look into the forums. Signed up, latched on, and I've sort of been along for the ride in a very minor capacity ever since.

Sometime in 2002 I found Project Majestic Mix's Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu (probably from searching for Nobuo, don't remember that part). Hanging out on the old PMM forums led to me OCR, VGMix, and OneUp Studios, and I was hooked. Didn't join the OCR forum until years later for whatever reason, but I have downloaded (if not listened to) every ReMix and album and lovingly and meticulously cataloged them into my library. Every now and then I shuffle those and discover new hidden gems and it takes me back to those early 2002 days of discovery and feeling of "this is awesome!"

Back in 2004, I had just played Super Metroid for the first time, and was still obsessively playing Metroid Prime. I looked around the internet for original versions of Lower Norfair and Magmoor Caverns to compare them, and I came across Relics of the Chozo and Adhesive Boy's Braving the Flames.

Almost ten years later I've kept 5GB of OCR tunes and albums on my computer, and continue to add more. I also found VGMix and Dwelling of Duels after coming to this site.

I touched on this a bit during the Be Aggressive! listening party, and then again on OCR Talkback, but I'll post the story anyway.

I used to use BearShare back in my high school years to download video game songs that I liked. During that time, I stumbled on Rayza's "Whirlwind" remix and checked out the MP3's metadata, and that's when I first heard of OverClocked ReMix. I was on 56k for a while, so during my last year of high school, I'd use the T1 connection at my school during my Visual Basic programming class to download a bunch of OC ReMixes and I'd burn them to a CD-R, and then bring 'em home so I could transfer them to my Creative Jukebox Zen. I can't remember exactly what year I was doing this, but it was when OC ReMix had its old blue design.

After high school, I got caught up in work and life stuff, and was pretty focused on the band I was in, so I kinda fell out of OC ReMix. I fell back in again in 2006, when I decided to check the site out again and saw that Project Chaos had been released.

The moment I decided to do VGM remixing was when I was listening to SnappleMan's "Malicious Fingers". After that, I lurked the forums a bit, got insulted by a few people on the forums around 2008 or 2009-ish iirc, skulked away, and came back in 2010 to participate in Dj Mokram's Secret Bonus Point project, which would end up being my first debut onto the VGM arrange scene. A year later, I got posted to the site. Just over a year after that, Be Aggressive! happened.

I found OCR back in 2001 through AudioGalaxy - I found a bunch of tracks from OCR and thought they were ok, but I was crazied about VGM, and I kept seeing this magical source of music with the URL in the ID3v2 tags, so I eventually took the plunge and haven't looked back.

Amusing bit of trivia: I wasn't really super impressed by Terra in Black, and I still kinda stand by that. It's not bad, but it's actually not really anywhere how I'd imagine the definitive version of Terra would be *puts up flame shield*.

56k was still a viable option for gamers when i got involved. I had picked up some mp'3s from a now defunct AOL service that made me start hunting around for Jared Hudson. It led me here. Haven't stopped listening since =)

56k Modem with AOL services :D hell yeah. 30min per OCRemixes. those was the time.

i was looking for VGremix in midi format and one of my research landed here. i was like..omg MP3!

My first ocremix ! 27 ~30 min

My first fast connection ocremix less than 3 min.

I seem to recall that Computer Music Magazine did a little story on the ASAP/Binster collaboration that was posted waaaay back when. When I got here, the first thing I remember really hearing on the site that I liked (because I didn't really care for the aforementioned Dirty Mix) was bLiNd's White Skies. I'd also just recently started listening to the stuff some guy named zircon was posting over in the KVR forums.

Started from a few different places, but they all eventually ended up over here!

Back in 2001-2002 (not sure exactly, but it's somewhere in there), I heard about the site from someone linking Jivemaster remixes on the old Sonic the Hedgehog Area 51 message board. I got involved with the forums after Timberwolf started his old IronMix Challenge compo (ironically enough, I was the one who told him about the sites' existence, but he got into the community a bit before I did), and I've been here ever since.

My research into Sonic Crackers brought me here. Forum dwelling was a different matter though - when I joined here initially, it was much more hostile than it is now.

Thankfully I've learnt a lot of skills both practically and socially around here. True, I'm still no perfect person; and there's still a bunch of people that hate on my own work / personality for no reason (I'm looking at you Dwelling of Duels :(); but I feel I can strongly back up what I am capable of regardless of whoever sees it or not. Just making a track and matching the vision, then stepping back and wondering what can be improved and reacting on that instinct, is gift enough.

My research into Sonic Crackers brought me here. Forum dwelling was a different matter though - when I joined here initially, it was much more hostile than it is now.

Thankfully I've learnt a lot of skills both practically and socially around here. True, I'm still no perfect person; and there's still a bunch of people that hate on my own work / personality for no reason (I'm looking at you Dwelling of Duels :(); but I feel I can strongly back up what I am capable of regardless of whoever sees it or not. Just making a track and matching the vision, then stepping back and wondering what can be improved and reacting on that instinct, is gift enough.

PROTIP: constantly bringing up how people may have treated you poorly in the past is a great way to perpetuate people treating you poorly.

Oh god...back when downloading music was such a commitment. And then someone would try to call and I'd have to disconnect...

I don't even remember how I came to OCR. I was 12. I remember finding a few Dr. Fruitcake Zelda remixes on a small blog entry or personal site, and that might have sparked my interest in looking for more.

I think I accidentally stumbled upon some remixes back when the first Donkey Kong Country album (or the DKC2 one, not sure) came out, I believe I was looking for DKC2's music after replaying the game. I thought "wow this is cool", but that was it!

Several years later I remembered OCRemix again (probably searching for random VGM on YouTube) and decided to make an account :razz: To think I could've joined this community like 5 years earlier... Oh well.

For me I can't even remember. I was burning ocremixes on CDs before most of you even knew what a computer was. :lol:

I remember I had an awesome burnt remix CD that ended with Spekkosaurous's The Trial in Concert, and it had Sgt. Rama's Green Greens mix.. and a bunch of others.. That was probably at least 10 years ago. But by that time I had a whole CD's worth of favorites (I remember the CD was so full the last track glitched out a bit near the end)

I had an account that predates this one, which was a combination of 3 other accounts that Liontamer combined when I returned in 2009. My account from before this one had multiple names because there was a version of the forum that let you change it. I don't remember what the final name was, but one of the names I used a lot was "bo0ey" or some form of that, like djbo0ey. It was so long ago that nobody remembers and I've never been made fun of about it like djzircon. Booey is my IRL nickname. So it even predates Oinkness.

The mix that kept me here for the most part was Jared Hudson's Metal Gear May Cry.

My memory is not nearly good enough to remember exactly when I found out about OCR, but it was probably very early if only because I had a bunch of internet-savvy friends/friends of friends who were all into games and music and shared all the good stuff all the time.

Relating to what Brandon was saying about burnt CDs, I recently stumbled across one of mine from 2002 (Grosse Lederhosen, baby) at least. By that time even my family had an "unlimited" 0.5 Mbit connection for over two years though.

No idea why I apparently didn't sign up until 2006 but I remember being surprised about not having an account already when I did. Either I just never got around to it or it was deleted for inactivity or something.

Project Chaos is how I figured out about ocremix.

Ha project chaos was how I first learned of OCR too. My sister had a couple remixes from it on our computer and I thought they were awesome. a year or 3 after that, I decided to search up the album, and discovered OCR.

I dont think it was until some years after that when I finally decided to check ocr out again on a whim, and I downloaded a bunch of albums and remixes. I'd periodically come back to search for different remixes and see if there was anything new.

I don't really remember why i made an account earlier this year, or maybe late last year, I guess because i figured if I ever did anything music related I could get feedback for it.

All I do though is chill around the community boards, and i'm essentially nobody haha.

But seriously, Project Chaos was amazing, I never would have dreamed something like it could have existed.

I learned about OCRemix in 2009, but after searching through songs on the site, I came across a lot of them that I'd been hearing for years over different media sharing programs. Most notably this one, which I downloaded believing it was by System of a Down, gave no credit to the remixer, his original post on his site, and no ocremix link. Then I joined the forums in 2012.