How did you first hear of/get involved with OCR?

Diodes

Thank you ^_^ And thanks everybody for the shout outs. <3 you, OCR friends! Cash, if you do ever see me at a con, please say hi. ^_^

I was actually at PaxEast 2013, and I saw the OCR panel and OCU. The people I was with really wanted to look for more retro games, so I didn't have time to say hi. I'm going again next year, so this time I'll make sure to say hi, if you're there. And also say hi to the other OCR peeps!

By the way, yes, great idea for a thread!

Another oldbie here. While I didn't find OCR through it, the comic was still in full swing during the time. Like many of the stories before me, I had been checking out midis on VGmusic for a while before I realized people were making music in MP3 format (which was pretty new to me at the time too). I think the first thing I found was a non-OCR Super Mario techno or dance mix. I loved it and immediately started searching for more. Luckily I stumbled upon OCR and I've been lurking around ever since.

Huh. You'd think I would remember this. Sounds like it was mistagged (or retagged to get more downloads...)

I actually wish I could find that track, it was a track with some music from FFX, there was a heavy didgerydoo (spelling?) like sound through out it, a touch of the crystal theme, and a female voice saying something like Ai wa i ka desu or something like that. It was definitely credited to Ailsean at the time, or a name super similar. But the one I listened to immediately after was Terra in Black, which had the same author credit.

I actually wish I could find that track, it was a track with some music from FFX, there was a heavy didgerydoo (spelling?) like sound through out it, a touch of the crystal theme, and a female voice saying something like Ai wa i ka desu or something like that. It was definitely credited to Ailsean at the time, or a name super similar. But the one I listened to immediately after was Terra in Black, which had the same author credit.

All of Ailsean's arrangements are at http://ailsean.net/category/music/game-covers/ - You can verify if what you're thinking of is his or not.

Someone told me that these two guys Dave Lloyd and Larry Oji get a lot of tail, so I followed them here in an effort to learn their secrets. True story.

If you don't like that one, try this: about 13 years ago I searched for vgm mp3s, caught the link to OCR, and have been hanging out here ever since. I even pretend to remix sometimes, too.

-DCT

Someone told me that these two guys Dave Lloyd and Larry Oji get a lot of tail, so I followed them here in an effort to learn their secrets. True story.

If you don't like that one, try this: about 13 years ago I searched for vgm mp3s, caught the link to OCR, and have been hanging out here ever since. I even pretend to remix sometimes, too.

-DCT

Pretend? As far as I'm concerned, you still have one of the best remixes on the site!

In my case, I was going through a period of severe depression/loneliness my first year away at college, had just gotten out of a bad quasi-relationship, and had been looking for things to fill up my time with to help avoid dealing with those issues. I was tooling around on Youtube late one night, looking for something or other to do with Final Fantasy 7, when I came across one of the music videos for the FF7 album competition (

) and fell instantly in love with the music to it. Plus, I thought the video was pretty cool. (I hadn't seen Advent Children yet.)

From there, about a week later I found my way to the VotL website and loved the music, once I screwed up the courage to download it; about two weeks later, I went looking for the main OCR site and found it. Took another week for me to start perusing the mixes on the site, and another three months before I was brave enough to start reading the forums as a guest. (I think I was afraid it was a scam or I'd somehow end up owing the site money if I registered... I was really paranoid and uber shy back then, in addition to the loneliness and depression.)

In my case, I was going through a period of severe depression/loneliness my first year away at college, had just gotten out of a bad quasi-relationship, and had been looking for things to fill up my time with to help avoid dealing with those issues. I was tooling around on Youtube late one night, looking for something or other to do with Final Fantasy 7, when I came across one of the music videos for the FF7 album competition (
) and fell instantly in love with the music to it. Plus, I thought the video was pretty cool. (I hadn't seen Advent Children yet.)

From there, about a week later I found my way to the VotL website and loved the music, once I screwed up the courage to download it; about two weeks later, I went looking for the main OCR site and found it. Took another week for me to start perusing the mixes on the site, and another three months before I was brave enough to start reading the forums as a guest. (I think I was afraid it was a scam or I'd somehow end up owing the site money if I registered... I was really paranoid and uber shy back then, in addition to the loneliness and depression.)

Would you go as far as to say the music helped you through your depression?

Most of the OCRemixes I listen to are pretty serene or mellow. They help me relax if I'm feeling tense or stressed.

Would you go as far as to say the music helped you through your depression?

Most of the OCRemixes I listen to are pretty serene or mellow. They help me relax if I'm feeling tense or stressed.

Oh, definitely. And with the shyness - realizing that there really were people out there who shared my weird and unusual passions helped a lot and allowed me to feel more comfortable around the average person I met, and the music was just so damn good that I just couldn't stay sad. The arrangements by VHD, Reuben Kee and zircon were particularly strong in influencing my mood at the time. I'll always be grateful to OCR and its artists for that.

It's great to know that the music here at OCR helped you through tough times! Reuben Kee's stuff is really great. One of his original compositions and a few others songs here brought me to tears a few times, so I can relate to how the music here can be powerful in influencing mood.

Knowing I was into Nintendo, my older cousin suggested I listen to some of the game remixes over at "remix.overclocked.org". This happened in the summer of 2003. I was given a burnt CD mostly consisting of Mario, DK, F-Zero and Tetris remixes with a few one-hit wonders, such as a remix that I couldn't identify until I actively went searching for it a few years back (turned out it was from a game called Viewtiful Joe). I loved this CD; I listened to it constantly and I could even tell you the order of every track even though it's been a decade.

It wasn't until 2005/2006 that I began branching onto internet forums, one of which included OC ReMix just because. I never really kept up with anything that wasn't Mario/Donkey Kong for whatever reason until maybe 2010; during that time, Emunator kind of convinced me to open my ears and listen to things from games I normally wouldn't care for.

Now I'm strongly familiar with most of the musicians here, including ones that may have only one posted remix, and it's actually really refreshing. Now I pay more attention to newer remixers and their journey through OCR. I don't tend to get as excited as much when there's a new remix from a game I like; instead, I get excited when I see the remixers. It's really an odd feeling.

As for my involvement with the DKC3 project, it basically involved me messaging Emunator on a whim early on in the project and getting really lucky, even if he says I was the best candidate for the job of co-director. 3 1/2 years later I still can't even believe things came together the way they did.

It's great to know that the music here at OCR helped you through tough times! Reuben Kee's stuff is really great. One of his original compositions and a few others songs here brought me to tears a few times, so I can relate to how the music here can be powerful in influencing mood.

Legend of the Snake was one of the first OC ReMixes from a game I've never played that I loved to pieces. It's really powerful and it's truly wonderful how Reuben Kee continues to make a difference in the lives of countless individuals.

Fun fact: I actually lost touch with OCR for a short while shortly after I found it when my laptop melted down and died, and totally forgot the name of the website and couldn't find it. But after eight or nine months, I was tooling around on Last.fm, and saw a suggestion for Reuben Kee - Ascension to Cosmo Canyon, and wouldn't you know it, I had found my way back to OCR just like that.

I finally registered a few months later. Haven't left since.

Now I'm strongly familiar with most of the musicians here, including ones that may have only one posted remix, and it's actually really refreshing. Now I pay more attention to newer remixers and their journey through OCR. I don't tend to get as excited as much when there's a new remix from a game I like; instead, I get excited when I see the remixers. It's really an odd feeling.

^This^ is so amazingly awesome. :)

It wasn't until 2005/2006 that I began branching onto internet forums, one of which included OC ReMix just because. I never really kept up with anything that wasn't Mario/Donkey Kong for whatever reason until maybe 2010; during that time, Emunator kind of convinced me to open my ears and listen to things from games I normally wouldn't care for.

I used to be the same way, only listening to remixes from my favorite games. Now I listen to every remix posted on the site, even if I have no attachment to the game. I'm glad I started branching out, it's been rewarding. :)

On a related note, OCR has also exposed me to genres that I wouldn't have listened to otherwise. I gained my appreciation for metal from OCR, which is funny considering OCR gets accused of having all techno. Another example is hip-hop and rap. Before OCR, I didn't at all care for those genres. Nothing like great remixes of VGM to change your thoughts about music!

To sum up, OCR has given me a greater appreciation for unfamiliar sources, and a wider variety of genres.

Edited by Cash

Legend of the Snake was one of the first OC ReMixes from a game I've never played that I loved to pieces. It's really powerful and it's truly wonderful how Reuben Kee continues to make a difference in the lives of countless individuals.

I loved Legend of the Snake and just played it on repeat. The other (non-Reuben Kee) songs off the top of my head that are really powerful for me are the aforementioned djp's Pachelbel's Ganon, klutz's A World of Piano, and Nicole Adam's A New Place.

Fun fact: I actually lost touch with OCR for a short while shortly after I found it when my laptop melted down and died, and totally forgot the name of the website and couldn't find it. But after eight or nine months, I was tooling around on Last.fm, and saw a suggestion for Reuben Kee - Ascension to Cosmo Canyon, and wouldn't you know it, I had found my way back to OCR just like that.

I finally registered a few months later. Haven't left since.

It's like you were meant to be here!

I don't remember the context of hearing about Voices of the Lifestream, but that was the first time I heard about the site. I remember feeling incredibly jealous, and thinking "man, what an awesome way for all those people to pay tribute to my favorite game, meanwhile I do nothing" (even though I had no composing nor remixing experience whatsoever in 2007). But I didn't even think about joining until 2012, to participate in the FF6 remix contest.