Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

I edited my post to add my 4th and 5th picks. :)

EDIT: Stupid question time, but:

- can we ask for collab with people from the compo? from outside the compo?

- if the character has 2 themes, can we use both? or one per round? (ex: Sephiroth has "One-Winged Angel" and "Those Chosen by the Planet")

Edited by Chernabogue

I edited my post to add my 4th and 5th picks. :)

EDIT: Stupid question time, but:

- can we ask for collab with people from the compo? from outside the compo?

This is answered in the first post! "Collaborations with and contributions from outside artists are allowed, but the primary artist must be the actual competitor."

Don't worry, there are no stupid questions :-)

- if the character has 2 themes, can we use both? or one per round? (ex: Sephiroth has "One-Winged Angel" and "Those Chosen by the Planet")

Nope. That's really not fair to the characters who only have 1 theme. So if you consult the character list I posted, and see someone who has multiple themes, the one that I have linked there is probably the approved theme. In the case of Sephiroth it's just One Winged Angel. Technically it's a boss theme, if anyone feels that is wrong, we can switch it over to something that isn't a boss theme which also represents Sephiroth.

Nope. That's really not fair to the characters who only have 1 theme. So if you consult the character list I posted, and see someone who has multiple themes, the one that I have linked there is probably the approved theme. In the case of Sephiroth it's just One Winged Angel. Technically it's a boss theme, if anyone feels that is wrong, we can switch it over to something that isn't a boss theme which also represents Sephiroth.
I personally always thought of "Those Chosen by the Planet" as Sephiroth's "character" theme, while "One-Winged Angel" (and for that matter "Birth of a God") was his "boss theme," the same way that "Dancing Mad" was Kefka's "boss theme."

This is answered in the first post! "Collaborations with and contributions from outside artists are allowed, but the primary artist must be the actual competitor."

Don't worry, there are no stupid questions :-)

Oh God, I need to learn how to read, I couldn't find the answer. Well, that's cool then.

Alright. Sephiroth was just the best example in my head, so I get it. I'll stick to your list. :)

I'm SERIOUSLY considering switching Sephiroth to "Those Chosen by the Planet", but will need to consult with anyone who chose that as an alternate. I don't believe anyone chose it as a main choice yet.

I made the spreadsheet for choices, you can find it inside of the other spreadsheet link. There's now a button for "Sources" and "Roster". I didn't realize it would work that way, but there it is. :-)

IMPORTANT -- We have 18 people. We need 32 now. So as soon as we hit that, we're good to go, and may start as soon as Sunday night, the 10th, at midnight (technically Monday). We will be using EDT.

Edited by Brandon Strader

Almost missed sign up for this. :(

1. FFIX Amarant

2. FFIX Freya

3. FFVII Red XIII

*Sorry if this was answered already somewhere in the thread but since Zack didn't have a character theme in FFVII but was in the game is it ok if we use the theme written for him by Takeharu Ishimoto?

Edited by Garpocalypse

*Sorry if this was answered already somewhere in the thread but since Zack didn't have a character theme in FFVII but was in the game is it ok if we use the theme written for him by Takeharu Ishimoto?

Huh, no. :cry: That's probably a theme from a sequel or spinoff (or prequel!) We are focusing on character themes from the main numbered FF titles.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering switching Sephiroth to "Those Chosen by the Planet", but will need to consult with anyone who chose that as an alternate. I don't believe anyone chose it as a main choice yet.

I made the spreadsheet for choices, you can find it inside of the other spreadsheet link. There's now a button for "Sources" and "Roster". I didn't realize it would work that way, but there it is. :-)

IMPORTANT -- We have 17 people. To keep this manageable, I'd like to stop it at 24 entrants. So as soon as we hit that, we're good to go, and may start as soon as Sunday night, the 10th, at midnight (technically Monday). We will be using EDT.

Why 24? You need a number that never becomes odd after dividing by two so many times, in which case we need 32. (12/2 = 6, 6/2 = 3, I don't know how you deal with three)

Why 24? You need a number that never becomes odd after dividing by two so many times, in which case we need 32. (12/2 = 6, 6/2 = 3, I don't know how you deal with three)
I thought we only pick three, the instructions say to list top 3.

Also, as NovaReaper pointed out, 24 will end up with an odd number.

I'm bad at math tho. :cry:

Top 3 is fine. Or top 5, whichever you want to do.

Hmm might be tough to wrangle 32 people together but I hope we can do it. Get the word out! :-)

I'm bad at math tho. :cry:

Top 3 is fine. Or top 5, whichever you want to do.

Hmm might be tough to wrangle 32 people together but I hope we can do it. Get the word out! :-)

24 would be tough to get to work, unless you had seeded brackets, but then how do you assign seeding fairly? That could get dicey. You can also use this list randomizer to figure out brackets and matchups, too. That's what I used for SZRC, per Darke's suggestion (I think that's what he uses for all his compos). Just put everyone in the list, cut the list in half (those are your two brackets), and then just go down the list and pair them up how they were randomized.

Glad to see this being started up. I will definitely make an effort in participating in the voting process. (I'm usually just poking around in the Mega compos and gauging other reviews than making my own opinions.)

Also glad seeing picks from the later games on some peoples list. This is definitely going to be an interesting compo.

24 would be tough to get to work, unless you had seeded brackets, but then how do you assign seeding fairly? That could get dicey. You can also use this list randomizer to figure out brackets and matchups, too. That's what I used for SZRC, per Darke's suggestion (I think that's what he uses for all his compos). Just put everyone in the list, cut the list in half (those are your two brackets), and then just go down the list and pair them up how they were randomized.

I actually drew a poor man's bracket in MS Paint after those nice fellers pointed out that 24 wouldn't work, and they were right. I apologize for the confusion, it's purely based on lack of sleep and not being good at math.DarkeSword also sent me that random link, I'm not worried about the randomization at all... just needs to make sure the maths checks out. :cry:

The seeded bracket thing looks sweet, depends on how many more people step forward. :-D BUT I really have no idea how that would work.

The seeded bracket thing looks sweet, depends on how many more people step forward. :-D BUT I really have no idea how that would work.

Yeah if worst comes to worst and you only get 24, you could use the list randomizer to randomly assign seeding, so it's fair. In that scenario, the 'top' seeds would get the first week off. Not ideal, but it would work and be fair. You've only had the thread open a few days tho, so if you keep it open two weeks you should be able to get 32! Good luck! :)

There have been enough tournament-style compos over the last few years, and enough repeat participants, that doing a formal seeding process would be fairly feasible. This would also mean that the best remixers would last longer in the tournament (not going up against each other and being eliminated early on), so overall music quality would probably improve. On the other hand, that would automatically place me against someone much better than me, so go go random!

I would do a round robin of 24, everyone covers only their char. Then the voters pick three or five (whatever you want) in order of preference, so you can list from the song that gathered most votes until the song with less. The first 16 qualifies to the playoff. 1 against 16, 2 vs 15, and so on.

Just an idea.