Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

As of posting now, there is 1 day and a little under 15 hours left until the Light Bracket begins remixing. I wanted to share some advice for everyone participating in the compo.

- Don't get caught up on competing. It's not about winning, it's about fun, learning, and good sportsmanship. Trash talk is good in jest, and encouraged as long as it doesn't escalate into seriousness.

- Be prepared. Listen to your OWN source, and be familiar with it. Having a memory of the melody or any parts that stick out should help you arrange your theme.

- If you know you're going to be busy, use a template. Templates are loadouts for different styles, or even a session you've completed that you wipe all the notes out of and save so you can begin writing in it again. (example, orchestral template, acoustic band template, symphonic metal template, dubstep template, etc..)

I have some basic templates that are just a drum kit, and effect buses (reverb, compression, predelay)

Just to add, you could also be saving mastering presets if you aren't already. I always update my mastering chain, and tweak it with each new mix, making it better and better. You can't use the same settings for every mix (obviously) but having a solid starting point is always good.

- Relax.

- Yes

- Maybe

- Yes, but I personally just use the basic template to the extent of your drum kit example.

- If you mix well enough, barely any mastering is necessary. :P

I use a template in FL Studio that Neblix made a while ago. It sets up channels for instruments and drum samples, and routes them to a seperate track on the mixer. The EQ plugin is ready to go on each track, and the template sets up a drum bus. The other thing I like about Neblix's template is that it sets up MIDI Out channels for Kontakt, really useful.

Having a template speeds up my workflow, wasting less time on setup. I'm sure other DAW's have the ability to save templates as well.

Looking forward to this compo guiz.

I'm gonna channel my inner cute-ness and sorta gave myself a way to determine my genre/style of each track.

Since Lenna follows FFV's job system, I'm gonna base the style on whatever 'job class' I come up against.

It'll save me from ever having to be creative in the history of ever lol. <3

Looking forward to this compo guiz.

I'm gonna channel my inner cute-ness and sorta gave myself a way to determine my genre/style of each track.

Since Lenna follows FFV's job system, I'm gonna base the style on whatever 'job class' I come up against.

It'll save me from ever having to be creative in the history of ever lol. <3

Not sure how that even helps you. Aside from the challenge of figuring out what one "job class" Sazh, Basch, or Hiryuu have, you'll have to be plenty creative to decide what, for instance, "blue mage music" even is without it just being Strago's theme.

Also I will laugh very hard if you end up facing both Kain and Freya.

Not sure how that even helps you. Aside from the challenge of figuring out what one "job class" Sazh, Basch, or Hiryuu have, you'll have to be plenty creative to decide what, for instance, "blue mage music" even is without it just being Strago's theme.

Also I will laugh very hard if you end up facing both Kain and Freya.

I really think it helps because it can give me direction when I have no inspiration from the melodic material.

Y'know?

Also, Sazh would be a Synergist. ;) (can't say I'm wrong <3)

And I'd probably laugh too if I came up against both of them.

CAUSE IT WOULD MEAN I'D NEED TO WRITE TWOOOOOO BITCHIN' METAL TRACKS.

And I definitely have a sound tied to Blue Magic.

I don't mean to sound rude... but it's not like I devised my method to help anyone else.

Just sharing with the masses since that's sorta what we were doing presently.

I mean, you don't have to use it mang.

Ladies and gentlemen, your matchups for the coming week. I swear on this gourd you better not start mixing until midnight....

Hollow

Garpocalypse

MindWanderer

Sixto Sounds

Avaris

Cash

theshaggyfreak

Arrow

Trism

Hakstock

GrapplingHook

Tuberz McGee

Check first post for bracket image. I'll probably clean it up soon, it's hard to read.

Ladies and gentlemen, your matchups for the coming week. I swear on this gourd you better not start mixing until midnight....

Hollow

Garpocalypse

MindWanderer

Sixto Sounds

Avaris

Cash

theshaggyfreak

Arrow

Trism

Hakstock

GrapplingHook

Tuberz McGee

Check first post for bracket image. I'll probably clean it up soon, it's hard to read.

Well, it's 11pm here in the UK. Does that mean I can start in an hour? :nicework:

*EDIT* Bloody hell dude the font on the brackets is bloody awful. Not so much hard to read as painful to look at!

Edited by Trism

Still. Names would help. :)

Yes, Hollow is Barret. I guess the idea of everyone wearing their sigs and being active isn't too good, but there's still the spreadsheet that lists all of the participants and their first choices. :-)

As for adding the character names to the image..... YES, I can do that, but might not do it right away. :-(

Welp, round 1 is sure gonna be my last one. I mean to go out with a bang, though, and I'm getting better all the time, so Sixto, please be sure to kick my ass well and thoroughly.

I'm in the same boat, I face an uphill battle. Going out with a bang is also my plan.

@Avaris, are you still using

as your source? Edited by Cash

I'm in the same boat, I face an uphill battle. Going out with a bang is also my plan.

@Avaris, are you still using

as your source?

Yup source is Cry in Sorrow. BTW I've never done this compo before so don't fret. Also I just had a wisdom tooth pulled and I am leaving on a flight for Sunday. So I gotta finish my track by Saturday.

Best of Luck!

BTW I've never done this compo before so don't fret.

Technically nobody's done this compo before :tomatoface:

And no hate to Mega Man music, but... it's a lot easier to combine. You could literally combine almost any Mega Man themes together without trouble.

The FF themes on the other hand, are a lot more unique, have a lot more time signatures, and other kinds of stuff. This could be a real challenge, and I'm actually excited for the round 1 entries just to see if it even works. :lol:

Yup source is Cry in Sorrow. BTW I've never done this compo before so don't fret. Also I just had a wisdom tooth pulled and I am leaving on a flight for Sunday. So I gotta finish my track by Saturday.

Best of Luck!

Yeah, good luck to you as well. I'm looking forward to all the music that'll come out of this compo.

The FF themes on the other hand, are a lot more unique, have a lot more time signatures, and other kinds of stuff. This could be a real challenge, and I'm actually excited for the round 1 entries just to see if it even works. :lol:
I'm anticipating a wide range in this regard. Amarant and Barrett; Beatrix and Kain; Lenna and Locke totally work. The others could be really tricky. I think Strago is going to come out pretty deformed in mine.

I'm really glad this is a symmetrical compo, unlike the WCRG's. Both opponents will be in the same boat as far as source mismatch goes.