Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

At first I was a little flustered as to how I lost to Esperado, due to a smaller track length and less source usage of laguna's theme. Then I realized that I failed at the integration of both tracks and maybe some of the sound choices weren't as good as I initially thought. I guess I got lazy there >_>

Esperado's take was very creative and surprisingly cohesive, despite the 2 sources being completely dissimilar, so yea, I got beat good. Oh welll, I'd prob lose next bracket anyhooo :tomatoface:

Dat mah production suckzzz. :-P

FL doesn't handle memory as well as needed for that.

That said, Timaeus's production on his track is stellar, as always. :)

orly? But I used close to 3.6GB of RAM for my entry. I didn't even bother to bridge anything. Silly me. xD

That said, yeah, Kristina did full Orchestral while I did Jazz/Ambient/Cinematic/Orchestral-esque. Quite different thar. Now which is harder or more impressive? YOU DECIDE! :<

Edited by timaeus222

At first I was a little flustered as to how I lost to Esperado, due to a smaller track length and less source usage of laguna's theme. Then I realized that I failed at the integration of both tracks and maybe some of the sound choices weren't as good as I initially thought. I guess I got lazy there >_>

Esperado's take was very creative and surprisingly cohesive, despite the 2 sources being completely dissimilar, so yea, I got beat good. Oh welll, I'd prob lose next bracket anyhooo :tomatoface:

I actually really liked so much about your song. The problem was it felt like 3-4 tracks just playing one after another. Which kinda goes against the idea of the compo. I'd say take your best section from that and make a full song out of it.

Only a day after the songs are posted and already this many votes? I need at least two listens to the tracks with time in between to decide, I can't adequately compare source usage after one listen. I like to sleep on it. Maybe it's just me and my slow voting.

At first I was a little flustered as to how I lost to Esperado, due to a smaller track length and less source usage of laguna's theme.

You didn't lose yet.

Mwahaha, my plot, using a mysterious strange language is obviously working! Sure, I can put the lyrics and a literal translation together if I get a moment for it. Thanks for all the comments & interest folks!

--Eino

Mysterious Language=Extremely Gaijin Japanese. :-P

Massive Props for the effort tho! That's alot of extra work to do in a week.

Edited by Garpocalypse

Alrighty, then! :)

In my track, I'm using several instances of bridged 64 bit PLAY with multiple midi-outs used in each instance, and FL gets testy when you add too many of those. It is working in this track, but only if I don't add too much more. To do orchestral right, you need to layer like 5 (minimum, probably more like 8-10) articulations like an artist to make the lines flow naturally for each instrument used. I'm using 2-3 here for each thing.

Also, in FL, you write in little patterns. To do orchestral right and make it flow, it is better to write in long patterns containing all the instruments (so you can see all the ghost notes from the other instrument writing). I've kinda done that here, but it is VERY unwieldy in FL. Cubase is made for this, hence my wanting to try it out.

tl;dr: doing orchestral the *right* way in FL is a bit tricky.

When you guys make decisions between Kristina's and my tracks, please consider both arrangement and production carefully.

Well ok, sure, but arrangement should take precedence. Quote from the OP:

"The most important thing to consider when voting is how well the remix incorporates and arranges both themes. Production and enjoyability should also be considered."

*edited stuff here* Both our tracks are pretty good. :)

I consider our production values to be rather close (from the general perspective), while arrangement is closer (from the general perspective), hence why the decision turns out to be rather tough. Those criteria are both in the OP too. :)

T is generally a little better at production than I am, at least this is true in the electronic genres. But these are really two different types of production, here in this compo. Also, "from the general perspective?" So, he's saying you guys have average "general" listening skills.

Personally, I would choose based more on production,

...but....but..."The most important thing to consider when voting is how well the remix incorporates and arranges both themes. Production and enjoyability should also be considered."

as I think the gap there is slightly larger than in arrangement,

Passive aggressive much? *pokes T in the ribs*

but I suppose it appears subjective to many people, so I'll just let whatever happens to occur. Honestly, the first thing I learned from these compos is that the general listener's votes are completely unpredictable. :tomatoface:

Because the people voting on this are totally subjective and have "unpredictable, general listener" type skillzzz.

dat our skillz are so close from the average listener's perspective. :puppyeyes:

Did you guys realize how average your listening skills were? :-P

But wait, I forgot, T is an expert in orchestral production.

So tell me T, how do YOU like the view from underneath the bus??? :tomatoface:

(oh, and T and I continue to remain GREAT friends even with some lighthearted mudslinging presented for your entertainment!) :)

*edited to remove any swaying type comments, as that was really not intended!*

Edited by Chimpazilla

I realize that Tim and Kristina are friends and they're just engaging in some ribbing, but it's important to note that competitors shouldn't really be saying what boils down to "vote for me, here's why."

I don't want to step on any toes here (Brandon, let me know if I'm out of line), but I want to point out that the Competitions Code of Conduct clearly states that "Your entry to a competition should be all you need to garner votes." It's not the job of any competitor to make sure people are voting what they feel to be the correct way. It's up to Brandon, as the competition runner, to stress what he feels are the most important criteria, which he has done in the first post.

My 2c.

Also, "from the general perspective?" So, he's saying you guys have average "general" listening skills.

Nah, average as in common. The average listener = the common listener = the general audience. i.e. Casual listeners---for enjoyment, for fun, etc.

Passive aggressive much? *pokes T in the ribs*
It's just an estimation/guess (mostly a guess) at how people *may* be perceiving music these days---arrangement first then production second or so. Arrangement is the easier aspect to connect with for more people, IMO, as it's more accessible to the casual listener ("does it work?", "does it sound weird?", etc.). Production is more of... an acquired taste. If you try listening to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", it's a given that it's really strange in structure and melodic content, but the production could be liked by some and not liked by others.

Also, Darke, we're just playing around as you know, and I personally am not trying to sway the votes either way actually. Just... adding info to try to make it easier to decide, especially because apparently Kristina's and my entries are more borderline than we each originally thought, at least from what I've gathered with recent votes.

Edited by timaeus222

Also, Darke, we're just playing around as you know, and I personally am not trying to sway the votes either way actually. Just... adding info to try to make it easier to decide, especially because apparently Kristina's and my entries are more borderline than we each originally thought, at least from what I've gathered with recent votes.

^this^ totally. Sorry if it looked otherwise! I'm gonna edit some stuff out of my post now.

Please guys, ignore us and vote for the one you like! :)

It could, though if it didn't, it would be an obligatory team battle! Two other people could be drawn in to collaborate. But let's get back on topic. :D

I'd be cool with timaeus & Chimpanzilla vs. Me and Yami no matter what happens now. If Tim and Chimp won, then whoever won first goes on; if me and Yami win, then I advance.

Mwahaha, my plot, using a mysterious strange language is obviously working! Sure, I can put the lyrics and a literal translation together if I get a moment for it. Thanks for all the comments & interest folks!

--Eino

I'm gonna take a wild guess. Your mysterious strange language is Finnish. (Location: Oulu, Finland) Mr. Obvious. :)