Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

Hey Light Bracket, how's the remixing coming this week? I'm looking forward to hearing your stuff!

90% chance I won't be mixing this coming week... I've sorta become a little... *ahem*... BUSY haha! Also, it's just so darned close to Christmas and that means many different types of busy. Who knows, maybe I'll pull something off at the last minute, but just a heads up, I'm wishing the best of luck to Chernabogue and evktalo on this next round. :)

90% chance I won't be mixing this coming week... I've sorta become a little... *ahem*... BUSY haha! Also, it's just so darned close to Christmas and that means many different types of busy. Who knows, maybe I'll pull something off at the last minute, but just a heads up, I'm wishing the best of luck to Chernabogue and evktalo on this next round. :)

Best of luck to you to, new Judge! :P

Next week is my "finals week" (part 1 LOL), and I'm celebrating Christmas during the weekend at my grandparents' home (yes, it's 2-3 days early early, but if you want a good part of the family, you need to, LOL). So, very busy week here too, but nothing's impossible!

I for my part should have a good part of Wednesday for arranging and good parts of Thursday and Friday recording (taking out the electric this time), and then some of the weekend for mixing and stuff. Well see how that goes! Last two rounds I couldn't have done anything without staying up a night, and I'll want to avoid doing that now.

Pretty excited to see what the boss source will be!

--Eino

I feel bad for not giving any feedback especially after getting so much useful comments myself. Just haven't had the time (and I really should be critiquing BA3 tracks when I have it) but here are some short comments for the round 4 tracks:

Ivory

The playing is really communicative and emotional, which I enjoy a lot. The transformation of Hope's theme from guitar to piano works very well. I actually had a bit of trouble recognizing Lulu's theme first, but that speaks entirely of the quality of my listening. I think the treatment of it is quite brilliant.

The arrangement is a indeed bit of a sketch. The transitions from part to another are somewhat tight turns, and could use some "glue" kind of writing, to weave the sources together a bit better too. Tight turns can be good though. Some of the sudden transitions could work great with just a small pause between them, to create anticipation and then surprise with just going directly to the next part.

I lack the theory vocabulary to explain this, but I also felt that the piece sticks too much to the "first chord" or root of the scale, which makes for a sort of one-dimensional impression, especially emotionally. Now if this sounds harsh, I only mean to say that there is a lot, lot of potential in the arrangement. The "glue" part could well be something that contrast the "first chord" feel of all the other parts. Sheesh, I hope you can make some sense out of that. The ending also leaves a feeling of not being developed nearly as far as it could be.

That all said, what is there is pretty great - especially the treatment of sources. They could be better woven together, but I already thought that the first transition from Hope to Lulu worked quite well despite being quite straightforward (just one played after another, except the latter changed to 3/4). I really, really hope to hear this developed further.

Edward Zorn Gets a Haircut

Two things I consider brilliant in this arrangement: the genre choice (both in idea & execution) and the treatment of Edwards theme. It's so different (at least to me) but completely recognizable! On the other hand, I wasn't able to hear any Zorn & Thorn apart from the intro (but maybe that's just my listening again).

The rhythm team is quite stiff & mechanical. The voices sound surprisingly good, and the trumpet also sounds good, gives it a Beatlesque vibe (at least to me). The final reprise of the, I'll call it verse, felt a bit samey to what went on from before, which might be unfair as it OTOH seems altered to give it a feeling it's leading to the end, but that sameyness was my initial impression. The overall structure felt complete. Enjoyed the piece a lot!

The Gogo Cat Experience

I was expecting boombastic orchestral pieces from Chernabogue, and this jazzy vein he's been exploring is a really pleasant surprise. There's a great feeling of a small, smoky, very very decadent club that's probably a front to some sinister organization.. but nobody cares. The very deliberate, relaxed (but still tense) tempo/ryhthmic feel does a lot to create this atmosphere. The material feels cohesively put together. The piano especially sounds good, the rest of it could be humanized better. Get XPRTNovice on the clarinet obviously. :D

Right, couldn't keep it that short after all. That's why you don't see any comments from me, always ends up taking too long.

--Eino

Submitting my track here in a sec. Just want to put a disclaimer out there, take it as you will. I used this track/tutorial as a basis for my track:

http://www.groove3.com/str/Making-Trap-with-Reason.html

I recreated everything from watching the videos. I do not have the source file. Most of the drums are verbatim and some of the dubby synths. Also the arrangement is almost the same.

Never made trap/dub before and I had tons of family staying and coming and going from my house this week. This was my way to balance this competition for this week with work and life.

looking forward to the entries for this week!

I slept for a super long time like 3am to 8pm and now I'm ready to get this thing ready because I totally intended for it to work out this way, and I didn't forget about this, at all! :-) I got 2 entries in, so we just need the one from Garpocalypse to make it a real compo.

nagunnahappenne.

...without a week extension. :)

Even then i'd doubt i'd make it as hell week starts tommarow.

nagunnahappenne.

...without a week extension. :)

Even then i'd doubt i'd make it as hell week starts tommarow.

Submit it! I don't care if it's 10 seconds of you singing "BS is lame" to the tune of Clash on the Big Bridge, we need 3 entries or you'll break the entire compo forever

EDIT: Ok, I was just going to put all the votes for the boss of the next round into the randomizer and let it be chosen randomly, but 4 people chose Dark Messenger. None of the people who chose that are participating in the round, so I see no real conflict with just going with that choice. I did hear DarkeSword's concerns when he posted them, but I was planning on simply randomizing it. I think it worked out in a positive way that I don't need to.

Edited by Brandon Strader

R.I.P. Garpocalypse, and Brandon Strader

Avaris and TuberzMcGee move on to face each other in the pre-final. You know it's happening. There will be no voting this week, as Garpocalypse didn't enter.

FOR THE SAKE OF FAIRNESS, don't start for a week. If the other match-ups gets 3 entries, then voting will take place, during which they won't be able to start.

This week's remixing match up is:

Eino Keskitalo

Chimpazilla

Chernabogue

VS.

ALSO! (My Bad) Here's the entries! I linked them in the first post but not the thread.

ALSO! I've updated the bracket images, now that I actually know how much space we needed. I think you'll agree that they look smoove.

And I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but the reason the text was so ugly and hard to read this entire time, was because I had AA (antialiasing) switched to "None" instead of "Smooth"

Edited by Brandon Strader

Bracket images are looking really good now (poor Garpo). Hunf, Kuja. Somehow, I feel stumped right now. I admit it's good, but somehow.. Well, I guess I was already heariing a style/arrangement in my head and Kuja's theme doesn't quite fit! But that's just what makes this fun. It's similar to Tyranno Castle music in CT which is a source I've wanted to tackle for some time.

Also.. That "pre-final match-up", reading it actually made my heart rate go up. :razz: I hope we get good competition in this Darkness round!

--Eino

Waaaaaaait a minute I thought there was only going to be 1 winner in the matchup of three people? :(

I was so amped up this week bc the competition was heightened.

Brandon, I thought Chimpazilla said she was already out of this next round. So why don't Tuberz and I compete in the pre-final with these songs already submitted. And then have Evktalo and Chernabogue compete this week? Otherwise we all literally remixed songs for this round for nothing. Trust me I wish everyone could submit. :)

Waaaaaaait a minute I thought there was only going to be 1 winner in the matchup of three people? :(

I was so amped up this week bc the competition was heightened.

Brandon, I thought Chimpazilla said she was already out of this next round. So why don't Tuberz and I compete in the pre-final with these songs already submitted. And then have Evktalo and Chernabogue compete this week? Otherwise we all literally remixed songs for this round for nothing. Trust me I wish everyone could submit. :)

Not a terrible idea here... lemme listen to that boss source here shortly, and I'll pop in with my final yay or nay as to what I'm doing this week. (spoiler: I'm super busy, haha!) :-P

Not a terrible idea here... lemme listen to that boss source here shortly, and I'll pop in with my final yay or nay as to what I'm doing this week. (spoiler: I'm super busy, haha!) :-P

I missed where you said you might not enter. Well I'll let you decide I guess. That'd cut a couple rounds off the compo and make it end sooner. :-o

It's up to YOU GUYS... taking over the compo.... :cry: