Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

In electronic music you have to constantly design and re-design sounds that not only sound good but sound good together. in recording it can a huge PITA to get a good recording. If either of those areas are messed up you are in for a helluva time mixing. Crap in crap out.

Agreed. I'm usually on the side of messing up the sounds, and not being happy with the results. Not that my arrangement skills are any better.

However in alot of electronic songs you are dealing with 40-120 tracks.

Maybe a newb question, but what does 40-120 refer to?

The number of tracks in a song.

You could have 20 audio tracks. 20 Instrument tracks. 40 Total tracks. What DAW do you use? Will be easier to create an accurate description.

This song has a shit ton of tracks: (95 to be exact)

Oh, I see, that makes sense. I use FL Studio, I've never actually counted how many I use for a particular project.

It's more important how you use sound than how many sounds you are using... that's something I hoped people would begin to pick up with this compo. You can make something really great with a minimal amount of sounds. Sometimes less is more.

Solo piano mixes are a perfect example of this.

God I love solo piano mixes.

It's more important how you use sound than how many sounds you are using... that's something I hoped people would begin to pick up with this compo. You can make something really great with a minimal amount of sounds. Sometimes less is more.

Ding ding ding. Totally agree. Layering sounds is very complex and can screw you over. Hence a big a problem I have.

True; I do keep that in mind, but even then, that's how many I've gotten up to, which details the complexity that happens sometimes. Generally I get around 10~20 layers of pattern rows for just instruments, but 20~40 pattern rows of automations to accommodate for the instrument choices at certain sections (humanization, dynamics, compensation EQ, etc.). The automations are what really take up most of my project file space, so it's not like I'm giving examples where people are doing things inefficiently. :P

Getting a chance to mix those My Choice stems was a revelation as to how badly I was using my DAW all this time. Especially the drums. If something wasn't sounding right my first thought was to add more sound.

Speaking of that if anyone wants to post their stems from one of their entries i'd love a shot a mixing them. Chimpazilla. ..and Tim. ...annnnnnnndddd Avaris. :)

I could put the stems up, even though I don't think I mix particularly well. :) The easiest for me would be to just share the Renoise project file, if anyone's interested. You can use the demo version to look at the file, and I don't use any external plugins either. Buuut I dunno if anyone's that curious to install new software etc.. Anyway, stems, yeah, when I find the time.

--Eino

I could put the stems up, even though I don't think I mix particularly well. :) The easiest for me would be to just share the Renoise project file, if anyone's interested. You can use the demo version to look at the file, and I don't use any external plugins either. Buuut I dunno if anyone's that curious to install new software etc.. Anyway, stems, yeah, when I find the time.

--Eino

Good sounce choices, panning, and volume are the most important elements IMO. Which can all be done easily in any DAW.

When I render one of the tracks out, I am going to render out all of the tracks without processing. That way it'll be fun to compare mixes if anyone is interested.

Getting a chance to mix those My Choice stems was a revelation as to how badly I was using my DAW all this time. Especially the drums. If something wasn't sounding right my first thought was to add more sound.

Speaking of that if anyone wants to post their stems from one of their entries i'd love a shot a mixing them. Chimpazilla. ..and Tim. ...annnnnnnndddd Avaris. :)

Sure, I could do that sometime tonight, I think. I just finished my last final just now. :D I'm gonna miss O-Chem. ;(

Generally I get around 10~20 layers of pattern rows for just instruments, but 20~40 pattern rows of automations to accommodate for the instrument choices at certain sections (humanization, dynamics, compensation EQ, etc.).

Oh. We're counting automation as well? Yeah. I automate a lot actually.

I wish it didn't require it, but sometimes you get a perfect guitar tone, but you get too much sound of the pick in there than you want...

Gotta automate that out with EQ. :/

And I've posted the stems now! :D

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=950337#post950337

I haven't had the time I said I'd have, of course, but I've figured out some fun stuff on the guitar. Not sure if it'll be a complete arrangement, but I'll put together what I have.

--Eino

I REALLY appreciate that. Anything is better than nothing. I know you're being modest and what you are making is probably amazing.

Also if anyone revisits their songs from previous rounds for a "final version", maybe one you intend to submit to OCR, or just finished in general, please post them here so we can check them out. You can also post them in the Workshop subforum!