Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

He he, thanks for the confidence in me, Brandon.

I just, again, stayed up the whole night and got a complete thing together, all the guitars recorded, if shabbily. Might still add a little keyboard, so I'm not sending it in just yet. I'll warn ya though, plenty of conflicting notes and stuff, since I simply didn't have the time (or the skill) to figure them out. Yech. I'll do that post-compo, now I just wanted to manage a complete-ish piece.

--Eino

He he, thanks for the confidence in me, Brandon.

I just, again, stayed up the whole night and got a complete thing together, all the guitars recorded, if shabbily. Might still add a little keyboard, so I'm not sending it in just yet. I'll warn ya though, plenty of conflicting notes and stuff, since I simply didn't have the time (or the skill) to figure them out. Yech. I'll do that post-compo, now I just wanted to manage a complete-ish piece.

--Eino

I really appreciate the effort, Eino. :) I hope you'll find the ourage to finish it.

Well, I didn't get to pad it with keyboards, the drum variations stop midway through, and there's a few sour notes on the guitar.. but I'm really happy with it considering. Midway through the night I felt desperate and in a dead end, but then I let the piece itself take charge and lead the way to unexpected places. That usually works.

Need to sleep now though so this'll have to do. Sending the WAV to Brandon in a minute.

--Eino

Voting will be 2 weeks. There's 1 more week of voting for the Light Bracket.

I'll update other stuff later!

Cool, I hadn't voted on the Light Bracket yet and I thought I missed it. So what's that mean then, since there were only two entries for each of the pre-finals, then there will be only one more round correct? And the final round mixing will start on Jan 6th?

Voting on both now! :-D

I haven't decided when the next round should pick up. The 6th definitely sounds alright, but I think we may need to go later than that. I'll have to talk to whoever ends up being in the final, first, and see if they'll be available. We can move it to a different week. It's the holidays, MAGFest, who knows what else. So if we can get a good scheduling on this we might get an amazing final round, instead of having someone with a schedule conflict. :-)

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays you guys!

I put together a source breakdown for "Luja".

The Dark Messenger is transposed up a half-step, Lulu's theme is transposed down half a step. I've basically used only the melody from the source. Bass (and therefore the whole harmony) is rewritten. At points the result is a bit awkward and needs the melody to be rewritten a bit..

0:00-0:17 Guitar and the descending bass are loosely the piano & pizzicato strings from Lulu's intro (0:00-0:14)

0:17-0:50 Guitar line in the center is the first melody from Lulu's theme (0:15-0:40)

0:50-1:06 Guitar line in the center is the second melody from Lulu's theme (1:09-1:33)

1:06-1:23 Guitar line in the center is the highest harmony of the organ intro from The Dark Messenger (rhythm is altered) (0:00-0:20). Played twice.

1:23-1:32 Guitars approximately follow 0:25-0:41 from The Dark Messenger (notably, the bass isn't followed).

1:32-1:40 Guitars approximately follow 0:55-1:02 from The Dark Messenger (again, the bass is not followed).

1:40-1:48 The guitar (on the left) supposedly follows the rhythm of the riff from TDM at 1:31-1:37

1:48-2:22 The riff on the left follows the previous rhythm and I think it's supposed to follow some chord structure from TDM, but I can't figure that out anymore. The guitar line in the center is an amalgam of the beginning of the first melody from Lulu's theme and the string motif that plays on top of the TDM riff (1:17-1:23). Too bad I didn't use the later variations of the motif anywhere..

2:22-2:38 2nd melody from Lulu's again.

2:38-2:55 The first line from TDM's intro again.

2:55-3:29 The guitar on the left is of course playing THE riff from The Dark Messenger (1:01-1:15). Guitar in the center is playing the same figure as in 1:48-2:22 except twice as fast.

3:30-3:37 The bit where the TDM riff descends (1:26-1:33) is played by the right guitar.

3:37-3:54 Theoretically, the right guitar plays the subsequent chord & rhythm from TDM. The second melody from Lulu's theme is played on top of it. Results may vary.

3:54-4:27 The second melody from Lulu's again, twice this time.

4:27-4:46 Back to the intro material, first with the descending figure on bass + the guitar on the right, & then the intro guitar in the center.

That should be it!

--Eino

EPIC MEGA BUMP of the thread TITLE with random capitalization and such.

The voting will end on the 1st when I get into my hotel room at the Gaylord. I'm expecting hotel wifi, but if not, I'll tether to my phone's 3G and get it done. No biggie.

The FINALS will be decided based on contributor's schedules. We will decide a date, and will either (1) choose a week where they can work on it, or (2) choose an end date a month later -- give them a whole month, and just let them blow the roof off with their SPECIAL FINAL MATCH entries.

As for current entries, my apologies, I'll review them ASAP. Maybe at the Gaylord, maybe not. Heck, maybe I'll do it tonight, I'd just have to download the songs off my own web server. :tomatoface:

You made it to the pre-final though

props

My apologies, I got called out to work last night, so I won't have a break until I get to mag.

I need to get back to a computer and see what the deal is with voting. I'll add my votes at the end like DS usually does.

Edited by Brandon Strader

Alright folks, Tuberz McGee will proceed to the final round for the Light Bracket. It was a tough match, very great entries from both artists throughout the entire compo.

As for the Darkness Bracket, they actually have 1 more week left for voting, to be fair. So we'll end that up on the 8th, then I'll talk to the winners and decide when and how they will do their final match. :-)

So few votes! I think the Sonic compo stole all the hype. :(

Oh no no no, I purposefully didn't start the Sonic compo until this would end cause I didn't want to steal any thunder. It's just pre-recruiting right now (which I'll admit is going slow too). It's probably just the combination of being over the holidays, magfest, and just the general voting tendencies the farther along you get in a compo (always tends to drop off a bit). With that said PEOPLE SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO THE CONCLUSION OF THE FFCC!!! :-D

I knew that track title would fit this round. :)

:-|

:cry:

You all did fantastically, and everyone who submitted an entry to FFCC is a winner. As for the final round... I will be getting in touch with Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalos to see when we should schedule for the final match. Whether it should be a one week affair, or do it for one month like DoD.

But I'll do that later. I'm supah tired. :lol: If you happen to see this before I message you guys you could feel free to share your opinion on what you think would be more fun, or when you will be abailable.

Yay! Yeah, Chernabogue did great throughout the whole compo and like I said, in a jazzy style I didn't expect! I thought the themes were really well integrated each round. I'm really surprised the voting for that round was as one-sided as it was.

..and I'm like WHAT?! made it to the FINALS!? What is this even. And up against Tuberz, that's pretty damn cool too.

I'd like the deadline to be some time after the 13th, since I am swamped with studies up to and including that day. Apart from that, whether it's a week or a month I'm cool with anything.

--Eino