ReMixing With the Stars: Season 2, Episode 3: Special "Wish on This!" Edition!

MindWanderer

Season 2, Episode 3: Special "Wish on This!" edition!

RMWtS-Disney.png

Current News

Results are in!

Results!

There were two entries and two votes, one for each entry. So Esperado, shadow24, Trism, and DusK share victory, such as it is.

Download Season 2 Now!

Pairings

Stars are for Shooting special edition

Originally this was going to be a Mega Man/Sonic crossover special edition, but Darkesword and orlouge82 beat me to that one. So here's a little bit of no-hard-feelings-really payback.

As with the last special edition, we're doing something a little different for signups.

• Stars, when signing up, should choose one source from any Disney video game. It doesn't matter what game or from what part of the game it comes with one special exception: games from the Kingdom Hearts series are allowed, but the source must come exclusively from one of the Disney worlds. If it plays at multiple points during the game, or in one of the generic areas, it's ineligible. Also, please obey the general OCR rule that the source has to have come from a video game first, not a remix or adaptation of music that originated in a movie or on TV. Sources are first-come, first served. If you change your mind, make a new post rather than editing your signup post.
  • Novices, when signing up, should choose one source from any game rated "M" by the ESRB. Games that predate the ESRB but that would be no-brainers if rated (e.g. Mortal Kombat 1, Leisure Suit Larry 1) are also acceptable.
  • Mixes will be similar to those in DarkeSword's tournaments: each mix should use a roughly equal blend of the source chosen by the Novice and the one chosen by the Star. Making them sound like one song instead of a medley is key!

About ReMixing With the Stars

ReMixing With the Stars is intended to give beginning remixers some support, encouragement, and mentoring in their quest to become great, and as a sidenote, to become posted remixers. Beginners are mentored by experienced remixers to push their abilities to new heights and submit collaborative works according to the theme of the month.

Who's a "Star" and who's a "Novice?"

Any posted or accepted-to-be-posted remixer, as the only artist or as the lead arranger on a piece, is automatically considered a "Star." This isn't meant to be a statement on who's a "good" or "expert" artist, but it's a somewhat meaningful threshold which doesn't require any subjective judgment on my part (however subjective the OCR judging process may be). Additionally, anyone who wants to sign up as a Star can also be put into that category. This is because a lot more "Novices" (who is everyone else) sign up than stars, and it's better to receive some mentoring from someone who's good but not posted than from no one at all.

If you've done any of the following things, as examples, I strongly recommend you sign up as a Star:

• Contributed to an OCR album
  • Had a submitted remix rejected but with one or more "Yes" votes
  • Beat a posted remixer in direct competition (not counting forfeit)
  • Sold your compositions (remixes or not) for money

If you want to sign up conditionally (e.g. "I'd prefer to be a Novice, but if you need me to be a Star so more people can participate, that's fine too"), then go ahead, and bless you. If you do so for this episode, please choose both a source from a Disney game and an "M"-rated game.

Rules

• Enrollment/Pairings: I'm scrapping the old system, it was unnecessarily complicated. Basically, once the signup deadline is reached, whichever list of signups has more people in it will be truncated, based on order of signup, so the lists are the same size.
  • Mixes: The Novice must be the primary remixer. Stars can contribute by giving advice, playing a live instrument or vocals, and with production, including minor adjustments to fix timing or dissonance issues. They may also contribute a short solo segment. No one other than the Novice and Star may help in any way.
  • Submissions: All entries must be sent to me by the 12PM PDT deadline via PM on the forums, with a link to a reliable host for me to download your mix from. Please don't use Tindeck, as it doesn't give you control over what the filename will be when downloaded. I also recommend you post in this thread that you've submitted your mix, since I know there have been issues in other compos with PM's not being received. Please submit your file as an mp3, preferably encoded at a high-quality VBR or 320kbps. Filenames must be in the following format:
    Novice feat. Star - Title (Game 1 and Game 2).mp3
    Example:
    MindWanderer feat. djpretzel - Tricky Dick Mick (Mickey's Mousecapade and Leisure Suit Larry).mp3
    Proper file names mean I can do my job of getting the compliation done and posted faster, which means you get to hear the great music produced by this sooner.

Schedule

All deadlines are 10 PM Pacific time (PST).

• Signups until Thursday, Nov. 7, 20:00 PST. If you're signing up as a Novice, and didn't sign up for a previous episode, you must post links to at least two samples of your previous work! They don't have to be good, they don't even have to be game remixes, you just have to prove you're not brand-spanking-new to this music production thing. Things you've posted to the WIP forum are preferable but not required. If you're signing up as a Star, say a little bit about your strengths, and maybe post a link or three to remixes you feel best represent them. You can mention anything else you think would be helpful in working with you (software preferences, instruments you play, etc).
  • Announcement of the pairings on Nov. 7.
  • ReMixing from Nov. 7 to Thursday, Nov. 21, 20:00 PST (2 weeks). Rules and guidelines above.
  • Voting from whenever I get the compilation posted (should be no more than a few hours after the deadline) until Tuesday, Dec. 2, 20:00 PST. Votes should be based on, in roughly descending order, use of sources (i.e. interpreted but recognizable, with roughly equal use of both sources), arrangement, production, and enjoyability. You'll pick your three favorites, in order. Your first-place vote will get 3 points, your second-place 2 points, and your third-place 1 point. Participants (both Novices and Stars) may not vote for their own mixes, but participants who vote will get a free first-place vote added to their score. Please send me a PM with your votes, like this:
    1. First-place ReMix
    2. Second-place ReMix
    3. Third-place ReMix

Thanks for your interest, and lets get this show on the road!

Previous Episodes

Season 1 Compilation

• [thread=40611]Pilot Episode: "Beginnings"[/thread]
  • [thread=41556]Season 1, Episode 1: "Spooky!"[/thread]
  • [thread=41864]Season 1, Episode 2: "Origins of Home Gaming"[/thread]
  • [thread=42143]Season 1, Episode 3: Special "You Can Never Have Too Much Mega Man" edition[/thread]
  • [thread=42485]Season 1, Episode 4: "Yesteryear"[/thread]
  • [thread=42797]Season 1, Episode 5: "Ultra-Modern"[/thread]
  • [thread=43124]Season 1 Finale: "Touched by a Star"[/thread]
  • [thread=43437]Season 2, Episode 1: "Country Road"[/thread]
  • [thread=43702]Season 2, Episode 2: "Tropical Vacation!"[/thread]

Edited by MindWanderer

Hey MindWanderer, nice to see Remixing with the Stars start up again! I'm going to sit this one out, I want to focus on Brandon's Final Fantasy competition.

Have fun everyone!

Boooooooo! Shame on you Cash, that's not the Capitals way! :razz:

Seriously though; I'm going to try juggling both competitions so I'm sure you could. What's the worst that could happen? :grin:

sign me up as a novice! So stoked to see the RWTS back in action!

edit: i didnt read the part about sources. ill pick Duck Tales (NES) - The Moon.

I know it was in darkeswordes megaman compo, but its such a good theme!

You had it right first time dude :) Novices need to choose a M rated game theme while stars pick a Disney tune.

That's a damn bold choice.

Or as I like to call it, an impossibly high challenge just to see if I'll fall flat on my face or not :tomatoface:

EDIT: Stupid comments aside, there needs to be more stars signing up or I don't think this episode will exist

Edited by Anorax

Signing up as a star.

My pick will be the track that plays when viewing the world map in Duck Tales: The Quest for Gold. I hope this is eligible, I'm not too knowledgeable about Disney games.

You mean this? (2:30) http://youtu.be/U60ad2wRYII?t=2m30s

If so, that's a slow remix of the Duck Tales TV show theme song and is thus ineligible per OCR general rules.

Edit: If you want some excellent soundtracks to start with, I recommend the NES soundtracks to Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and Tale Spin. Rescue Rangers is a personal favorite that didn't make it into the WCRG (especially the Capcom-eriffic Zone J).

If this ends up being a collab thing with people who are more or less at the same skill level, then so be it. Not gonna cancel it this time.

Edited by MindWanderer

You mean this? (2:30) http://youtu.be/U60ad2wRYII?t=2m30s

If so, that's a slow remix of the Duck Tales TV show theme song and is thus ineligible per OCR general rules.

May have meant this

but that is an awfully short source. The remastered version
is a little more substantial, but starts to borrow from the show's main theme.

Err... nevermind. I'm incapable of adding a colonized statement to a title in my head and assumed that was the name of the TRACK, which sounded different on that port.

[Also, I can't edit my other post because it hasn't been "approved" yet? Izzis a feature of being an un-established presence, having all my posts scrutinized until I hit some respectability limit (like 30 days or 100 posts or whatever)? I get it if that's the case, cutting down on spam and all, but I don't see this mentioned in the posting guide... bleh. It's not a discussion for this thread.]

Edited by Liontamer
double post merge

[Also, I can't edit my other post because it hasn't been "approved" yet? Izzis a feature of being an un-established presence, having all my posts scrutinized until I hit some respectability limit (like 30 days or 100 posts or whatever)? I get it if that's the case, cutting down on spam and all, but I don't see this mentioned in the posting guide... bleh. It's not a discussion for this thread.]

It's automated based on whatever parameters vBulletin uses to flag potential stuff. I check through them every few hours and approve the non-spam. I don't quite get its selection process either, but just be patient. :-)

It's automated based on whatever parameters vBulletin uses to flag potential stuff. I check through them every few hours and approve the non-spam. I don't quite get its selection process either, but just be patient. :-)

Further analysis shows it actually only seems to happen when I post from some other physical location (need more locations tested). This post, made from my home desktop, will probably go through no problem. Huh.

To stay on topic, the Quest for Gold theme mentioned is almost definitely not allowed, and the super short theme I mentioned (while probably allowed) would be hard to squeeze enough out of while still being recognizable as the source and is probably a bad idea. Sad day.

Hmm... I'd thought that the older, more experienced remixers would be more keen on the old-school Disney sources than the M-rated ones (which are generally newer), but I seem to have erred. Would there be more interest if I flipped them? Novices with Disney and Stars with M-rated games? If you're cool with that, please go ahead and post a source pick, in the end I'll go with whichever arrangement is more popular.

I'd like to try again. How about this song?

Dark Souls OST - Moonlight Butterfly / Dark Sun Gwyndolin

The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse - Dark Forest

I can always go rogue and just mix for two weeks without a star again. Doesn't bother me either way.

PS: Hey Esperado "TAJ Represent" :)

Edited by shadow24