Blizzcon 2013

Ryan Jobson

I havent' played WoW since BC.... I actually find it hard to believe people still play that game. It's still the same old thing... I'm more interested in hearing news of the titan project, but I think recently I read somewhere that they scrapped the project and are going to give it a complete overhaul, so we probably wont see that game on shelves until about 2018 or so.... fml

I guess... I have watched my friends play cata and watched streamers play pandaria and everyone leaves for the same reasons it seems. new patches, gear resets, farm, upgrade, gotta grind dailys and whatevers to get honor and blah blah blah... basically I lost interest because they just made the game less fun. In the days of Vanilla and BC it was fun when you could kind of "break" the game... kiting dinosaurs from that place to the left of tanaris, un'goro crater i think, and devilsaur, yeah thats it! kiting those bad boys into orgrimmar and watching the chaos ensue. People who had 3 epic items were considered godly, because they were so difficult to achieve. Now you can play for one week and be decked out in epics. They just streamlined everything and took the fun out of the game, nothing has meaning, nothing really has value anymore. That's basically how I feel about it these days. Maybe part of it is me getting older, or that it's just not fresh anymore (it was afterall my first mmo, so even the simple things like "holy shit, you're telling me there is a day and night system?" or "wtf.... are you really saying that other character is controlled by a real person!?") I will never be able to experience again. I'm 26 and I feel I've become an old man. Dang kids and their epics these days!

/rant

ON TOPIC: I'm still excited to see what blizzard has cooking up their sleeves. (is that even a saying?)

ON TOPIC: I'm still excited to see what blizzard has cooking up their sleeves. (is that even a saying?)

Cooking up your sleeves sounds really dangerous and it seems like a good recipe for scorched flesh. :tomatoface:

I am excited for the new Diablo 3 expansion cause it sounds like it's actually going to be good. Not going to Blizzcon though.

I guess... I have watched my friends play cata and watched streamers play pandaria and everyone leaves for the same reasons it seems. new patches, gear resets, farm, upgrade, gotta grind dailys and whatevers to get honor and blah blah blah... basically I lost interest because they just made the game less fun. In the days of Vanilla and BC it was fun when you could kind of "break" the game... kiting dinosaurs from that place to the left of tanaris, un'goro crater i think, and devilsaur, yeah thats it! kiting those bad boys into orgrimmar and watching the chaos ensue. People who had 3 epic items were considered godly, because they were so difficult to achieve. Now you can play for one week and be decked out in epics. They just streamlined everything and took the fun out of the game, nothing has meaning, nothing really has value anymore. That's basically how I feel about it these days. Maybe part of it is me getting older, or that it's just not fresh anymore (it was afterall my first mmo, so even the simple things like "holy shit, you're telling me there is a day and night system?" or "wtf.... are you really saying that other character is controlled by a real person!?") I will never be able to experience again. I'm 26 and I feel I've become an old man. Dang kids and their epics these days!

/rant

I'm messing with you man. xD

I'm excited about several things. First, the Blizzard moba. If it turns out to be as fun as hearthstone is then I'm totally in. Second, I'm really curious about the new WoW Expansion.

It has been leaked already that the expansion will be "Warlords of Draenor" which hints at a return to outlands or (what I'm thinking makes more sense) a new chunk of Draenor that is not outlands. The outworldly setting appeals to me a lot, since In my opinion this last expansion was boring as shit regarding the new Pandaria continent. Even cata had some very interesting places (my favorite was deepholm). I dropped out of MoP because of that, and also because forcing dailies onto everything was ridiculous and I fucking hate dailies. I came back for the last patch and they seemed to have learned their lesson and now dailies aren't mandatory, but we'll see how they handle things next expac.

Second, I really want to know what are they going to do to keep the game fresh this time around. I don't see any new class that could be included that has ties to warcraft lore like the death knight and monk did. New races? All the main races from warcraft are playable in the game already except for the Naga, so any new inclusion would feel gimmicky as well. We know the new models for the old races are coming this expansion but thats not really exciting enough.

So yeah a big part of why I'm looking forward to the expansion announcement is to see what they will do because for every other expansion I knew there was still a lot of cool stuff left to be done but right now, other than a return to an outlands-style world I really can't think of anything else. Maybe a new fourth specialization for every class? that's a possibility. Ranged Warriors and priest tanks, make it happen Blizz.

I guess I am remotely interested in the new D3 expansion. It's no secret by now how D3 wasn't the Blizzard quality game everyone expects but they seem to be genuinely interested in fixing everything up, even going as far as doing what no one thought they would, removing the main source of every major problem in D3: the auction house. But maybe at this point it's too little too late? we'll see, but its kinda sad that a fucking D3 expansion is so low on the list of games I'm looking forwards to.

But yeah, Blizzcon should be interesting this year, if only because of the blizzard moba and WoW expansion.

Edited by Sir_NutS

I'm excited about several things. First, the Blizzard moba. If it turns out to be as fun as hearthstone is then I'm totally in.

Yes. Super excited to see some news about this. I have a lot of friends who are completely split on Dota2 and lol, most of them love blizzard, it'd be nice to be able to play with all of them again.

Second, I'm really curious about the new WoW Expansion.

I am genuinely surprised so many people are excited about the next one, or the game in general. It's really showing its age mechanically. Maybe they'll have a new feature or something big that will draw me in, liiike.. player housing? but if its just more content and a higher level cap, I wont be very interested. Also, Wildstar currently has all my mmo hype, I don't think I have any to spare! It looks incredible.

I am genuinely surprised so many people are excited about the next one, or the game in general. It's really showing its age mechanically. Maybe they'll have a new feature or something big that will draw me in, liiike.. player housing? but if its just more content and a higher level cap, I wont be very interested. Also, Wildstar currently has all my mmo hype, I don't think I have any to spare! It looks incredible.

I don't think it's showing it's age mechanically, as the game is surprisingly fun to play and the gameplay mechanics have never been so polished, playing every class is surprisingly very satisfying.

However the game is showing its age in many other aspects, specially the graphics. They will be doing an update to the old character models in this expansion, but with the current engine I don't see them being a huge leap in quality. They keep adding stuff to this old engine to try to keep it updated but all it does is make it require more resources than it should. I can play games as beautiful as Tera, Rift or Guild Wars 2 but I can't enter Orgrimmar without my computer slowing to a crawl? come on.

As for Wildstar I was interested in that game since the first time I saw it, it looks incredibly fun and I love the art style but they haven't sent me a beta key yet :S. I hope I get one in the next wave in December so I can try it out, but it does look fun indeed.

decently excited for the WoW expansion, will wait and see on D3, and I am curious about the MOBA. after playing a ton of Hearthstone, i've decided it's not really for me, but I hope it makes a ton of money to force Magic the Gathering to program a good client for their online game.

Also, K-Wix, would player housing really be that interesting to you? It's like; a house that you decorate? Not seeing the appeal, so I think i'm missing something and would like some clarification.

However the game is showing its age in many other aspects, specially the graphics. They will be doing an update to the old character models in this expansion, but with the current engine I don't see them being a huge leap in quality. They keep adding stuff to this old engine to try to keep it updated but all it does is make it require more resources than it should. I can play games as beautiful as Tera, Rift or Guild Wars 2 but I can't enter Orgrimmar without my computer slowing to a crawl? come on.

That's because WoW really depends heavily on the CPU more than the GPU.

That's because WoW really depends heavily on the CPU more than the GPU.

Just like any other MMO. The only difference is that newer MMOs based on newer tech and engines are better optimized while WoW has just been piling features on a 10 year old engine. There's only so much you can do to optimize old code before you need to start a whole new platform with new codebase.

Just like any other MMO. The only difference is that newer MMOs based on newer tech and engines are better optimized while WoW has just been piling features on a 10 year old engine. There's only so much you can do to optimize old code before you need to start a whole new platform with new codebase.

No I mean WoW's graphics engine does most of it's work in the CPU, rather than the GPU, where most modern games (MMO or not) do their graphics work.

Edited by DarkeSword

A lot of the old WoW team has returned to work on the next expansion, since the Titan project has ceased full production and gone back to the drawing board. That's one thing to give it a more optimistic outlook at least. I think once Wrath of the Lich King finished initial development, they switched to the new WoW team we've had up till today.

No I mean WoW's graphics engine does most of it's work in the CPU, rather than the GPU, where most modern games (MMO or not) do their graphics work.

In the end is the same thing Darke, if it was based on modern tech and engines that take advantage of modern gpu architectures it wouldn't have to rely on CPU power as much and it wouldn't run relatively worse than much modern games.

At this point the engine is pretty bloated, and there's not much they can do about that other than creating a new one which is based on newer tech from the ground up, which won't happen because that would be a nightmare.

Also, K-Wix, would player housing really be that interesting to you? It's like; a house that you decorate? Not seeing the appeal, so I think i'm missing something and would like some clarification.

I'm a sucker for cosmetics, and player housing is always seemed like a really awesome under-explored concept in the mmo space. Wildstar has some super innovative ideas on dealing with housing, actually! Check it:

That being said, I just kinda threw the term out there. I'd need a big new feature to draw back into wow, the game feels way to old to me personally. I picked up Mists about 2 or 3 months into the release, and I couldn't really play the same game again. It's not really about housing per se - just about having something new enough to get me back into it.

In the end is the same thing Darke, if it was based on modern tech and engines that take advantage of modern gpu architectures it wouldn't have to rely on CPU power as much and it wouldn't run relatively worse than much modern games.

At this point the engine is pretty bloated, and there's not much they can do about that other than creating a new one which is based on newer tech from the ground up, which won't happen because that would be a nightmare.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just explaining why it's like that. xD

I'm a sucker for cosmetics, and player housing is always seemed like a really awesome under-explored concept in the mmo space. Wildstar has some super innovative ideas on dealing with housing, actually! Check it:

That being said, I just kinda threw the term out there. I'd need a big new feature to draw back into wow, the game feels way to old to me personally. I picked up Mists about 2 or 3 months into the release, and I couldn't really play the same game again. It's not really about housing per se - just about having something new enough to get me back into it.

yeah was gonna say, seems like they announced played housing lol. XD

I've been at work so I cant check most of the news, but i'd love to be able to play the MOBA with my wow character. Is that something they will let you do?