OCR Secret Santa 2013

Bahamut

I'm going to wait to post what I received until I get everything, but I am absolutely loving the format of my gift's delivery, and am probably going to rip it off for next year because it's an awesome way to prolong looking forward to getting stuff.

you need to explain afterward. i'm curious too.

Yay, I'm glad you got it, Shaggy. I was a little apprehensive leaving it at your door, because all the kids were outside since it was such a nice day, and Vinnie and I have gotten burned before by kids stealing a package around Christmas time. Since I wrapped it up all nice in the gift bag, I felt it might look appealing to an unscrupulous kid :-P I just thought it would be cool to give you a moment of that element of surprise that your OCR Santa hand-delivered the gift, but you probably just figured out that it was me. :<

I don't even

I won't even

Yeah

Hope you enjoy ^_^

xoxo

Diodes

Oh, I'm enjoying the gifts immensely. The kids in our neighborhood are actually pretty decent and we haven't had any packages taken in the 7 years we've been here. So, it's fine. :) By the way, mysteriously hand delivered gifts are the best!

One more thing...

screenshot-11-42-21-12-22-2013.png

what is this magic format?
you need to explain afterward. i'm curious too.

For my Christmas gift, The Damned (who I drew to give a gift to, incidentally -- I got him a copy of Arkham City and the Vaporeon plushy, see above) bought me one game off of my Steam wishlish for each of the twelve days leading up to Christmas. It has been an outrageous amount of fun knowing that I'd be getting a new game every day for the past week and then some. Here's what I got, with short writeup for each!

Day 1 -- To the Moon. This is one of those rare games that can draw Addie into playing along with me, and I appreciate this game most off of any of the list that I have had time to try thus far.

Day 2 -- Terraria. I have purposely not tried this yet as I pack for Christmas, but I have wanted it for a while and have been informed that I will lose a lot of time with this one, in the best way.

Day 3 -- Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Edition. Hilarious critique / sendup of JRPG games in which everything is as simplified as possible, so each quest takes only (and no more than, or you die) 30 seconds.

Day 4 -- Super Hexagon. Those of you who know me well know that I excel at oldschool games. I finished _everything_ there is to do in VVVVVV...and this was the most humbling experience I've had in years. Holy shit, this will destroy your gaming ego, but it's amazing.

Day 5 -- Hero Academy. I admit that I was playing Super Hexagon too much and didn't find time to play this to get a mini review written. :( Looking forward to playing it on my laptop over break!

Day 6 -- Skullgirls. I played the beta almost nonstop when it was available via private invite, and love the idea of an indie fighting game. More people should get on board with this game, as it provides an extensive tutorial system to help people learn how to play fighters, unlike the Capcom games where it's just assumed you know the basics. Love the film noir art style btw.

Day 7 -- Fly'N. I had to opportunity to review the modern Giana Sisters title for XBLAFans, and this game is giving me the same sort of vibe -- underrated indie platformer that I am going to play on my laptop next semester instead of working on my dissertation. Yippie!

Day 8 -- Fallout: New Vegas. I enjoyed Fallout 3, and can't wait to download the mod that combines the two games into a single, warpable world. I lived in the DC Metro area as a kid, so I'm looking forward to coming at the modern Fallout world without geographical biases this time around.

Day 9 -- Snapshot. See Day 7's review, though I really think I'm going to enjoy the mechanic here. Purposely have not installed on the desktop as this has been earmarked as an office time-wasting game (the best kind of game).

Day 10 -- Strike Suit Zero. No time to play many games so close to Christmas so no mini review here, unfortunately. I saw the trailer for this and it hit the wishlist immediately. Any game that appears to draw from Zone of the Enders and TIE Fighter is a game that I am going to spend a lot of time with -- I was really pumped to see this appear yesterday.

Day 11 -- Rise of the Triad. I played the hell out of the original, and enjoyed blasting away at the first level of this for 20 minutes or so today. Special points to the team member who decided to start the game with the classic Apogee theme and visuals...leading to a shift into a full HD Apogee logo and rock anthem version of the fanfare.

Day 12 -- Technically tomorrow is Christmas Eve, but I was just sent THREE GAMES to close out this amazing set.

Day 12.1 -- Monaco: What's Yours is Mine. I desperately wanted this when it released but couldn't afford it. It's essentially Ocean's Eleven: The Videogame with score by Austin Wintory.

Day 12.2 -- DmC: Devil May Cry. I read an interesting defense of DMC4 the other day, and am really looking forward to playing the latest game in the series. I'm not bothered by the visual reworking of the character, fwiw.

Day 12.3 -- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition. I love Castlevania and this is the very first game I am going to play through in 2013. I admit that the ending was long ago spoiled for me because the Internet sucks (hint: don't look up anything about it), but I think it's going to be amazing anyways. Also Patrick Stewart should be in EVERY GAME.

This was one of the best gifts I've gotten in a very long time, and I don't know how to say thank you enough. I'm looking forward to a big backlog for Christmas this year!

Joking aside, I'm really sorry. My gift will most likely not arrive in time for Christmas...

Dude, don't worry about it. Germany, that's incredible and it entirely makes sense why it's a little late. No worries.

So after an astonishing package from Germany arrives at my door...

MKYQpFD.jpg

A sweet card, and... oh my god, you made this, didn't you? You MADE this. You took what was once nothing and turned into this adorable Big Bang Theory cross stitch thing?! (I think that's the name of what this is?)

Anyways it's adorable and worth the wait, thank you! <3

Dude, don't worry about it. Germany, that's incredible and it entirely makes sense why it's a little late. No worries.

So after an astonishing package from Germany arrives at my door...

insert pic here

A sweet card, and... oh my god, you made this, didn't you? You MADE this. You took what was once nothing and turned into this adorable Big Bang Theory cross stitch thing?! (I think that's the name of what this is?)

Anyways it's adorable and worth the wait, thank you! <3

Yeah, that was me... I'm glad you like it! Gifting it away after stitching for a solid 3 weeks was kind of hard. Making these is my secret hobby, as it is not really fitting for a grown man ;-)

Anyways, enjoy looking at it as I enjoyed making it! And have a happy new year!

seems like it would only work well in that scenario, but its really cool! clever secret santa!

My Santa should have their goods right about now. hopefully it made it

It did! I was away for the holidays and came home to it. Thanks, it was perfect. And amazingly it wasn't one of the games I bought in my Vita spree, but still looks awesome. Thanks!

Jandalf, did you ever get my card?

Oh, SORRY! Yes, I got it some days ago and forgot to post it here... ;-)

Here it is:

IMG_20131230_190616.jpg

That is also very personal, could not buy that in a store ;-D

Thank you very much!

Dude, this is awesome.

I love all these super personal gifts that clearly a lot of care went into, that come out of the OCR SS ^_^ Sehr gut, Jandalf!

Danke schön, Diodes. Perhaps Santa will bring you something similar next year, if you behave well...

Edited by Jandalf

It did! I was away for the holidays and came home to it. Thanks, it was perfect. And amazingly it wasn't one of the games I bought in my Vita spree, but still looks awesome. Thanks!

I was a little worried that you might have had it, but I'm glad you didnt. I saw that you liked RPG's in the Vita thread, so it seemed like a solid choice!

so i found my SS package on the mail today :D

8wuyqbZl.jpg

9CONrsbl.jpg

some rad drinks mats with my nick on it and the ocr logo. Nice idea for a coffee drinker like me or for my glass of scotch :D

Thanks sir Unstable Hamster. (i think it's you from the name on the package )

EDIT: Thanks Linkpast then :D

Edited by Doulifée

• 2 weeks later...