Ice Cap Zone BEFORE Ice Cap Zone (song origin FINALLY REVEALED!)

DiGi Valentine

Ok, not sure if this has been posted anywhere here on the OCR forums. If it has, my bad. Can't find it anywhere. Nor am i sure if i should be posting this in this sub forum or somewhere else but i digress.

Something has recently come to light regarding the legendary ever-so-mostly-remixed Sonic tune of the bag - Ice Cap.

Listen to this -

What you are listening to is a note for note song that is technically Ice Cap ..roughly a decade before Ice Cap zone even appeared in Sonic 3.

The story goes like this.

Brad Buxer was the keyboardist from a New Wave band called The Jetzons.

This is their unreleased track, called Hard Times.

Now, those who have done their homework will know Brad Buxer also contributed music to Sonic 3 ...he should be in the credits for the game, even.

What people believe happened is that an unreleased track from The Jetzons winds it way in to the hands of MJ, who had been working on Sonic 3's music at the time.

Boom!

Instant level music for Ice Cap zone.

This ....this is insaaaane! And unbelievably mind blowing.

Just figured the vgm community would dig this little find.

All credits go to Sonic Retro for digging this one up.

LT Edit: http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/11/even-more-sonic-3-music-details-emerge/ - Gotta link Sonic Retro to properly credit this find. :-)

Edited by DiGi Valentine
added Sonic Retro link

Now OCR either needs to remove all the Ice Cap mixes from the site, or add another rule similar to the Tetris one. I'm glad I didn't remix Ice Cap zone yet, even though it was an obvious choice. :lol:

Even though the song wasn't written originally for the game, it first appeared in the game. I'm fairly sure there's lots of other examples of that and hunting them all down would be a really hard task. IMO there's no need to remove any Ice Cap remixes or invent a new rule.

Even though the song wasn't written originally for the game, it first appeared in the game. I'm fairly sure there's lots of other examples of that and hunting them all down would be a really hard task. IMO there's no need to remove any Ice Cap remixes or invent a new rule.

We already account for this in the submissions standards, exactly because of situations like this:

The music must have been composed specifically for the game or first published (or recognized) as the game's soundtrack. Movie themes such as Star Wars or licensed songs from games like Gran Turismo do not qualify.

Ah, yes yes. Thanks for editing the first post and linking to the original article. I found out about this through a news post elsewhere and i overlooked the link back to Retro, so cheers for that! :)

But yeah ...it's first appearance was in Sonic 3 so it shouldn't be a problem, in the grand scheme of things and OCR guidelines.

Lol now it makes perfect sense why the original PC port of Sonic 3 at the time had the music for the level completely changed!

And now i'm starting to wonder what other VGM music is old music that was never released officially by artists and wound up becoming VGM music later on down the line! XD

I've yet to listen to this, but my hope is still we help stop people saying it sounds like "Strangers in Moscow" or whatever that Michael Jackson song is that everyone attributes it to and doesn't really sound like it at all.

People don't say that about Strangers in Moscow and Ice Cap Zone. People say that about Strangers in Moscow and the Sonic 3 credits theme, which share a very distinctive harmonic structure.

People don't say that about Strangers in Moscow and Ice Cap Zone. People say that about Strangers in Moscow and the Sonic 3 credits theme, which share a very distinctive harmonic structure.

this.

basically, not only does the credits of Sonic 3 have the same chord progression, but it's in the exact same key. pretty much the only difference is the tempo. I'm sure lots of people didn't even have to compare the two to be able to notice they both sounded similar.

Pop-Fiction on GameTrailers recently did an excellent video on the Michael Jackson connections to Sonic 3:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/zo88qk/pop-fiction-episode-39--sonic-3--michael-jackson

this, meh frend, haz been brought up on another forumz

unless this one is entirely different, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing

I've yet to listen to this, but my hope is still we help stop people saying it sounds like "Strangers in Moscow" or whatever that Michael Jackson song is that everyone attributes it to and doesn't really sound like it at all.

I believe the song you meant was "Smooth Criminal" (though "Who Is It" gets named frequently too), which yeah, I've never been fully convinced of either. Now I know why.

Side note: if anyone is still doubtful, it's

. Edited by KyleJCrb

So, i decided to spend my entire evening last night going through The Jetzons catalogue (or what is available of their stuff on online ...which is not a lot) to see if i can find anything else resembling a Sonic 3 song. And while i'm not finding anything, there are a few other Jetzons songs that do sound very Sonic-y in sound though. So i definitely recommend people to check out their work. Especially if you dig a little New Wave. And if you find anything that i've overlooked then let us know, i'm interested to see what you might dig up.

Their track

is a beast of a track, i'm really digging that.

This unreleased song of theirs

is pretty damn smooth too. But there's a very short guitar section at the 1:30 mark which is making me think i've heard this somewhere else before. At first, i thought it was Sandopolis, but in hindsight and after checking it out i've come to realise it really isn't.

Dunno though, it does feel like i've heard it somewhere before though.

Anyways, yeah. Enjoy. Some great music is sitting there, with or without the Sonic connections.

Edited by DiGi Valentine