OCR Ad Fail

AngelCityOutlaw

So I was using a computer today that didn't have adblock and I saw this on the homepage.

OCRADFAIL_zpse753256d.png

?ui=2&ik=8e73d6c6a3&view=att&th=1424ae4c70abfd66&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hnwqcxec0&safe=1&zw

Kinda hilarious given all the arguments about sexism in video games that have taken place here with great intensity. Now, I'm not pointing fingers and I have no idea how much control this site has over ads. Actually, I really don't know much at all about internet advertising. Still, I thought it was worth sharing.

I do think it could possibly send the wrong message to new visitors by perhaps thinking that this site is affiliated with "male only" internet games. Most people probably have adblock and will never see it though.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

I've seen those ads on tumblr posts chuckling about them...they're the Wartune publisher with some new bland similar game with kinky advertising. It's still a boring "build up your ___" game, and I don't think all the poorly-drawn T&A shots in the world can help them. The funny thing is the ESRB told them to knock it off before they descended into Evony levels of madness.

Best part is they keep stealing artwork. They're a chinese company so fuck copyrights. Check out the source of that image, it was not painted for some lousy browser game ads.

Oh, and this is what the game looks like:

pirates-tides-of-fortune-kindom-work.jpg

CHECK OUT THAT HOT LOG SAWING ACTION 18+ ADULTS ONLY

Tried Wartune ages ago, found it even more boring than AdventureQuest (Which I last played in primary school, back when I felt such games were "fun") so I quit. And then these ads came out. Was I missing something? Went back to Wartune. Nope, not missing a single damn thing.

Whoever this company is, they really need to re-evaluate their marketing strategy. If the game was rated 18+, not sure if they could advertise it so widely. Then again, since it isn't, I think it's breaching advertising laws.

Ironically, there are teenagers games I played (high school, of course.) that could pass those restrictions. Doesn't programs such as IMVU have "adults-only" content? Let alone that MMO "Scarlet Blade" (Heard of it in a review on YouTube, and it was just another generic MMO. Except you could pay real money and remove the already-skimpy clothing your female avatar was wearing. Because there was no men in the game, barring NPCs...).

I think I'll stick to games with awesome music and fun gameplay, and the ones that force sexuality on the player can lie and rot for all I care.

There's one reason and one reason only that we run those ads:

Because those are some awesome games, and they're not for females, and only males should play them.

Or probably because it's what Google AdSense seems to think fits best & gets the most clicks. Go figure; I'd like more relevant & less embarrassing ads on the site, but it's pretty low on the laundry list at the moment, given a full slate of albums, mixposts, an eventual site redesign & forum migration, etc. We'll make this a goal for 2014 and leave it at that - it should be doable, but I'm not losing sleep over it atm. Is anyone else?

Obviously we're having fun, here, but RE: adblock - site operations DO really run off of advertising $$$, and it's been that way since the very beginning. I'd like more relevant ads as much as anyone, but I don't think it would magically make those currently using adblock stop using it for this site. Hopefully you can find other ways of chipping in because historically Google AdSense has been the one consistent source of income to offset hosting costs. At some point we plan on having donation buttons/pleas appear instead of ads, if you've got them blocked, FYI.

JIMMY WALES.

Obviously we're having fun, here, but RE: adblock - site operations DO really run off of advertising $$$, and it's been that way since the very beginning. I'd like more relevant ads as much as anyone, but I don't think it would magically make those currently using adblock stop using it for this site. Hopefully you can find other ways of chipping in because historically Google AdSense has been the one consistent source of income to offset hosting costs. At some point we plan on having donation buttons/pleas appear instead of ads, if you've got them blocked, FYI.

JIMMY WALES.

I understand that, but every time I've had malware or a virus on my computer in the past ten years, it's because I either didn't have Adblock or I had it turned off. The way ads work involves too many shady 3rd-party companies, and it's more for my computer's safety than the ads being obnoxious.

Now if there were some of those plain google text ads that I know are straight from google with nobody else involved, I'd be cool with not blocking those. The option's right there in Adblock. But seeing the ad featured in this topic makes me want to keep blocking, just because if that crap can get worked in, what else can get in there? The only ad company I haven't blocked is projectwonderful, because I read a lot of webcomics and a lot of advertising is done through that, and most of it is for other comics.