*NO* Castlevania 'Poison Hardcore'

Liontamer

Another old 404 from January 25th, I finally got a copy from Stewart. Original letter is quoted with the new, working URL in place.

WARNING: This mix is hard, fast and fucking evil

This is old school evil hardcore, pumping distorted bass and drums.

The track remixed is Poison Mind from CV1

Enjoy

Remixer: NoWave

Email: nowave@gmail.com

Game Remixed: CastleVania

Song Remixed: Poison Mind

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/castleva.zip - Track 9 ("Posion Mind")

Opens up with some really basic, beginnerish-sounding thumping and distortion. The synth design is really really really basic, and there's not much going on in the way of texture to fill out the track beyond the backing beats and distortion. There's effort put into creating some limited dynamics by dropping some parts in and out over time, but the effectiveness is really limited.

By 1:28, you've seemingly heard all of the ideas here and there's quite a lot of time left to go. Luckily we at least got something different on lead at 1:56-2:26. Some very simple phasing-style thumps built up the next/last section at 2:51, which was basically a rehash of the first part with some phaser/laser beam SFX on top.

Should be (and it was) pretty difficult getting enough mileage out of a 7-second-long theme. 3:51-long with the arrangement, I didn't really have to listen to it to know it was gonna be a challenge here. So yeah, too repetitive, I'm not sure how you're gonna make an idea like it work. Israfel managed to pull off more with less with his Pac-Man mix though, so it's not impossible.

The arrangement was fairly basic, but you at least changed the rhythm and tempo of the source. You gotta go for more variations in there to keep things fresh. And last but not least, I dunno when you're gonna get around to it, but your sounds are generally terrible. It's not that you need expensive stuff, but the synth design is so defaulty, thin, overly simplistic and poorly done that you don't have anything approaching a good texture. I'm not a hater, but you gotta step up that game, bro. This stuff has no chance.

NO

The distorted kick mixed in what that rather awful lead to start with already makes the track sound beginnerish.

When your backing synth comes in, you can already tell that it has a very unfitting over-the-top distortion on it. Considering you keep that going by itself for 8 bars after the melody stops, it doesn't really work as a solo.

The mix is otherwise pretty repetative, the hi-hats tap away without stopping or changing. The beats are generally the same right the way through with a few breaks. The rest of the mix is ultimately repetative. Kudos that you do have an all right sound going, it's just not quite clean and polished enough for the site's standards.

NO