I did a presentation on Chiptune Music for TEDxBuffalo

danimal cannon

Turned out pretty good. Just a couple minor gaffes, sentences that start awkwardly, "Atari Amiga", but otherwise came out nicely. I really only speak from anecdotal experience so your mileage with chipmusic may vary. Hopefully it might make you think about your craft in a different light.

My goals were:

a) fawn over all the amazing things I witness in the chipmusic scene

B) create an easily digestible primer for the uninitiated

c) accurately convey how making this sort of music is diametrically opposed to most modern music, and why that can be a great thing.

I would never be able to get up and talk to a bunch of people like that. Play music, sure, but give a lecture? I'll pass.

I wouldn't consider presentations and public speaking to be a particular talent of mine, but I overcame that with a lot of preparation and practice. Almost lost my voice a couple time just practicing all night long.

i particularly like the assertion that learning to make chiptunes made you a better guitarist

i decided to write a presentation about chiptunes for a speech class i took back in '07, and i believe that the basic understanding i have about music theory happens to be largely a component of the research i did for that speech