Space things (SC2 hyperspace & Tyrian Camanis)

Byproduct

Hello!

Here's a space-themed remix: [edit: final]

It has elements from the Hyperspace tune of Star Control 2 by Riku Nuottajärvi (original

) and the Camanis tune from Tyrian by Alex Brandon (original
).

If anyone could give it a listen with fresh ears, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I'll use the feedback to improve for the final version, if I can. And in return I'll comment on a bunch of other tracks here, as before, to keep the mutual feedback going. ^^

The ending is just a fade-out because it will eventually be connected to another track on an upcoming album.

Genre-wise it's, well, I don't know - spacesynth-ish breakbeats and big beat, or something. :D

Edited by Byproduct

I'm a big fan of the Tyrian 2k music and I've played Star Control 2 alot when I was a kid/teenager.

This is ByProduct-sound from 12 seconds to finish which is cool. Fans of Star Control 2 will love this :) Had to share this with a friend who asks me every now and then to remix SC2 music. I'll let you know what he thinks when he's back online. :)

Despite being quite repeative you've managed to keep it fresh by throwing in some nice arpeggios, changes in pace, while still keeping the bass pumping.

At 03:00 there's a refreshing transpose in the song which throws us into the world of Tyrian. Here you're going for a slower kinda epic pace. At 03:54+ I was not very convinced, I didn't like that part at all. But then it goes back to the good stuff around 04:18. @05:33 there's some really cool thing you're doing which I can't explain what it is, but I really like it. Like very bright bass, then down back to the darker bass.

05:13 you're playing the melody with a overlay or whatever you call it, the melody is played twice. I like that, but it should be even stronger. Perhaps change the bassline during this part. Or perhaps you could add some really bright note playing the background to accompany the melody. I dunno.

Are you going to continue on and put Gradius music afterwards or perhaps Life Force/Salamander? Or maybe Star Fighter 3000 which was another space ship game I played on the PC when I was a kid. Then again, I don't think that game had any good soundtrack, but I dunno. :D

Sorry I couldn't give much constructive critique. But I like what I'm hearing, had I done it myself, I probably would have just done one of the songs and not both. I'll listen to it a few more times later and maybe I can come up with more stuff which can be helpful.

Thanks a lot for the comments!

I wasn't fully satisfied with the part after 4min either. Yeah it has to go, I could maybe try something softer with less drums as an interlude. Thanks for calling me out on that. :D Also what you said about 5:13 is a great idea, I'll do it!

Edited by Byproduct

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, new version here! Also updated the first post.

Some mixing aside, the first part (hyperspace) is pretty much the same as before, but the second part (camanis) has changed here and there. Also it ends with the boss theme for that level (called 'camanise') and will then blend onto the following track on the upcoming album, hence it's still just a fade-out here.

I tried adding a third full source for even more space things but that didn't work out so well. I think the structure I want is now here. If you have any opinion on the track, I'd love to hear it before tweaking the final version. ^^

Edited by Byproduct

I enjoyed listening to this quite a bit. Like I said, I really like the high energy in the Hyperspace section, and the shift to half tempo in the Tyrian section is quite cool. Harmony-wise I thought the transition was a little awkward, as the pieces are in different modes (maybe just major vs minor?) or something and the transition plays them together for some time. (It's not that uncommon to hear this in DJ sets and it always bothers me :))

The two sections feel quite separate as compositions, like two pieces that are segued together. This might well be a problem if you are planning to submit this to OCR according to the standards, but apart from the harmony in the transition, it didn't detract from the listening enjoyment.

Also re: OCR standars is that the hyperspace section felt pretty close to the original, and the panel might be looking for more reinterpretation. Don't know about the Tyrian part since I'm not nearly as familiar with the sources, but I'll say that the sources must have fit together well (or you have fitted them together well), since I couldn't really tell there were two sources.

The only other crits that I have is that the brass synth to the left that starts at 1:30 has awkward timing, and the old school tracker-sounding lead starting at 4:59 was a bit upfront and dry in the mix.

Good work!

--Eino

The only other crits that I have is that the brass synth to the left that starts at 1:30 has awkward timing, and the old school tracker-sounding lead starting at 4:59 was a bit upfront and dry in the mix.

Yes, these are just the kind of things I get deaf to when working on the same track for too long. Thanks! I shifted the 1:30 synth a bit and gave the SID lead some water. New version here and on the first post.

(The 1:30 synth was a wav ripped from the original track as a little gimmick so I couldn't make it perfect, but it's better now.)

I agree this would probably not get past the judges for the reasons you mentioned - actually I wasn't planning on submitting all, just needed feedback. Should've probably mentioned that. :P

Cheers!