Video Content Ideas for OC ReMix's YouTube Channel

DarkeSword

I can think of lots of subjects more boring than music theory. Aside from that, even the most "boring" subject can be presented in a fun and interesting way.

Agreed here: production/editing will be key in that regard. I've said before, execution will make all the difference. We'd like for 'eval' and 'approval' to be out of the equation, so do your best to 'bring it.'

I hope video obligations leave me alone long enough to gather my own ideas here.

Maybe you should put it to a public poll and see what the audience would want. That's more effective than asking for ideas and shooting them all down. Heck, maybe they'll even vote for ideas you shot down. Just be cautious not to dissipate what OCR is known for and what people care about.

I said that if someone wants to take ownership of a ReMixer interview show, that'd probably be fine.

And I'm not "shooting down" all of the ideas. I'm just clarifying that suggesting posting more music-only videos (i.e. remix requests or compo mixsets) on the channel is not the kind of suggestion we're looking for. The vast majority of the channel is already music-only.

A compo overview show is good, so long as it discusses the compos and competitors themselves beyond just saying "hey here are some tracks i liked."

If there was a show discussing OSTs, how much of the original soundtrack audio would it be permissible to include in a video

There may be some 'fair use' protection, but obviously I'm no expert. My general MO would be to try to use as little of anything 'official' as possible (a few seconds of music should be fine).

There may be some 'fair use' protection, but obviously I'm no expert. My general MO would be to try to use as little of anything 'official' as possible (a few seconds of music should be fine).

I thought any amount of 'official' music used counts as copyright infringement? At least, that's what I recall learning in econ in high school.

Yeah -- I'm sure one could get away with fair use on brief clips ... But I don't think anyone would want to learn about soundtracks or break down tunes without hearing a longer portion of them.

Licensing would be too much work, covering them on the video would be too much work for all but a few with quick ears, and even just trying to post the actual music -- for more modern soundtracks -- risks getting infringement marks on the account. Hmm

I had the funnest theory teacher in college, he was a warlock cause his last name rhymed with that and he was in a band. But at the end of the day, the thing about theory is that you have to keep with it or you won't retain it. I couldn't tell you a single thing about the circle of fifths today, but I had it memorized, and other circles, back in the day.

Yeah. I don't understand all the theory hate.

Maybe because most of the people here are Aurally based...

I think it would be interesting to highlight the theory and WHY it sounds good.

That way people can feel clever in understanding their mixes, and actually apply theoretical ideas from an aural standpoint.

Y'know?

Plus, I know Gario is a freaking monster at Theory.

He was a Composition Major like myself and if you got people like us to do that, we could find a fun middle ground between Theory and Aural.

Now I sound pretentious. :/

The virtues of theory aside, I think Shariq or Larry would be happy to post a legit test show on the subject if anyone has the time to try making one and sending it to them. At that point viewer response would settle the issue. (My personal prediction is that very few of the channel subscribers would be interested in just theory, and those of us that are interested in theory would just argue analyses and semantics in the comments.)

But, theory or not, I like the emphasis on making 'outward' content -- not just covering everything happening in the community or remixing remix, if you will. I'm just having trouble coming up with an idea that is outward, music-oriented, but also DMCA-streamlined.

I'm reading some informal stuff that says using less than 10% and no more than 30 seconds of material for editorial use is considered fair use. That would provide enough wiggle room, I think, for a show that looks at OSTs. . . but real legal issues aren't the problem. YouTube's content filters, user complaints, and the integrity of the youtube account are the immediate issues. My guess is that all one can do is try and see what happens in that regard.

Something that would be a lot more interesting to me is seeing remixers showing posted mix projects in their daw, the different parts, how everything was constructed.

This is exactly what I've often thought about. But I guess this idea has a similar problem as the remixer showcase videos: the production. People would have to pick up a camcorder and shoot the video themselves etc.

Music theory IS interesting, but for ppl who involved into music creation process. AND ONLY FOR THEM!

All my friends, ppl I know and myself, don't want to listen or watching some kind of lecture.

No matter how much fun you are, you'll be a boring dude who trying to lecture me. I don't need that, I don't want that. Why? Because I'm not a musician?? People love music. People love to know what was "under" that music, behind. People want to know the "story". We want to relax and enjoy. Remember TV shows? What purpose? Telling the "story" about source tune, remix, remixer, composer, game, will cause same effect as tv show.

IMO.

A history of vgm show? Start from the super early stuff like Space Invaders and talk about the tech, technical milestones, influential composers and soundtracks, that stuff. How did we get from four beeps to live orchestra?

I thought story and history kinda different words:whatevaa:

Well, sorry then.

story about: source tune, composer of that tune, remix of that source tune, remixer of remix of that source tune.

Edited by Mak Eightman

My question: is there any reason why there can't be a show specifically targeted at remixers? Having a show about applying music theory to remixing would be incredibly helpful to up-and-coming remixers, as well the more experienced remixers who may not have a lot theory knowledge. I suppose my idea could possibly fall under Source Breakdown.

There can still be plenty of other content that appeals to non-musicians, right?

Edited by Cash

I just thought of this, but I was planning on making some tutorials for my own personal Youtube channel, would that be cool to maybe try to make for OCR channel instead? Your audience is a lot bigger, more potential to actually help people that way.

They might be a bit DAW specific, since I use Cubase, but starting off it would cover pretty basic things. Setting up a session would be the first one. Let me know if it sounds like something I should pursue, thanks :-)