good tool for Slicing up loops

Esperado

dBlue Glitch v1.3. Precursor to v2.0.2, but free. It doesn't even have to be for just drums. Tapestop, FM resynthesis, Retrigger, Shuffle, Reverse, Bitcrush, Gate, Delay, and Stretch. At first it may seem pretty recognizable when people use it, but you can easily personalize how it sounds with the knobs and parameters.

http://illformed.org/downloads/illformed_old_vst_plugins.zip

The other three are older than that, and Glitch v1.3 already has them implemented.

Edited by timaeus222

most of those are PC only, and you know me, im a glazed eyed apple feind :sleepdepriv: the bright side is that i figured out that ableton has a built in beat slicer that so far, works pretty schnazzy. now i can go back to some remixes and spice up those overly repetative loops i used without compromizing the slick sound design by trying to imitate the loops with my own samples!

thanks for the help anyways though guys! :)

most of those are PC only, and you know me, im a glazed eyed apple feind :sleepdepriv: the bright side is that i figured out that ableton has a built in beat slicer that so far, works pretty schnazzy. now i can go back to some remixes and spice up those overly repetative loops i used without compromizing the slick sound design by trying to imitate the loops with my own samples!

thanks for the help anyways though guys! :)

Luckily dBlue Glitch v2.0.2 is MAC/Windows. It'd be $60 but worth like $200. :grin:

dblue does beat repeat/glitch stuff too right? Ive just used abletons built in beat repeat, but it only lets you do pretty basic stuff. you cant do complex patterns or do upwards pitch shifting( only downwards for some reason). I also have livecut, but livecut seems to be pretty random and the GUI doesnt make much sense to me. Ive heard effectrix is pretty nice too for fun glitchy stuff too

dblue does beat repeat/glitch stuff too right? Ive just used abletons built in beat repeat, but it only lets you do pretty basic stuff. you cant do complex patterns or do upwards pitch shifting( only downwards for some reason). I also have livecut, but livecut seems to be pretty random and the GUI doesnt make much sense to me. Ive heard effectrix is pretty nice too for fun glitchy stuff too

Yeah, it does those two things with retrigger. The FM modulator is pretty sweet too. Also, you can combine layers of effects and save presets that can be loaded onto any MIDI note, with each MIDI note capable of holding a set of differently modified effects. :)

Effectrix works well, but personally, I prefer dBlue.

Edited by timaeus222

Those are buffer effects, not tools to slice and rearrange loops. Just so the OP is clear.

True, but the end result is essentially the same with certain effects like gating and retrigger, of course. I assume you can use Ctrl+E to slice loops in Ableton, and that there's no real need to randomize where the DAW reads the loop (i.e. "shuffle" in Glitch v1.3) unless you're interested in granular synthesis I suppose.

Edited by timaeus222

Those are buffer effects, not tools to slice and rearrange loops. Just so the OP is clear.

effectrix is?

i was just curious about dblue's glitch capabilities because i had head of it being used for that before, and was curious, while it was on topic.

I think ill probably give dblue a shot. slicex is only for FL and i havent yet learned how to use FL yet.

if im not mistaken, i believe the crystal method use geist for various things, despite the lack of material coming from them in the past few years.

what i meant to ask is that when you said "those are buffer effects" , you were referring to effectrix, dblue, and other glitch fx, right?

I think im gonna stick with abletons slice to midi function for drum samples for now though. It works well enough for now.

for future reference, between dblue and geist though, which would be more useful for the money? dblue is cheaper, but if geist is more powerful(?) then i may as well just save up and grab that one instead.

oh ok! I thought for some reason that timaeus said that dblue did loop slicing too.

i was just looking for a loop slicer, but im glad i learned about some glitch fx vst's too.

Nah, I just figured if you wanted a loop slicer, a tool that can do that and more would be of interest too (which doesn't mean I'm talking about Glitch in this sentence).

Though chopping and slicing are two different things. Chopping = gating, retrigger, shuffle, etc. Slicing = manual cutting up of an audio file.

Edited by timaeus222

I don't know why Glitch is mentioned here.

It doesn't have anything to do with slicing.

What you want is a program that cuts the audio file up by detecting transients and figuring those are the individual drum sounds. Then it maps each slice to a MIDI key so that you can play each drum sound in the loop separately, like a loaded drum kit.

Glitch has absolutely 0% relevant functionality to loop slicing. All it can do is repeat, which repeats the the last 16th note or so of audio feed and shuffle, which I still have no idea to this day how it works, but it is not controllable, and not really a slicer. Glitch doesn't process the audio to detect sound transients, it simply plays with incoming audio feed in rhythmic intervals that are synced to the DAW's tempo.