I Have Never Played a Final Fantasy Game. Which One Should I Start With?

SonicSynthesis

Final Fantasy games are really all over the place in terms of settings, gameplay mechanics, art styles, musical styles, etc. This is especially true of every entry post-X(and maybe post-VI or VII really).

It really depends on what you want out of your games.

If you're into relatively deep gameplay mechanics, you can't go wrong with Final Fantasy V or X-2. The latter is probably the best in terms of its job system and interesting combat systems, but I'd recommend V over it simply because X-2 is a direct sequel to X, and I really can't in good conscience recommend FFX to anyone(strange considering I love the FFXIII series).

Outside of that, I would probably directly recommend either FFTactics, FFVI, FFVIII, or XII.

Really though I don't think it's fair to say any one is objectively better than any other. They all play to different strengths and have different weaknesses. For that reason as well, don't judge a bad experience to be representative of the series as a whole. As I said before, the games are all over the place and each one has their fanbase.

Edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Final Fantasy Tactics.

What in God's holy na... 8-O NO.

Look, there is a difference between "which game in a series should I start with" and "which game in a series is your favorite?". The two questions focus on different mechanics. It is foolish to recommend a game in a series that is one of the hardest and hardest to follow (FFT is both) and does not play like many others in a series. Final Fantasy is not a fully tactical series, so recommending a tactical version of the game as the first is goofy!

FFIV and FFVI are the best starting choices because they are among the simplest to play, simplest to follow, and represent the core Final Fantasy experience at it's best. Each other one from that offers a unique deviation from that experience (yes, even FF1 could be considered a deviation, as it is still quite different from most other Final Fantasies today) that can only be truly appreciated once the core experience is first introduced.

FFIV and FFVI are the best core experiences, and from there you can see how basic Final Fantasy tried to do Dragon Quest (FF1), SaGa (FF2), really started to get creative and refine some of their stuff into a more focused gameplay (FF3), introduced the best job system and a slew of secrets and side quests (FF5), tried to join the future and get out of the old era (FF7), tried to REALLY experiment with what they established (FF8), tried to fix that experiment with a mix of old and new (FF9), tried to say "Fuck it, let's just go forward" (FF10), tried to do MMO (FF11), tried to get into tactical rpg (FFT series) and tried to turn it into automated Secret of Mana (FFXII). I haven't played after that, so I don't know about any other ones.

Sorry to go off on a tangent here (that is intended to be lighthearted all the same) but you people are really testing my aspie patience. :twisted:

Edit: That is not supposed to be shades there. That is supposed to be FF8.

FFT isn't that complicated of a game. Really, nothing from 1-12 is that complicated. (I haven't played 13 and beyond so I can't comment on those)

This is their first Final Fantasy experience, not their first gaming experience ever.

It was the translation that was the issue, if I recall. Getting the 'War of the Lions' update might make it a lot easier to follow.

FFT isn't that complicated of a game. Really, nothing from 1-12 is that complicated. (I haven't played 13 and beyond so I can't comment on those)

This is their first Final Fantasy experience, not their first gaming experience ever.

It's still the general practice that you recommend the simpler or simplest of something when someone asks you for starting options. Beyond one's ability to grasp the gameplay (which, you're right, isn't that complicated in general) it also makes appreciating the other ones much easier. If you start with the best and most advanced, the other ones won't match up.

I started with X and I liked it. Not difficult to grasp like the majority of the series' ATB system - it's straight turn-based, with random encounters, and has that obvious "Final Fantasy" feel to it.

Some of the bosses can be stupidly hard and the level-up system is unorthodox compared to the rest of the series, but it was the easiest game I've played in the series to get into (FFI is an unforgiving automated D&D campaign and FFIV was just....what).

Am i correct when i say that there is no continuing story throughout the series, each game has completely different characters in a completely different world? Do i need to play them starting from 1 and working chronologically or can i start on any one in the series without losing out on any story?

The only FF game to have a sequel was FFX, which was FFX 2. Aside from that, you are correct. Nothing is linear or connected. I would advise playing VI first.

*spouts genius*

He's definitely right about IV/VI being great setters and core experiences and spot on about differentiating favorite from best introduction. MX has it. Absolutely do not play FFT first. If you play FF-1-3, don't play an NES version; play an updated one. But you should just avoid those caveats and just listen to MX - IV/VI. I'd lean towards IV.

just junction a bunch of ultima to squalls strength and ff8 becomes totally broken, no matter the level of the enemy. 100 ultimas on any characters strength equates to 9999 per hit. Just imagine the limit breaks for characters who hit more than once. 9999 X 6 = dead bosses.

For extra fun, junction 100 ultima to level 100 squall and give him the suicide/sacrifice option gained from cactuar (don't forget the attack power increases from GF's) and just destroy essentially every boss in the game in one hit. Mobile type 8 giving you problems? One hit kill. Sick of Seifer belittleing you? Take him out before he's even done taunting!

with the ultima and omega weapons, as well as the final boss, you have to weaken them a bit first, but you can easily cut the fight time in half with the suicide/sacrifice command, as long as you make sure its the final blow.

That's how I played final fantasy 8

He's definitely right about IV/VI being great setters and core experiences and spot on about differentiating favorite from best introduction. MX has it. Absolutely do not play FFT first. If you play FF-1-3, don't play an NES version; play an updated one. But you should just avoid those caveats and just listen to MX - IV/VI. I'd lean towards IV.

I can agree with this, with the added on statement of: Do not play FFT first, but DO play it at some point. It's definitely one of the FFs that deserves to be played by everyone, even those who aren't huge strategy/RPG fans.

I think at this point it's either

Well, all you have to remember is play the game like it's a Shin Megami Tensei title (buffs buffs buffs buffs and if all else fails, grind grind grind grind), and you'll be fine. :3 But it's less accessible and more unforgiving than even a game like FFX.

Of course, I have the GBA Dawn of Souls remake, so I'm unsure if later versions are the same...

Wait.

FFX, unforgiving?

Hah

For someone who hadn't played any JRPGs aside from Pokemon before, yeah, FFX's bosses, especially the last four or five, are evil and cruel.

I'd probably have less of an issue now that I've thoroughly defeated Personas 3 & 4 and other Shin Megami Tensei titles, but at the time it was really, really hard.

For someone who hadn't played any JRPGs aside from Pokemon before, yeah, FFX's bosses, especially the last four or five, are evil and cruel.

I'd probably have less of an issue now that I've thoroughly defeated Personas 3 & 4 and other Shin Megami Tensei titles, but at the time it was really, really hard.

Yes; however, a few rough bosses doesn't make the whole game unforgiving. Dark Souls is unforgiving; FFX is merely mean-spirited on occasion. Either way, I still enjoyed the game enough, and I think it could actually be a fair intro to the series, though not necessarily representative of the majority.