So Winamp is shutting down.

Bleck

Chipamp is just a collection of a bunch of plugins in the first place. Right on the website it has an alternative of Audio Overload and i'm sure most of these plugins have alternate installs for like Foobar and other players.

I'm very sad to see Winamp go. It has always been my favorite music player. The amount of plugins you can get to play retro music is amazing. But, if you've already got a copy of Winamp installed, it isn't like it will stop functioning. And being the internet at all, the download will be found somewhere. I know I'm going to keep rocking it for all my music needs, for all time :)

Here is hoping they will do the right thing and open source it / release the source. If not, I'm sure all the plugin devs will move elsewhere.

For some reason, I see people continuing to distribute it throughout the internet for years to come, and possibly even continuing to develop things for it long after the official site dies. There's too many people that only use this player for it to suddenly get wiped from the internet once the company discontinues it.

I personally stopped using it once I had my own computer, but that's just me. Still sad to see the llama finally won, in the end.

I heard about this yesterday but mostly from fans of the site, I checked out the site to see if it is true, and I didn't see anything abut this on the site. Where is this info? Or is the info about it shutting down on it now? Perhaps I will check again.

Winamp was my 1st media player since I got my Windows XP machine many moons ago.

If it is true that it is shutting down, then I will be one sad panda, but hopefully it will still function like normal.

Idk if it's supporting features like AOL Music and shout-cast will be around, but I doubt it.

I discovered OCR from Winamp Radio.

x_x

Surely the end of an era. Definitely some bloat on recent builds (also don't dig constant upgrade notices), so it's not on my vital 'studio' systems, but for convenient VGM discovery (thanks to the best plugins and Dave's Chipamp project) I gotta have it, currently on a couple laptops. That's at least until foobar approaches the same level of quality and quantity with their VGM plugins. I maybe would like to see a final update to Chipamp to keep things at their most current before the end, especially with the huge improvements on in_vgm since last update.