OCR01468 - Lufia & The Fortress of Doom "Metastatic Bloodline"

djpretzel

Ever since I started coming to OCR Darengen has been one of my favorite mixers. I opened up my browser window today and thought,"Ooh, a Lufia mix. Lufia's got some neat tracks." Then I looked at the remixer and.. 8O

Good game + good music + great remixer = Win

Keep up the good work Darangen. You never disappoint.

Now, I don't claim to be a musical prodigy or anything, but why are there two rhythm guitars (one panned left, one right) and the lead is panned all the way to the left? Does that make any sense? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Aside from that, I found this mix to be pretty drab. Nothing really stood out to me; just a bunch of "dun duns" and wailing guitars. I enjoy the sources tunes more... but, then again, I think the Lufia music (from the first two games only) is great; even though the second game re-used just about every song.

Anywho, decent production; the panning really throws me for a loop though. I like the mix more than I'm making it sound, honest.

Very good. As with every Darangen remix thus far, the first time though, I really disliked it. This song grew on me very quickly, though. Great pace, very smooth, no heavy reliance on annoying solos, good tiering of guitars so as to not sound showy. Not your best (Deadly Promises permenantly holds that spot), but very good. I'll be listening to this for years. And don't you ever stop making remixes, good sir.

EDIT: a week or so later, and I absolutely love this song. Darangen songs have this thing of growing on me. Keep it up, this is an awesome song.

Now' date=' I don't claim to be a musical prodigy or anything, but why are there [i']two rhythm guitars (one panned left, one right) and the lead is panned all the way to the left? Does that make any sense? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Aside from that, I found this mix to be pretty drab. Nothing really stood out to me; just a bunch of "dun duns" and wailing guitars. I enjoy the sources tunes more... but, then again, I think the Lufia music (from the first two games only) is great; even though the second game re-used just about every song.

Anywho, decent production; the panning really throws me for a loop though. I like the mix more than I'm making it sound, honest.

Guitar doubling is a very common technique among guitarists for getting a wider sound. The usage here was a bit unconventional because usually the doubled track is played nearly exactly the same, whereas here, the tracks were somewhat different. I don't think it's a big deal though. Also, the lead is only slightly panned left as far as I can hear. It's definitely not hard left.

Guitar doubling is a very common technique among guitarists for getting a wider sound. The usage here was a bit unconventional because usually the doubled track is played nearly exactly the same, whereas here, the tracks were somewhat different. I don't think it's a big deal though. Also, the lead is only slightly panned left as far as I can hear. It's definitely not hard left.

I think the strongest point of this track (and the reason why I'm rockin out to it so much) is the fact that the doubled tracks are not identical. You know that urge you get when you listen to a song in your head to improvise other directions it could take -- Darangen is doing it for us, and I love it.

One of the coolest people I met at MAGFest and an ever growing presense on my playlist, Darangen never ceases to amaze. Keep it up, bro. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm rockin' out here!

Firstly, I dig the doublin.' A lot of great metal and rock bands do this and it's pulled of pretty well in this arrangement. I've heard some gothic/industrial bands who's guitar uses entirely different effects in each channel - I like this.

Secondly, it reminds me of the Black Mage style; thunderous wails backed by tinny synths. Points! It's rock, man, pure rock. Not the effed-up versions usually assaulting our radios.

Thirdly, it's got the game-groove.

• 1 month later...

Darangen's been a pretty consistent contributer to OCR lately and Metastatic Bloodline (nice title) is my favourite of his recent works.

I like the rock/synth style of this track with the doubling guitars, as meccaneer pointed out, reminiscent of the Black Mages style. The light intro works well to contrast the kick-in at 0:17 and I was really impressed with the excellent lead guitar work.

I love the music from Lufia games and this mix improves an already great original, rocking.

• 5 months later...

Yes friggin Lufia, I've been listening to this song for awhile now and I always keep on coming back to it.

My favorite part is def the intro. Great choice on the source tunes, lufia has some incredible music. I really like all the variation in guitars and everything Darangen did with them. Gives the mix a very original feel.

• 1 year later...

Great source + great rhythm guitar ideas + pedestrian drums = more than good enough for me. :-)

The sources are excellent, Lufia music is some of my favorites, and it seems to have a pretty strong cult following, with pretty good reason. It's a not-so-played game with very catchy music. Darangen does it pretty well with this rockin mix, where the main focal point is the dual rhythm guitars. The way it's set up is pretty good, with one riffing while the other hangs back and supports with some chords. With the panning choices, it's all pretty clear what's happening where, and i'd say the choices made were pretty sound.

The drums are super basic, but with all the guitar chugging, there honestly isnt that much room for a busy drum part. They are mixed up a bit near the end to swing a bit, but otherwise they are an exercise in "expendable band member".

The synths sound cool, and the production is nice. If you like Lufia you've already grabbed this years ago, but if you have never played, give it a shot regardless, you'll like it.

• 5 months later...

I really dug this song with the guitar intro and slight, but unique, variations throughout the song. The song feels original and saves me from my biggest gripe about other mixes- looping the real song three times then just adding a bit of your own style. I was afraid that the guitar would go away, but this piece kept rockin' the whole way through.

Great mix Darangen! :mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

Very cool synth intro. Really captures the Lufia mood/tone. Darangen is really hitting the metal aspect in this mix harder than in some of his other mixes. I enjoy the mix between the synth lead and guitar rock. The guitars still feel slightly thin for metal, but it's not a big thing. I do agree with Andy, the lead guitar is panned slightly to the left. Sounds a little out of balance, but not terribly distracting. The constant shift in drive (especially the drums) is classic Darangen and he continues that ritual here. And hey, a track without a fade out, love it :). Good job on the whole mate. Get some more stuff in here!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01468 - Lufia & The Fortress of Doom "Metastatic Bloodline"