OCR01469 - EarthBound "See Sixty Funk"

djpretzel

My first reaction to this was to scream in pain and fear. Then I realized I had my speakers turned way too loud. After turning them down, I was able to relax into properly listening to this piece.

And you know what? It's not my thing. I can't really comment fairly on this piece, because while I can tell that it is a solid mix, I just can't stand listen to it. Which is okay. Mazedude does not make music for Zipp. Though I really like his incredible Chrono Trigger Zeal mix and some of the songs off the American Album (that was Mazedude, right?) most notably K-Pax for Evermore.

I think peoples expectations are far to high these days. This is a video game remix, and video game sounds are relevant. Not only that, but the sheer nature of the game Earthbound makes me believe he meant for it to be this way, and that's a-okay with me. The music in Earthbound is made up of highly eradic tunes. It's arranged well, and it's a great tribute to the game Earthbound.

I think peoples expectations are far to high these days. This is a video game remix, and video game sounds are relevant. Not only that, but the sheer nature of the game Earthbound makes me believe he meant for it to be this way, and that's a-okay with me. The music in Earthbound is made up of highly eradic tunes. It's arranged well, and it's a great tribute to the game Earthbound.

It's not a matter of expectations. It's simply a matter of taste and opinion. This is a certain style that I'm just not down with. If I were a judge, I wouldn't vote against it, as I can recognize that it is not a bad song, but I haven't downloaded it onto my itunes either.

It's not a matter of expectations. It's simply a matter of taste and opinion. This is a certain style that I'm just not down with. If I were a judge, I wouldn't vote against it, as I can recognize that it is not a bad song, but I haven't downloaded it onto my itunes either.

Alright, fair enough. This is true, it'd be criminal of me to try and change someone's opinion, because if you genuinely cannot listen to something, then someone can't throw points at you as to why you should listen to it, because that's - yeah. However, I got the impression that alot of people wouldn't vote to have it on the site, and that'd be unfair. Thasall. x]

The controversy stems largely from the fact that OCR's existence is not a result of OCR's purpose.

The site's mission is pointing in the direction of mainstream - who else is it trying to prove itself to? While many of the people who carry out that mission are here because of a musical enjoyment that is very much not mainstream. Icecap isn't a popular pick because of its production potential.

As for the mix, it doesn't strike me either way. The problem is, I can't judge this objectively. I know its trying to be an Earthbound mix and that the remixer is expressing something in that context. I also know that I don't hear anything in it that sounds like its been done badly, so I imagine that this must be pretty cool to those that understand and enjoyed the original tune. I am happy to see that it was accepted.

I can understand OCR trying to keep the standards of production that it does, but I think its important to tell the difference between deliberate low level production, and low level skill. Rejecting something regardless of its merit to those that understand it, and regardless of the skill the remixer exercised in creating it, and simply because of the angle he or she took in producing it... is stifling. It would be limiting creativity.

If that is in line with the site's mission, then fair enough.

I friggin love this remix.

And here's my opinion of chiptuning: they are absolutely valid as remixes. That is, of course, assuming that the instrumental 'quality' has decreased substantially (chiptunes remixed as other chiptunes = less cool). Why are they valid? Because chiptunes have the incredible potential to sound really bad. This remixes doesn't; it sounds great. I gave it a 5 at Ormgas. And, Mazedude, if you're reading, you should consider getting this on the Kohina Stream for real.

I never usually like remixes that are from a game I haven't played. I usually like to hear the original, or try to remember hearing it, that way the remix has more 'sentimental' value.

THIS is an exception.

Though I'm a huge old-school nintendo fan, I STILL haven't played through Earthbound successfully.

I LOVE the sound, beat, and everything, even though its original tune I wouldn't recognize. Bravo!

9/10!

Just randomly I downloaded this remix and I IMMEDIATELY loved it. The C-64 feel really takes me back to when I played C-64 games. (I was 5 years old, but MAN I have good memories of those games).

Took me a bit to place the song, but once I did, it made perfect sense. Keep up the great work, this song rules. *Puts it on stereo and hits repeat*

I have been enjoying listening to Overclocked remixes for a long time, checking for new ones regularly though never contributing concretely in a way or another.

I've registered for the sole purpose of letting a message about that "controversy" : personnaly, I enjoyed that last remix from Mazedude, as I prefer any mix with genuine and/or enhanced chiptune sounds than any mix like "techno-dance crap that does nothing but repetitive boom boom sounds all along". I didn't find it "SUPER GREAT!!!", but I did find it interesting, and it seems to me there was some good work done on that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I put all of Bound Together on my shitty MP3 player, and for whatever reason, it decided to omit the last character from the title and the artist. This song came out as "See Sixty Fun" by "Mazedud". Heh.

Anyways, Mazedude is awesome. This mix is awesome. Anyone who downloads it is awesome. Anyone who listens to it, even if they don't like it, automatically become awesome.

• 2 years later...

Hooray for shower epiphanies! Passed by a shampooed hair's breadth.

Per the title (clever!), this is very much chiptune-ish; but more than anything it's Mazedude-ish. If you don't like the screaming synths he employs in many of his remixes, then I venture you're not going to like this either. But if you're like me and you dig that sound, you'll probably dig this as well. That is to say: this remix isn't so much about the chiptune aesthetic as it is the processing. Which is also to say: Mazedude takes the chip and makes it his bitch.

There are a small handful of mixes that, at some point while listening, I instinctively have to crank up the volume. This is one of them. 0:20. Hard intro, slow buildup, then explosion. Hell. Yes. Fistpumping for several measures. And then 2:10 = fullblown headbanging or shadowboxing time... as you will. That's not to say I don't, or can't, appreciate the entire thing - I groove to the entire piece and do so syncopatedly during the breakdowns - but I love me some energy.

You'll hear the source, if you're familiar with it, but what's been done here will blow you away. There's the glorious wickedization that's been done stylistically, though that's just scratching the surface. For instance: the held notes in the melody are now manually pitch-oscillated instead of set to a constant sine wave. That might just sound like spice, but these alterations end up becoming more new notes than mere tremolo, effectively expanding on the melody for a good half of the measures that were simply 'dead' in the source. Also, the breakdown at 1:27 uses the source's bass line as melody, slowly drowns it layer upon layer of texture, and sneaks it back to the chip playing bass line... which then acts as the melody, carrying the piece for several measures. Sure, when a source focuses this much on the bass line it's begging to have it highlighted in a remix, but going for the complete switchup - and then crafting it in with the mix so it builds tension, and then volume, for the climax - is taking a good pitch and knocking it to next Tuesday.

Hey, if it ain't your thing then it ain't your thing. But for what it does - and for what some of us drool at it for doing - this is one sick remix.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is obviously Mazedude stuff here :). Quirky synths, distortion, some dissonance and lots of pitch wheel. Can't say I dig this type of music much personally, but I think there are those who do. Listening to some of his other stuff (some of which I REALLY like), I can't help feeling that this isn't quite up to their level, personal preference aside.

• 4 months later...

Clever title. :-)

I almost wish this track took a cue from machinae supremacy and mixed in some metal with the synths- it'd sound really incredible I think, with this type of arrangement.

Still pretty some good listening to be had. It maintains it's pace pretty well, and there aren't any massive surprises, but I definitely enjoyed it. :-)

• 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01469 - EarthBound "See Sixty Funk"