OCRA-0045 - Sonic CD: Temporal Duality

SuperiorX

There was a surprisingly balanced interest. I know I personally had a bias for the US soundtrack, since it was the one I grew up on...

Yea I had/have a huge bias for the NA version too. I remember when I finally heard the Japanese tracks for the game years ago when youtube started to get more developed and I thought "oh, that's what that sounds like?" The funny thing is I prefer the Japanese versions to just about everything. I have only two works that I prefer the English/NA version which is Sonic CD and Dominion Tank Police. :)

Love the album! I'm going to be blasting it the whole day.

Alright, if you missed the show yesterday (and no doubt some of you did :<), it's all here!

As well as playing through the album, let me sum up some of the most ridiculous things that happened there:

* I fail to pronounce "Schizophrenic" right, to hilarious results.

* When "Chips Out of Water" was being played, IRC members keep picking out instruments that weren't even there.

* SAY YEEEEAH UH HUUUUH (you know what that refers to)

* The Meme Bean Machine strikes again during "Time Traveller's Delight".

* I butcher the raw Japanese text for the easter egg when going over the inspiration for "Yours Truly, Satan".

* Nyan Cat made an appearance near the end to fit with the 'sugar and rainbows' feel of "The Future is Bright".

* And every time I tried to imitate a sound effect (e.g. the high pass filter boost in the Modern Sonic titles) or tried to sing a song relevant to the situation (e.g. a hint of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" when going over "Forever in Your Mind"), the guys wanted to add the clip to a potential "Rexy Vocal SFX Mix" that they want to do. Oh god lol...

Anyway, there you be! Grab at your own leisure :)

Oh god DusK, you've pulled it off xD

While we're still on that SMD tangent, the past few episodes of the show had been looking for listener responses to an ongoing series of polls to help build up the Season Finale next week, as stated in the podcast. November's - the last one - just got unleashed at the end of the show.

Those that enjoyed the album can state their personal favorites in there, as well as state how they felt over 10 other new releases that happened in the past few weeks. I suggest you give them ALL a chance and be as unbiased as possible.

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok brace yourself, a quick word from Mr. Nilsen himself via FB. I contacted him a little while ago to let him know about the album, not expecting any kind of response. Instead I get this:

Hey Joel-

Thank you so much for your touching note and my sincere apologies for the delayed reply. I JUST noticed that I had unread messages waiting.

I was not aware of the 20th anniversary tribute remixes and I can't wait to hear all of the fantastic reworkings of those original tracks. It's an honor and I'm totally humbled by the gesture. Game music fans are THE BEST!

My daughter lived and worked in Brisbane for a year in 2011 and it was one of the greatest experiences of her life. Now, I'm the only one in the family who hasn't been to Australia. If...no...WHEN I finally make it down under you'll have to show me around.

All the very best to you and your wife and I hope to hear from you again sometime.

CHeers.

Spence

**Falls off chair.**

• 2 weeks later...

Does Corruption [Metallic Madness US] make anyone else think of an awesome 80's B movie soundtrack? Every time it comes up (which is frequently) I think of They Live or Escape from New York. I love it! That intro with the fat bass is what gets me in a great listening mood every time. It also has a few parts (near the 3:00 area) that has some sounds similar to one, or both, of the Doom CD's OCR put out years ago. Especially around 3:24.

Does Corruption [Metallic Madness US] make anyone else think of an awesome 80's B movie soundtrack? Every time it comes up (which is frequently) I think of They Live or Escape from New York. I love it! That intro with the fat bass is what gets me in a great listening mood every time. It also has a few parts (near the 3:00 area) that has some sounds similar to one, or both, of the Doom CD's OCR put out years ago. Especially around 3:24.

Thanks dude. I really enjoyed putting that track together. <3

Especially since I was really going for a Nine Inch Nails "Closer" sort of vibe. :)

• 1 month later...

Ooooooooh, cool! DusK noticed this Sonic Retro thread. :-)

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=32095

Started out sweet: "hey, nice rap track, looking forward to the album", which turned into polarizing opinions due to personal tastes, and then a shitfest on the community and music.

I did get a kick out of it though; the usual complaint tropes:

* presence of rapping/lyrics = ugh

* people can't sing

* mostly generic electronica/little genre variation

* mostly FL/Garageband presets

* don't recognize the originals

* too MUCH like the originals

* community too insular/circlejerky

* judges are biased

* nothing but JRPG love

I also got a kick out of G-Mixer thinking "lol hope no one sees" with his negative comments like he'd be excommunicated from the church, as if everyone who's ever participated has to love everything the entire community does in lockstep. :tomatoface: If you don't like DiGi Valentine or ladyWildfire, fight it out. At least he squashed the whole "they just use presets" hyperbole from some ignorant person.

I did learn some new tropes though, i.e. if any OCR project is good or has variety, it's because it has good "outsiders" who aren't "from OCR", so if you're an OCR regular, you're bad at music, everything is homogenized, but if you're an outsider, then you have the chance to rise above the mediocrity. :-)

Also, Howard Drossin slapped us down or something. Even though when we met him, he was cool and supportive. Never heard any issue about him re: "Lover Reef", so that was new. But if anything, it just sounds like a case where the mixers showed him the track and he clarified he didn't actually compose "Lava Reef" though people believe he did because of the S3&K composer credits debacle. But hey, maybe they have some transcript of Howard saying "they showed me some stuff, and it was soooooo bad, they stink!"

Also, Danny Baranowsky's "Knuckleduster" is both amazing and horrible, depending on the POV. Imagine that, polarizing opinions on a creative arrangement due to personal tastes. :lol:

"A community always need fresh blood so things don't get stagnant and end being one huge circlejerk. It seems OCR is the victim of that."

Been here 12 years, and it's definitely just the same people around here, no new blood: djp, me, Vig, DarkeSword on staff and I swear the rest of these people are all Dale North, Ailsean, AmIEviL, Mustin and McVaffe.

See, that thread is a CLEAR example of why people need to stay the HELL away from Sonic Retro. I've been closer-knit with the Sonic community since the SZRC2012, and from all interactions I've come to see Retro as one of the most close-minded clusterfucks (can't think of a nicer word, sorry) of a community that we'd ever see.

I seriously didn't want to read that thread all the way through - it's all the most negative feelings I was anticipating with the album all bottled up into one. "This album isn't as good as Project Chaos..." "All the good tracks are made by outside people (Bev's note: not true, Hedgehog Heaven springs to mind)..." "People at OCR need to stop using shitty defaults..."

I get the goddamn picture - what we did was an absolutely FANTASTIC remix album with a load of killer tracks and representing one of the Sega CD's finest titles. Were we ever thinking, in the first place, that we were going to cater it to a bunch of devilspawn that hates the idea of their childhood spoiled??

Yeah. This may end up being my most aggressive post regarding this, but if you're ever going to think of reading that Sonic Retro thread, for god's sake, don't. Everything about that site's community and their opinions is completely INVALID.

Now let's all move on and calm down and think of something happy. Like kittens:

kitten-bouquet-big.jpg

Yeah. This may end up being my most aggressive post regarding this, but if you're ever going to think of reading that Sonic Retro thread, for god's sake, don't. Everything about that site's community and their opinions is completely INVALID.

I read it. :( Many of them happen to be taken over by their opinions. They can have their opinions, but generalizing about OCR and pretending their opinions are fact... not cool. There comes a point when opinions are just opinions.

See, that thread is a CLEAR example of why people need to stay the HELL away from Sonic Retro. I've been closer-knit with the Sonic community since the SZRC2012, and from all interactions I've come to see Retro as one of the most close-minded clusterfucks (can't think of a nicer word, sorry) of a community that we'd ever see.

I seriously didn't want to read that thread all the way through - it's all the most negative feelings I was anticipating with the album all bottled up into one. "This album isn't as good as Project Chaos..." "All the good tracks are made by outside people (Bev's note: not true, Hedgehog Heaven springs to mind)..." "People at OCR need to stop using shitty defaults..."

I get the goddamn picture - what we did was an absolutely FANTASTIC remix album with a load of killer tracks and representing one of the Sega CD's finest titles. Were we ever thinking, in the first place, that we were going to cater it to a bunch of devilspawn that hates the idea of their childhood spoiled??

I would just say don't generalize their community either. :lol: