OCRA-0045 - Sonic CD: Temporal Duality

SuperiorX

They can say whatever they want. It doesn't matter, and it's their loss. Even so much as pointing out their poopbutted opinion is giving far too much respect to what they have to say, or what they think. But the more awful thing is people from the album going to the site to badmouth other people from the album, the album, or OCR itself. (G-Mixer). That behavior is completely unacceptable, and I'll be the first director to toss down a gauntlet saying that is not acceptable on any project I'll run. I don't keep a huge list of people who are banneded from participating in albums, but for things like this, I remember, and I'd encourage other directors to do the same.

As for the thread, I came out unscathed, actually there was a compliment to Bottled Choir :lol: A remix that wildfire sang on, was complimented. They could have insulted my song in every post on that forum and I wouldn't care, I learned a LONG TIME AGO to not care about the opinions of Sonic fans. Maybe if it was a different community it'd be a different story.

I would just say don't generalize their community either. :lol:

I'm not generalising it - I'm going purely by my own experiences within the community. Sonic Retro has done more than just attack OC Remix - in fact, they have a tendancy to attack other Sega related communities as well, which also extends to meeting other site admins / forum goers in the flesh.

Now, I can understand they're great at dissecting the games' codes and either finding secrets or creating wild hacks out of them, but as people I just think it's best we'd leave them way alone in their purist bubble.

You told me in the past that with the album's release, we should be focusing more on the positive feedback. Let's leave that in the dirt and instead re-read DJ EAR's awesome review work five times more. :)

Eh, I really wanted to drop 2 cents in that thread, but I'd rather not be accused of resurrecting anything.

I just think it's kind of interesting that people get mad when an OC ReMix isn't somehow the greatest song of all time. Like, how could that happen.

Is that good, or bad?

And the whole circle jerk thing: Who do I need to talk to about that? I'm a couple remixes in and I still haven't received my hand job...

Joking aside, that's literally the absence of objective thinking. The overall quality of the music dropping for any given individual would be a direct result of the talent pool widening, not the opposite.

Eh, such is the internet.

Joking aside, that's literally the absence of objective thinking. The overall quality of the music dropping for any given individual would be a direct result of the talent pool widening, not the opposite.
Well said, sir.

Oh wait, shit, no! That must mean i'll be accused of circle jerking now because i just happen to agree with a very valid and constructed point you've made. Quick, pass the tissues! D:

Ahh I knew I forgot something while I was over here stagnating. :tomatoface:
You're making me say things i didn't say! T_T

I already had this conversation on DusK's Facebook post but I didn't know it had carried over here too...

But basically, whatever, I wouldn't let what is being said over there ruin anyone's day. People will always find something to complain about no matter what. Those kind of people aren't worth my time and I won't concern myself with them. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you don't need to be a jerk about it and put others down; that's never cool. What I especially don't appreciate though is someone on the album feeling the need to put others down. Get over your ego and realize you don't know EVERYTHING. None of us do, there is always room to learn and grow: as a musician and a person. To an extent though I'm disappointed we're even having this discussion, because it's just giving attention to those people that seek it. We're better than that.

Everyone who worked with me on the project should know how much I appreciated everyone's hard work. I like to think we had a really special and tight-knit group of people that really strived to make one another better and to create the best damn tribute album. I also think we accomplished that. I won't lose any sleep over this cause for every negative comment in that thread, I've seen 10x as many extremely positive and gracious ones. Stay humble and classy, my friends.

The most hilarious part is that I'm pretty sure none of them can do music half good as what OCR delivers every day.

Nah, the most hilarious part is when they accused you of having an overdone, stereotypical French "accent". Hmm... maybe because you are French? :razz:

That and the fact that nearly half this album roster was made up of relative "OCR newcomers" or people from outside OCR, so that argument holds no weight.

Nah, the most hilarious part is when they accused you of having an overdone, stereotypical French "accent". Hmm... maybe because you are French? :razz:

Yes, I read that after posting, and it was the best part of their discussion. :lol:(WEURK DAT SEUCKEUR TWO DEAF, COMME ON NAO, WEURK ZAT SUCKEUR TWO DEEAAAF!!)

Considering "Black Metal" was more of a "joke" track than anything, I really don't care what people think about it. In general, my tracks were not recieved that well, but that's what I was expecting from a "joke"/extreme remix (and considering not a lot of people appreciated extreme metal), and from the other one I made in 2 hours.

But the more awful thing is people from the album going to the site to badmouth other people from the album, the album, or OCR itself. (G-Mixer). That behavior is completely unacceptable, and I'll be the first director to toss down a gauntlet saying that is not acceptable on any project I'll run. I don't keep a huge list of people who are banneded from participating in albums, but for things like this, I remember, and I'd encourage other directors to do the same.

I certainly can't tell you or anyone else what to think, but if shunning people who talk shit about other people on an album or the site in general were an actual thing here, we'd never have SnappleMan on an album. Ever. :lol: And we'd never have several others who (back in the day) would complain that what was posted to OCR was comparative trash to their (rejected) subs.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree there's some level of disrespect in the WAY the opinion's expressed, co-signing with someone saying XYZ shouldn't ever sing, but G-Mixer can have that opinion. Not every mixer is going to appreciate every other mixer, that's just not possible.

I suppose the takeaway for others is shut the fuck up. :lol: Voicing your dislike of other artists won't get you banned from OCR, but it'll piss off some album directors who think you're a hater.

EDIT:

You told me in the past that with the album's release, we should be focusing more on the positive feedback. Let's leave that in the dirt and instead re-read DJ EAR's awesome review work five times more. :)

"Fuck" is used 40 times. Tons of the comments are shitting on something with unconstructive comments. Not a paragon of virtue re: awesome reviews. :lol: It's one thing to dislike a piece of music, but it's another to be a douche with the criticism, which kind of goes back to people being mad at G-Mixer. If the panel gave feedback like this in this day and age, we'd (rightly) be criticized.

Edited by Liontamer

I guess my whole issue with the debacle isn't that there are people who don't enjoy other remixers' work, it's that this site (at least for me) has a reputation of offering constructive criticism for everything. Just saying that you don't like that X was posted without really giving any useful feedback for the remixer is frustrating. That sense of openness and support is one of the reasons I've stayed with the OCR community for so long, and it's kinda lame when people in the community hate on others.

Dissing other artists involved in an album just displays a lack of respect for the album, the music, artists, pretty much the whole site... it tarnishes the experience of collaboration, at least in my opinion. I know I won't agree with EVERYONE's opinion and I know people won't like some songs on an album that they contribute to, but it's a sign of good character to not sling mud at the other artists. It boggles my mind that someone could do that. And my rejected submissions from 2010 were diamonds compared to that trash you posted Larry :lol: :lol: <3

I wanna do another collab with Beth now and get Digi in on it!

If I don't like a remix I just don't say anything. Negativity accomplishes nothing, unless someone specifically asks me for constructive criticism.

Yeah. I've submitted my fair share of bad music/weak attempts and it's much more useful to hear how to fix it rather than "it's awful" because either that's just an, or there's no actual way to improve on it.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree there's some level of disrespect in the WAY the opinion's expressed, co-signing with someone saying XYZ shouldn't ever sing, but G-Mixer can have that opinion. Not every mixer is going to appreciate every other mixer, that's just not possible.

It's never possible to please everybody so naturally when you've created something that gets a bit of attention and goes widespread you're going to catch a hater or two. Honestly, i'm used to that, that's not the problem and is expected of the music we create as individuals.

What concerns me is G-Mixer's rather destructive approach to disliking something. He was part of the Sonic CD project and is a very active member in this community, popping up in topics all over the forums here and making connections/friendships with a lot of us (me included). Instead of telling us directly what his opinions of us were/are he decided to go to another forum to talk shit about us there and then act like some cartoon villain in that thread, talking about "If they catch me LOLing this statement I'm going to get in some serious trouble - G-Mixer (Garrett Williamson)" :D

Really though, exactly what kind of bullshit is that? That's some school playground shit. That's going to put you in a bad light with a lot of people. I'm wondering if dude was just begging for drama or something. It seemed so out of left field, i'm not even sure how else to describe it. Just ...bizarre.

But, eh nevermind. Everyone's entitled their own opinions, i have mine now too. It's done. Over.

I wanna do another collab with Beth now and get Digi in on it!
Yes sir!!! Let's see how many people we can piss off! Apparently, i can't rap so our collaboration is fucked right out the gates! :-D

"Fuck" is used 40 times. Tons of the comments are shitting on something with unconstructive comments. Not a paragon of virtue re: awesome reviews. :lol: It's one thing to dislike a piece of music, but it's another to be a douche with the criticism, which kind of goes back to people being mad at G-Mixer. If the panel gave feedback like this in this day and age, we'd (rightly) be criticized.

That's the point about being 'blunt'. Sometimes you have to be to express an opinion. And I've been around DJ EAR a bunch of times as well and he has shown enough hands-on experience to back up his blunt criticisms.

But it's not like anyone's gonna care about that anyway. Sonic Retro makes me sad enough for them tearing down everything that made me feel content. Twice now in this thread I've tried to link to something more positive and get derailed.

The more this keeps going on, the more I feel like keeping on asking the age-old question of "why the hell do people love Project Chaos so much" - truth be told, my stuff on there is heavily outdated in comparison to what I'm doing now. I swear I'm fed up of hearing "hey, your 'Beneath the Ashes' or 'Divided from Grace' is incredible" when I really want it to be stated in reference to something more recent!

Yeah... I can't think of anything positive to derail this conversation. Someone needs to help out, for the sake of the forum's mental health.

If I don't like a remix I just don't say anything. Negativity accomplishes nothing, unless someone specifically asks me for constructive criticism.

I'd just say the nice thing I think of and say downplayed nitpicks (I've been doing that since the new year started). Let's both do it. If we have something nice to say, why not say it? =D

Edited by timaeus222

I don't really know anything about all the hating that's come up, and I'm fine keeping it that way, but I do want to say that while Temporal Duality is not my favorite OCR album, it is still a damn fine album. And it took like 10 months to a year to put together and release? I've followed OCR long enough to know that isn't common for an album this size. This album was an accomplishment and a pleasure to listen to, and while I tend to say this a lot around here, I am looking forward to hearing what everyone on this album does next.