World 8-8 : A Remix Of The Airship Theme

oMarko

Last time I visited OCremix.org was probably 10 or 12 years ago. I think its awesome that it still is evolving.A few weeks back I came across remixes of dkc2, an album actually, named Serious Monkey Business. Great work imo. So yeah, its what brought me back here haha. Anyway Ive been working on that remix for a while and I would like to know your opinion about whats working and what should be done differently. In other word, some constructive criticism that would allow to improve my skills and the song.

https://soundcloud.com/omarko-2/world-8-8

I dont know if this is good enough to be on OCremix. It is a WIP of the Airship theme found in Super Mario Bros 3 created by Koji Kondo on the NES with a taste of hiphop/house mixed in a badass/imminent final battle ambience. Also, if there is anyone out there who would be inspired to write some rap/singing lyrics just let me know.Like most songs I created (as a hobby most of the time) I structure it so vocals could fit on it. At the moment, it is built that way :

Intro - verse - chorus - bridge - verse - chorus - drop - teknotime - chorus.

Oh and sorry for the spelling mistakes, I do my best and hope it is still comprehensible ! :razz:

I like the take you tried. It's still a little bit too much liberal.

And place les 1:07 are a little bit sparse since there is no major part from 0:00 to 1:07 and 1:07 is dry .

I would have more of the 2:07 to 2:20. Well placed in the song and this part could be integrated to others since it's the most recognizable part.

Otherwise good stuff and style. ;)

Welcome back to OCR! Thanks for sharing this WIP, it's got a lot of potential! Seems like you've got a lot of ideas and ambition for this track. I love the changeup at 2:20 - if you didn't get a vocalist, you should just have this section come in about a minute earlier and then extend it.

Rockos might be right about this being too liberal at the moment, but it's a great start.

Thanks for the input!

Too liberal means its too far from the source song I guess ? The song should be more recognizable ?

You're both right I think. If I dont find a vocalist I should reduce the lenght of the flatter part of the song and compose more melodies/ use more instruments where it is dry.

Also, ive been looking at some tutorials and I noticed Im not mixing/mastering the right way. Ill pratice with that and see what it sounds like. Thing is I dont have good enough headphones to ear the subtleties. (any idea to what brand I should look for, quality/price like?

Not sure if you're into the style, but Growl/Scream vocals might sound pretty cool in one or two areas of the song!

Aside from that, I agree that it's very liberal, and if I didn't know what it was a remix of, most likely wouldn't recognize the source in there. I love the trap/hip-hop style, really cool direction, can't wait to hear it more expanded upon!

I think the house section near the end needs a high-end on the kick, personally. It's still using the 808's from the start and it could have a better punch if there was a bit of a thud in the higher registers :)

Thanks for the input!

Too liberal means its too far from the source song I guess ? The song should be more recognizable ?

You're both right I think. If I dont find a vocalist I should reduce the lenght of the flatter part of the song and compose more melodies/ use more instruments where it is dry.

Also, ive been looking at some tutorials and I noticed Im not mixing/mastering the right way. Ill pratice with that and see what it sounds like. Thing is I dont have good enough headphones to ear the subtleties. (any idea to what brand I should look for, quality/price like?

I heard the AKG K240 are great, while I'd recommend the Grado SR-60i. The AKGs are normally $160 and are on sale now for $88. The Grados are $80. I don't know what the AKGs sound like, but the Grados have crisp bass and clear treble. Personally, I feel like the Grados are more balanced once I look at the frequency range comparison (8dB is a lot, 4dB isn't too bad of an overboost). You may want to also get a headphone amp to widen the frequency range of your headphones (last I heard, frequency adjustment knobs on headphone amps adjust the threshold of the frequencies outputted to your headphones, which should give an honest result for you to hear).

http://musicgearforall.com/

=393&graphID[]=2611&scale=30"]Frequency Range Comparison

Edited by timaeus222

Not sure if you're into the style, but Growl/Scream vocals might sound pretty cool in one or two areas of the song!

Aside from that, I agree that it's very liberal, and if I didn't know what it was a remix of, most likely wouldn't recognize the source in there. I love the trap/hip-hop style, really cool direction, can't wait to hear it more expanded upon!

I think the house section near the end needs a high-end on the kick, personally. It's still using the 808's from the start and it could have a better punch if there was a bit of a thud in the higher registers :)

Growl/scream in a bowser way could really add a more violent taste to the mix haha but im more of a melodic kind of guy (I love how linkin park use a mix between scream and singing, I digest less Lamb Of God abuse of it for exemple).

You're right, I think I used the same kick sample for the whole song added with the vst "Massive" for notes at the sub level. Ill rework the house part with that in mind. Thanks!

I heard the AKG K240 are great, while I'd recommend the Grado SR-60i. The AKGs are normally $160 and are on sale now for $88. The Grados are $80. I don't know what the AKGs sound like, but the Grados have crisp bass and clear treble. Personally, I feel like the Grados are more balanced once I look at the frequency range comparison (8dB is a lot, 4dB isn't too bad of an overboost). You may want to also get a headphone amp to widen the frequency range of your headphones (last I heard, frequency adjustment knobs on headphone amps adjust the threshold of the frequencies outputted to your headphones, which should give an honest result for you to hear).

http://musicgearforall.com/

=393&graphID[]=2611&scale=30"]Frequency Range Comparison

Wow thanks for the infos, and the graph. It is less expensive than I thought. I sure would love to use studio speakers but I don't think the people who live in the same apartment block as I would like to hear the same song, over, and over, and over... :razz:Once I have time ill try to separate each instrument frequency wise so that the song wont sound like the big soup it kinda does.