Opinion on Downloading Game Music Rips after Buying Game

darkbrandflake11

The entire game music rip area is full of gray. I look at it in the following perspective:

If a game has an officially release music package, you should buy it instead of getting a rip. (Example: Bastion)

If an official release doesn't have a particular song you want from the game, get the release and then a rip of just that song. (Example: Final Fantasy Tactics)

If a music package doesn't exist and a music rip does exist, get the rip. (Example: Smart Ball)

If a music package doesn't exist AND there's no rip, rip it yourself (Example: House of the Dead: Overkill).

Owning the game and then getting the music from it was how a lot of us got our start listening to VGM. Just taking the tape recorder to the tv output. However, if you can actually buy the music and support the musicians responsible for it, you should definitely do that.

Something I've always wondered about, especially with older games, is buying a soundtrack online from a retailer supporting the original creator of the music? Most older games are hard to find soundtracks for and buying a soundtrack online, which usually is used, might just support a person re-selling the soundtrack and not the original creator.

Something I've always wondered about, especially with older games, is buying a soundtrack online from a retailer supporting the original creator of the music? Most older games are hard to find soundtracks for and buying a soundtrack online, which usually is used, might just support a person re-selling the soundtrack and not the original creator.

Buying new will support the original artist in some capacity most of the time, but buying used will not.

The entire game music rip area is full of gray. I look at it in the following perspective:

If a game has an officially release music package, you should buy it instead of getting a rip. (Example: Bastion)

If an official release doesn't have a particular song you want from the game, get the release and then a rip of just that song. (Example: Final Fantasy Tactics)

If a music package doesn't exist and a music rip does exist, get the rip. (Example: Smart Ball)

If a music package doesn't exist AND there's no rip, rip it yourself (Example: House of the Dead: Overkill).

Owning the game and then getting the music from it was how a lot of us got our start listening to VGM. Just taking the tape recorder to the tv output. However, if you can actually buy the music and support the musicians responsible for it, you should definitely do that.

^this

a few of my friends have been like "is that illegal?" but video game music for free can be a much different monster than pop music.

Not to mention that a lot of the CDs you get online aren't original CDs; they're bootlegs. Sometimes, they're well-made bootlegs, but they are still bootlegs.

It's better that the artist gets no money then the bootleggers getting any of it. Worse case scenario, I'd send five bucks to the artist in the mail.