Round five: Super Mario 64: Koopa Theme

4948-krmenlljej%5B1%5D.jpg

Midi

Starts: 03/12/2013

Ends: Friday 13/12/2013 @ 2PM

Vote Stage: 14 to 16/12/2013

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Slight alterations of the source are encouraged, but not required.

2. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

3. Stay relatively close to the source's mood and notation. Refer to the example tracks for reference.

4. Any genre is acceptable, so long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and a good chunk of the notation.

5. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

**I will state the voting rules at the voting stage, so as to keep the rule list here as small as possible. I'll also relax the rules on qualative statements about your own works, because frankly, it seems impossible to prevent it from happening anyways, but I would humbly suggest that you try to exercize some discretion about said comments on yours or other people's tracks.**

Example Tracks:

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and

MnP

Edited by HoboKa

Yeah I've picked through his site for a bit. The drum kit soundfonts don't seem to have enough "oomph" that I'm looking for. I've been looking at http://soundfonts.homemusician.net/ for some alternatives. (edit: found one!)

heh, I might have a scrounge too - kinda like a hobo going through the garbage bin, looking for freebies :3

Also, this place rocks too - better yet, it has VSTs :D

http://www.dskmusic.com/

(edit: as expected, the instruments aren't overly robust, but I found a few gems here nonetheless.

Edited by HoboKa

I'm trying to scrounge up all the free tools I can to take a shot at this but it's almost like good and free don't go together. :P

i think alot of people overestimate the power of "good plugins". when youre new enough at this, you dont even NEED "good" samples because youll likely not even know how to use them or make them fit well anyways. maybe instead, you could experiment with various free samplers, synths and soundfonts until you find some plugins that you enjoy using. It probably sounds like useless information, but i think its not always about the samples or synths specifically, but just how you use them in a mix. experiment and ask for feedback!

also, this source is bonkers, im having a good time with this.

i think alot of people overestimate the power of "good plugins". when youre new enough at this, you dont even NEED "good" samples because youll likely not even know how to use them or make them fit well anyways. maybe instead, you could experiment with various free samplers, synths and soundfonts until you find some plugins that you enjoy using. It probably sounds like useless information, but i think its not always about the samples or synths specifically, but just how you use them in a mix. experiment and ask for feedback!

also, this source is bonkers, im having a good time with this.

Well, I meant "good" as in the sound I had in my head is already mostly in the soundfont or synth without having to be adjusted. I know that's not a good way to use the word but I lack the knowledge for more accurate terminology :tomatoface:

But yeah, I'm looking forward to getting some (gentle) critical advice on my track. :razz:

Well, I meant "good" as in the sound I had in my head is already mostly in the soundfont or synth without having to be adjusted. I know that's not a good way to use the word but I lack the knowledge for more accurate terminology :tomatoface:

But yeah, I'm looking forward to getting some (gentle) critical advice on my track. :razz:

we're always gentle :) and yes you can edit you submission usually. i think you just have to delete your entry and reupload it.

As for the good sounding samples, The term you are looking for is presets i think. unless you just mean specific samples like a trumpet or flute, and then its just called a sample i think.

I think you either mean a refined EQ in the sound by default, or the sound is easily fitting; well, no sound is more fitting than another. It's really case-by-case. What would be really useful is a hoarde of many sounds that you can pick and choose, or synthesize.

What would be really useful is a hoarde of many sounds that you can pick and choose, or synthesize.
I personally don't need an insane number of presets, I just wish they were organized and described better. Usually all you have to go with is a general category (lead, pad, atmo, arp, bass--and a lot of synths' ideas of "bass" is a lead or arp tuned a couple of octaves down) and a name that might be vaguely descriptive (e.g. "aluminum chickens," "organic galaxy") or not (e.g. "I love this one," "useless"). I either waste way too much time going through them all, or just go with one I used once before, or build something really simple from scratch.

I think you either mean a refined EQ in the sound by default, or the sound is easily fitting; well, no sound is more fitting than another. It's really case-by-case. What would be really useful is a hoarde of many sounds that you can pick and choose, or synthesize.

Preset is pretty close, but also an "easily fitting" sound fits as well. Basically I was thinking of the process of reproducing a sound from my head in the track and finding a sample that matches that sound as closely as possible without having to tweak things in a plugin.

Preset is pretty close, but also an "easily fitting" sound fits as well. Basically I was thinking of the process of reproducing a sound from my head in the track and finding a sample that matches that sound as closely as possible without having to tweak things in a plugin.

Yeah, that's exactly it. The better you can describe the sound you're looking for, the more easily you can find it. Often though, you'll need to tweak the sound more than a few changes here and there. The timbre might be really close, but the number of changes made will vary with the sound. You kind of have to be willing to just go for it and have a clear direction as to how to go about it. :) For example:

"I want a saw wave synth lead sound with heavy delayed vibrato, a little bit of delay/echo, room-ambience reverb, and a long filter envelope that decreases the cutoff frequency from a high value to a low value." (You can do the heavy vibrato by linking an LFO to the pitch and linking the amplitude of the LFO to the modwheel)

Edited by timaeus222

Well, I would have quite liked to have participated here, but I've tried signing up on ThaSauce with two different emails and usernames, and I'm never sent an activation email, so I can never log in.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, but I won't be able to finish in time for the deadline for this particular competition (mainly because I've stopped working on it since I can't log in).