3DS Must Play?

XPRTNovice

Hi guys.

I sprung on a Groupon deal that gave me a 3DS (not XL) for $109 and came with Paper Mario. Hopefully I don't regret not getting the bigger screen.

For a guy that isn't familiar with DS/3DS content at all, what's my "Must Play" list? I'm a fan of Zelda and JRPGs in general and tend to dislike games that don't have a point (Tetris, angry birds, etc) or plot (Final Fantasy XIII).

Even aside from suggesting games for me personally, what's YOUR 3DS must play list?

I got Fire Emblem: Awakening with my 3DS. Never played any of the games in the series before, and I got addicted QUICK. Should also fit your criteria.

I've also played Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure as well - fun rhythm game with an engaging story, if not a little on the short side. I hope to get Pokemon X for Christmas too, and have played a demo of Link Between Worlds at this year's PlayExpo so should work well if you have a kick for Zelda :)

Definitely Get

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Super Mario 3D Land

Possibly Get

Pokemon X/Y (if you like Pokemon)

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Etrian Odyssey IV

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Tales of the Abyss

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

eShop Must Haves

Mutant Mudds

Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2

Gunman Clive (run-and-gun platformer with wonderful aesthetic, has best secret character ever)

HarmoKnight (a fun rhythm-platformer from the folks at GameFreak)

The Denpa Men (1 and 2, though 2 is better and you don't really miss anything if you skip 1 before playing 2 aside from being able to carry your main character and party over)

SteamWorld Dig (Metroidvania + Dig Dug with Mega Man X's wall-kick)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Pushmo/Crashmo

escapeVEKTOR

I've linked reviews of games if I've reviewed them, so read those for a spoiler-free description of them. Also, there's lots of great Virtual Console games that you should look into as well. Hope that helps!

paging ocre to the thread. i repeat, paging ocre to the thread

IMO:

Must have: Pokemon X/Y, Legend of Zelda OoT (have not played LBW yet)

Great: Kid Icarus Uprising, Etrian Odyssey IV

Good: Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Mario Kart 7

Meh: Luigi's Mansion 2 (did not have the magic of the original, and the mission format SUCKS), Tales of the Abyss (okay, but drags on), Super Mario 3D Land (felt like more of the same "new Mario" stuff)

As for DS games, I would highly recommend Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Dragon Quest IX (my favorite DS game), and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (I liked this better than Dream Team).

For regular DS, Dragon Quest XI, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, and Radiant Historia are all pretty solid JRPGs. (Though I've heard Radiant Historia can be hard to find these days) There are a ton of other JRPGs on the original DS that I haven't played but quite the selection is available to you. There's a decent amount on 3DS as well (Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, etc.)

The Professor Layton games are puzzle games, but they are very story driven and exceptionally well-written. There's some on both DS and 3DS.

Phoenix Wright games are in a similar boat, they're extremely linear but the whole point is to experience the very well-written story and characters. Again, there's one on 3DS and a bunch on the original DS. Better to play in chronological order, but not absolutely mandatory.

I agree about Dragon Quest IX. If you like Pokemon and have a history with it, Pokemon X could be good. But you specifically said "MUST Play". There's not a ton of that that I've found so far. Dragon Quest IX is definitely one of them. It's really good. Other stuff is great starting out like Animal Crossing New Leaf, but gets old super fast. All you do is fish to get money to pay off a raccoon then it starts over with an even bigger amount of money you need to pay off. Not much in terms of gameplay really.

If you haven't played them already, you should really consider the Castlevania titles for DS. Order of Ecclesia is amazing, Portrait of Ruin is fun (albeit hard; some bosses are giant pains), and Dawn of Sorrow wasn't as good as I hoped it would be (not a fan of the change in art style between games, too). It's not too bad, though.

Super Mario 3D World gives great value for the money.

Link Between Worlds is better than Link to the Past, which was my previous favourite Zelda game.

Castlevania: Mirror of Fates was good; a bit different from the DS Castlevania games, but I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favourite. Felt to me like it favoured combat over exploration.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is always fun.

Etrian Odyssey IV and Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl are both good. Millennium Girl is probably the gentler introduction to this style of hardcore RPG if you play in story mode.

I haven't been reading the rest of the forum except for the OP (I'm not in trouble for not reading that... right)

but Super Mario 3D Land, A Link Between Worlds, and Mario Kart 7 are the first that come to my head as really amazing games when I think of the 3DS.

also the Fire Emblem game.

yeah I just looked at other replies. everyone's saying the same thing.

trust me, these games are stellar. I don't even own a 3DS but I've definitely gotten my hands on these games and they are sweet, dood.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is one of the greatest game I've played in years. Without spoiling anything, here are seven reasons why I love it:

1. No hours-long tutorials. You get your sword and are in the first dungeon within half an hour. I have a busy life, and I want games like this one that I can easily pick up and play or put down midway.

2. Nonlinear. After the first couple dungeons, you can do the rest in any order you want.

3. Exploration dominates. They don't tell you where to go. You figure it out.

4. Picks at your nostalgia, but cleverly subverts your expectations.

5. Music. It's amazing. And there's a lot of it.

6. Game mechanics. Everything is very tight and it doesn't feel like a moment is wasted. Turning into a painting makes for good puzzles, and 3D isn't lame and gimmicky in this game.

7. Mini-games are optional. I don't care much for mini-games so this is great for me.

I could go on, but it basically takes everything awesome about old Zelda games and makes them better while getting rid of everything I dislike about newer Zelda games.

Edited by Ab56 v2 aka Ash

Are you kidding? Flower Town is crazy. You grow the flowers, you need to grow MORE flowers, in all the colours, and sell them and display them in gardens and holy shit man FLOWERS.

Seriously though it's the most addictive.

I like making the little display garden, but there's really no gameplay in that one >.> It's kind of like a mini-mini-mini-mini... mini Harvest Moon. Which is fine, that part of it is fun.

My immediate recommendations are:

Fire Emblem Awakening

Super Mario 3D Land

Star Fox 64 3D

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds

The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages & Seasons & Link's Awakening DX

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Kid Icarus Uprising

Mario Kart 7

Resident Evil Revelations

Mighty Switch Force

Mighty Switch Force 2

Ace Attorney Dual Destinies

Rune Factory 4

Legend of The River King

Super Mario Land 1, 2, Wario Land 1 - 3

I think I'm going to finish this list now. Y'all get the point...

I'm going to confirm ALBW just so you can play it with high-quality $200 headphones plugged in.

I'm listening to the soundtrack in HQ right now and I'll be honest, I think it may be in my top 3 favorite Zelda soundtracks ever. it's really quite stellar for being a fake orchestra on a Nintendo 3DS game. it's mainly the songwriting. all the new original songs are quite amazing, especially since it's not Koji Kondo that composed them. it's a guy named Ryo Nagamatsu. the guy is like up there with Koji and I never even heard of him before this point.

go buy that game. now. good lord.