OCR00481 - Spy vs. Spy (NES) "Y2K Style"

Ginnsu

Spy vs. Spy 'Y2K Style'

Smelling fruity, anybody? I just got a whiff coming off the top. Mostly that plucked instrument, which I can’t say I’m all too fond off. Besides that I would have to say that this one isn't horrible. It’s actually really good. I do like the drum arrangements and the choir synth. Nice Job DJ SheerDark, but please try and get more original samples.

• 2 weeks later...
Spy vs. Spy 'Y2K Style'

Smelling fruity, anybody? I just got a whiff coming off the top. Mostly that plucked instrument, which I can’t say I’m all too fond off. Besides that I would have to say that this one isn’t horrible. It’s actually really good. I do like the drum arrangements and the choir synth. Nice Job DJ SheerDark, but please try and get more original samples.

Eh, what can I say--I was a n00b, had access to FruityLoops, and lofty dreams. ;) Looking back I really realize how shitty this mix is, if not in how it sounds on a whole but in it's parts--It needs better samples, a bit more processing, and better balancing of the sound levels. I keep telling myself one of these days I *will* go back and re-do everything with other programs (or maybe just a little more attention to detail), but the sad truth is that my other various projects are just kinda getting in the way.

I keep telling myself one of these days I *will* go back and re-do everything with other programs (or maybe just a little more attention to detail), but the sad truth is that my other various projects are just kinda getting in the way.

Thats the right additude man. My suggestion is don't ditch Fruity Loops right off the bat. A lot of amazing things can (and have) come out of fruity and quite a few have ended up here and most people can't tell what it was made with (well I can't.) Keep on keepin' on.

• 1 year later...

A little too repetetive for my likings...

Until the later part on the...it reminds me of a music box. Anyways, when that starts playing its thing the repetetiveness goes...

It also ends on a kind of a "....oh" kind of note.

but the samples are good...real good, I dont care what nasty Mr. Ginnsu thinks, I like the samples.

Overall:

I would've liked to hear more, but what we got here isnt so bad.

I wub it to pieces^_^

-Claire

xXx

• 2 years later...
I wub it to pieces^_^

-Claire

xXx

What a goddamn weirdo.

Anyway yeah, it's repetative and one finds oneself losing interest as a result, but the arrangement ideas here are good overall. Certainly lends a different flavor to the source material. Nice work adding some original material to interact with the melody from 1:48 until the end. Good stuff. Somewhat disappointing that this guy was only a one-shot mixer back in the older days.

Larry, are you just going through and reviewing every single mix now?

Nah, I wouldn't want to do that. Just reviewing some old stuff that hadn't been commented on in a while. Page 29 of ReViews is a lonely place.

Well, if you bump some of the residents of Page 29 up to Page 1, then some others will be knocked down to Page 29, then you'll want to review those, and then more well get bumped down... well, if you time it well enough, you're going to end up reviewing every single mix anyway. ;)

• 3 months later...

I appreciate the rhythm and the melody behind this remix. It does fit very well with the theme of the original soundtrack, and hey, I can't complain that it's repetetive, because let's face it, NES music is repetetive. However, I can tell very easily that you were using FruityLoops 4.5 or earlier. The instruments are all defaults, minus the drum samples. You used Plucked!, SimSynth, and a couple other very basic synthesizers, with virtually no effects in any channels whatsoever. How long did this piece take you?

• 8 months later...

There seems to be a good deal of hatin on this one because the means used are obvious. The samples arent fantastic, but they get the job done pretty well. Just because they are obvious to some people..eh

It's not like people get all bitchy when Snappleman or Sixto use the same guitar tone every time.

Anyways, despite being a very simple mix, this is one that has a certain bit of heart to it, and i've had it on my playlist for years.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00481 - Spy vs. Spy (NES) "Y2K Style"