*NO* Guilty 'Les Poireaux sont gentils' *RESUB*

djpretzel

Email sub file Les poireaux sont gentils (version2) 128Kbps.mp3

LT Edit - Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70954

Hello !

I hope this one sounds better.

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name : Nurykabe

Your email address : Nurykabe@hotmail.com

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 18789

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Guilty

Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.

Original composer : Ian McCue

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.mirsoft.info/wogm_download.php?data=YTozOntpOjA7czo0OiIxODUwIjtpOjE7aToxMTM0NTk5NjkxO2k6MjtpOjM7fQ== - 07 - Guilty.MID

Repeating myself from last time, the source tune is just one variation of many. Check out 03 & 06 for others, but 07 is the one that's structured the most like this mix.

I pretty much covered my feelings last time around. I feel this was a significant improvement on the production side. Honestly, I'm harsher on it when I feel that a piece could greatly be improved on that level. Right now, things still sound rather dulled and lo-fi for no good reason. I'd rather hear something cleaner along with a VBR encoding of the piece to maximize the sound quality, if this is the best the source files to sound.

Things sound lo-fi, but agreeable enough throughout the intro. 1:26 still has a very nice boost of intensity with the beats. I feel like the beats were just dominating over the top of the source melody from 1:53-2:13. I liked the writing on the low brass (or are those strings) coming in at 2:24. The entire sequence from 2:43-3:21 IMO speaks volumes for why the production needs reworking and where the sounds are critically imbalanced.

This all sounds like I'm listening to a performance from just outside the building; things are just so muddy and indistinct, you find yourself trying to mentally create what it SHOULD sound like. The last section on piano at 4:28 just sounds like we're talking about a 64kbps encoding. I just can't pass this in good conscience when the production needs some TLC.

Someone save this please. I want this mix on the site. I want to pass it. I think it's bad enough that the arrangement kicks ass and it's from an unrepresented game. But if I passed it, I'd definitely be dishonest with myself. The sound quality is dragging this down substantially, no disrespect intended, Nurykabe. Arrangement-wise, this is a wonderful piece of work.

NO (refine/resubmit)

My vote from the first time applies to some degree. Did you actually lower the reverb a bit? It sounds more swamped this time for some reason at least based on recollection. In either case, as much as I love the big reverb, this is way too wet. It gives that lofi sound, especially with the quality of this reverb. If this were a high end TC or Lex you might be able get away with it, but I would reduce it by like 25-30% ultimately. Still keep that huge factor, but reduce the lofi-indisctinction issues to a degree.

Otherwise great stuff it just needs some more polish/tweaking. Borderline NO.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounding pretty cool so far. The blank 4 seconds at the beginning was a little odd. The actual production is pretty damn good for the first minute or so, suits the overall feel of the piece fine. The bass is maybe a little punchy to start with for the ambient sections, once the beats come in (which totally kick arse, by the way) it all comes together. They're probably a bit loud in the context of the piece. I Couldn't really hear much else going on around the beats before 2:00.

Great arrangement buildup from 2:30-3:20. The groove and sound from 3:30 is just crazy and great fun to listen to.

I'm with larry that this has a very lo-fi sound to it. But it works in the context of the mix. Very experimental. Some parts are way over the top, but I think the parts where it all falls in place make up for that. No piece is perfect, this one is probably just on the borderline for passing. Could be better, but it's enjoyable as it is and just clears our bar for production standards.

Ending was weak, btw.

YES

I'm hearing this....sounds a bit uh...fuck. top thin. yeah. the piano, among other things, should be brighter. the bass as well, oddly enough. my criticisms from the last time around were dealth with, the drums arent too quiet anymore, and whatever else i said...uh...i like this track..it's so close..it could so easily sound better so it kinda hurts to give it a yes..but it might be a yes regardless...I'll come back to it. It would be nice if we could Email this guy and see if he can fix the EQ. Somehow i feel like the person to do this should not be me.

i'm having trouble with this for exactly the same reasons as vig states.

a few quick fixes (in eq) would make this so much better.

I'm gonna give this a YES on the condition that the remixer fixes the EQ on the piano and makes the flute / bass / piano brighter.

so....

YES

I disagree with Gray that the reverb makes this sound "lofi". It doesn't. It does make the sounds blur together more, and crowds the low end (generally you want your reverbs to have low cuts so you don't get extra bass frequencies resonating). I think it could be cut back a bit of course, but it's not really a deal breaker. The main issue - if I had to pick one - would be the EQ. The lows and low-mids are very crowded. The lead synths need to be brought out more, the kick shouldn't be quite as muddy, and the snare should be toned down. What I usually like to do to get a good balance is start rolling off non-bass instruments at around 250hz. This leaves a LOT more room for stuff to breathe.

At times the mix also seems overly compressed, like around 4:00. There's just tons of stuff going on there. That's not necessarily bad but you really need to polish it so that things stand out more. I assume you were going for a sort of "wall of sound" kind of texture where the listener is just assaulted with the full spectrum. This can work really well and a lot of ReMixers do it, but if you don't EQ/mix/pan things correctly it will sound like a mess.

The production problems are just a little too much for me. Please spend a little more time working on that aspect and it will earn a YES from me.

NO

Seems like all 3 NOs are down with the arrangement/writing, but the production is just really subpar. If it was something that was "simpler" to fix up, I would have given this a conditional YES. But given Nukraybe's history of submissions where basically all of his songs have sounded similar to this in production, I'm just not sure if he's gonna be capable of getting this up to bar at his current skill level. That is, if we YESed it, could he even get it to sound good enough? Any recommendations on where to go from here?

Alright. The arrangement/composition here is easy pass, but the eq is a serious issue. The whole track is weak in the high-end. the only high frequencies we ever get are some gritty percussions. Pianos, flutes, other leads just dont cut through like they need to. Crank up the mid-hi on those fuckers.

want to see it on, but can't pass it yet.

NO