Green Hill Zone Dubstep

Schematist

Dubstep really started growing on me, but it's harder than I thought to write. I thought to share this to show my first attempt at the genre. I will most likely gain more experience and try it again. Dubstep leaves plenty of room for creativity, but my mixing skills aren't quite there yet. Either way it was a fun little challenge. Let me know what you think! Any tips at all are truly appreciated :razz:.

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/green-hill-zone-dubstep

Dubstep really started growing on me, but it's harder than I thought to write. I thought to share this to show my first attempt at the genre. I will most likely gain more experience and try it again. Dubstep leaves plenty of room for creativity, but my mixing skills aren't quite there yet. Either way it was a fun little challenge. Let me know what you think! Any tips at all are truly appreciated :razz:.

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/green-hill-zone-dubstep

I like it! I want to hear more!

I actually am sorta liking this.

I would say that there needs to be much more of a build up to the drop and you could probably try messing with filters or low-passes on the master right before the drop to really exaggerate the epicness of the drop.

at the same time, the drop isn't much different than the rest of the song, so I'd definitely bring it out more and make it more full and louder. The wub-bass could probably have a louder tone to it and normally dub step drops leave you with basically the beat and the bass and random noises and synths are placed in at certain moments in the drop, so like with that chip tune synth that's going on in the back there during the drop, only put that in at certain moments. At the same time, maybe try to incorporate the original Green Hill Zone melody into specific spots of the drop as well.

if you're going for a more classic dubstep sound, you're probably doing ok with the wub-bass hahaha, but the beat sounds far more modern and more Skrillex-like, so make your move.

it's sounding fairly good, though.

Not bad for a first attempt, actually. I'm assuming this is just a little way of practicing it, rather than a serious mix? Nice harmonies though.

The drum programming is an important aspect of dubstep, but that aside for now, the wobble seems to be buried before 0:26. After 0:26, the wobble is very basic-sounding; it's a saw wave with an LFO on the cutoff, as generic as you can get. The stereo image of it is great and its volume is fine, but the timbre is pretty flat. From here I think you can start experimenting on getting a good wobble sound that fits your own style. Maybe

I made a while ago might help.

As for the drums, the kick volume seems fine, but the timbre of it makes it blend in a little too well. The snare has a nice timbre, but you may hear how its tail is bleeding into the soundscape at 0:13, for one. The other oddness is that it seems to be kind of wide, and snares are usually mixed to be mono. The hi hats are OK in this context, even if they are a little mechanical in their velocities, and are white-noise-like.

Edited by timaeus222

The wobbles being used for the 'drop' section right now are very basic, I'd put some time into making them something that stands out and catches the ear. The main thing I would adjust with it is that it's very far in the back, so it doesn't really feel like a lead. Also I agree with G-Mixer that the drop is too similar to the start, and it doesn't have much impact when it hits.

There's definitely a tune here, it just needs to be fleshed out a lot more!

I'm really enjoying this, very chill and trance feels. Nice use of sound effects from the game. Definitely have heard really similar dub-step patterns from other tracks on this site. Pretty much agreeing with Kanohi on this one. Personally, I would like this song to have more of a trance quality. Either way, this is great.

The wobbles being used for the 'drop' section right now are very basic, I'd put some time into making them something that stands out and catches the ear. The main thing I would adjust with it is that it's very far in the back, so it doesn't really feel like a lead. Also I agree with G-Mixer that the drop is too similar to the start, and it doesn't have much impact when it hits.

There's definitely a tune here, it just needs to be fleshed out a lot more!

I swear this site is the best for constructive feedback. Thanks everyone! gonna start implementing these ideas. But I might stay away from dubstep for awhile. Far too complex for me right now