Generating Interest - Mario Kart ReMix Album

Personally I think it should just be a MK64 album since the OST would make a reasonable sized album without the need to cut out certain tracks. And since it's probably the most beloved in the series. Or at least the most nostalgic for a lot of people.

Personally I'm not for that. To some it's considered the greatest, but at the same time there are actually plenty that hate it. I think if we were to do any game alone, SMK seems most reasonable. But I think it should be an album dedicated to all games.

Yeah, I agree. Besides, this is like the only chance all the Mario Kart games will get some love. For example, OCR here has mixes only from SNES, N64 and DS versions, having only 10 mixes and the last one was posted on 2011!

SkyRider's post makes me wonder though... How could we bend the idea so that Menu tracks and other tracks can make it in? There are some nice non-track tunes in the games.

Yeah, I agree. Besides, this is like the only chance all the Mario Kart games will get some love. For example, OCR here has mixes only from SNES, N64 and DS versions, having only 10 mixes and the last one was posted on 2011!

SkyRider's post makes me wonder though... How could we bend the idea so that Menu tracks and other tracks can make it in? There are some nice non-track tunes in the games.

One could always sneak in a different melody as part of a larger remix. If it's only a small amount, then I would think that it would only serve to augment the main melody of the remixed song. For example, there's this one Touhou hardstyle song that had a small portion break into the Ode to Joy, and it fit in pretty well with the main melody of the track.

Here's what I think works:

• Title Screen Medley

• Menu Screen Minimedley

• 2 tracks from Super Mario Kart

• 2 tracks from Mario Kart 64

• 3 tracks from Super Circuit

• 2 tracks from Double Dash

• 3 tracks from Mario Kart DS

• 3 tracks from Mario Kart Wii

• 2 tracks from Mario Kart 7

• Rainbow Road Medley

• Results Screen Minimedley

• Awards Ceremony

NOTES:

The Menu Screen minimedley would be based mainly on Double Dash and MKWii, but with a few other menu themes weaved in here and there. The baseline/organ from Super Circuit, for example, would fit well. The same idea of remixing one or two themes together with hints of other songs could be applied to the Results Screen Minimedley

The Rainbow Road medley would be primarily based on 64/DD, but it would work all Rainbow Road themes in pretty evenly throughout the song (SNES could get just a little hint, maybe. There are tons of remixes for that RR theme, and it's a pretty small loop anyway, so I feel like it should get a little less exposure than the others here).

The number of tracks from each game is weighted based on (my opinion of) how much recognizable music is in said game against how many remixes the game already has posted. The total number of tracks in the album would then be 22. Obviously these numbers would be more of a guideline than a rigid rule, but I'd say we should add no more than one track per game and no more than three tracks in total. Furthermore, one of these tracks from each game would be a mix between two songs, much like the Robot Master ReMix competitions here on OCR. So there are 3 course themes found in the album from from SMK, 4 from Wii, etc. but by combining them into one song on the album, we achieve a smaller tracklist and thus a more manageable project for everyone.

Mario Kart 8 tracks can be determined later, once there are fewer variables in place both about our knowledge of the game's music as well as the status of this project.

So... thoughts?

Edited by pokemoneinstein

Here's what I think works:

• Title Screen Medley

• Menu Screen Minimedley

• 2 tracks from Super Mario Kart

• 2 tracks from Mario Kart 64

• 3 tracks from Super Circuit

• 2 tracks from Double Dash

• 3 tracks from Mario Kart DS

• 3 tracks from Mario Kart Wii

• 2 tracks from Mario Kart 7

• Rainbow Road Medley

• Results Screen Minimedley

• Awards Ceremony

NOTES:

The Menu Screen minimedley would be based mainly on Double Dash and MKWii, but with a few other menu themes weaved in here and there. The baseline/organ from Super Circuit, for example, would fit well. The same idea of remixing one or two themes together with hints of other songs could be applied to the Results Screen Minimedley

The Rainbow Road medley would be primarily based on 64/DD, but it would work all Rainbow Road themes in pretty evenly throughout the song (SNES could get just a little hint, maybe. There are tons of remixes for that RR theme, and it's a pretty small loop anyway, so I feel like it should get a little less exposure than the others here).

The number of tracks from each game is weighted based on (my opinion of) how much recognizable music is in said game against how many remixes the game already has posted. The total number of tracks in the album would then be 22. Obviously these numbers would be more of a guideline than a rigid rule, but I'd say we should add no more than one track per game and no more than three tracks in total. Furthermore, one of these tracks from each game would be a mix between two songs, much like the Robot Master ReMix competitions here on OCR. So there are 3 course themes found in the album from from SMK, 4 from Wii, etc. but by combining them into one song on the album, we achieve a smaller tracklist and thus a more manageable project for everyone.

Mario Kart 8 tracks can be determined later, once there are fewer variables in place both about our knowledge of the game's music as well as the status of this project.

So... thoughts?

so hold on, explain to me why some specific games have 3 tracks and others 2.

so hold on, explain to me why some specific games have 3 tracks and others 2.

"The number of tracks from each game is weighted based on (my opinion of) how much recognizable music is in said game against how many remixes the game already has posted."

In other words, certain games have either a small selection of recognizable source material or yet a lot of remixes on OCR and in the fan community in general (or both). Meanwhile, other games have equally famous source material, yet far less exposure in the remix community. The whole purpose of this album is giving more great music from Mario Kart some exposure, and with that goal in mind, it would be wise to pay less attention to what's already been done before. Treading new ground, you know?

It's not that different. We'd still have to keep track of how many are claimed from each game and how many are available. I really don't see how it would be any harder—it's just a matter of putting things down on a list. And if we assign certain games three tracks, we ensure that the titles with a little less musical exposure have a chance to get out there a little bit more.

And I'm pretty sure it was a typo and you meant three, but four per game is way too much.

I think as a general rule, we should say the album can't exceed 25 tracks. It's hard enough moving a project with 25 tracks forward, and offering the alternation between two and three tracks per game allows us that little bit of wiggle room to let in people who are late to the signup party. Plus we need to keep Mario Kart 8 in mind.

I think you're really underestimating how difficult it is to get people to not only commit to a project, but to follow through on that commitment. If you really want an album that big, I suggest starting with the 22 track plan and then expanding *IF* the project gets finished on time. I don't know if you've been an album director before, but it's a LOT of work, and the bigger you try to make it in the early stages, the less realistic your goals become and the less successful the project is bound to be.

I mean, honestly, the 22 track plan I proposed earlier is pretty generous.

Edited by pokemoneinstein

3 most iconic pieces from each game. I guess we could do 2 for three games (I'd say for the handheld console games) and fit a Rainbow Road medley in and a menu medley and main title theme.

The main title theme is basically always a remix of the original one from Super Mario Kart, so I say we just do a remix of the main title for SMK.

EDIT: sorry, unavailable for Skype at the moment. maybe some time tomorrow afternoon.

Hi, just jumping in to say that I'd be willing to jump in on this project if someone ever decides to pick it up and run with it.

I'm guessing that this isn't a project aimed to remix one or two games, but pick-and-choose from the whole series? While I'm not against the idea, I do think that some of these games could use some more attention as a whole (MK64 anyone?) and could actually make a decent project by themselves. Not to derail the current concept, but what if you did an album of the first few games, and if that goes well, you can continue from there (Much like the DKC, DKC2, and DKC3 albums did, albeit with different directors)?

Thanks, Anorax.

I think the less important ones are more of the handheld console games, from the way I see it.

It seems to be a big deal to be in favor of MK64, but there truly are a lot of people who actually believe that game to be one of the worst in the series. But because of how iconic it is, it needs to gain just as much love as any other game in the series. Honestly, I think that if we were to emphasize on ANY game or just do one game from the series, Super Mario Kart would be the one.

Honestly, I think that if we were to emphasize on ANY game or just do one game from the series, Super Mario Kart would be the one.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly to be honest, and the only reason I didn't mention SMK over MK64 is that SMK is probably the most covered on OCR and elsewhere. Heck, the OneUps did an album (I think) on SMK. It's not that I prefer MK64 over SMK (I don't, it's actually the other way around), it's just that MK64 appears to be the lesser-loved of the two in the remix community (not exactly here on OCR, as ML64 has one more mix than SMK does, but still).

Maybe this could just be focused on the first 4 MK games and then if it goes well a second part covering the other 4 can be done? I don't know, it'd solve the issues some people habe with the idea sofar...
Oooh, I definitely like this idea! Maybe each game has its own disc (technically each "disc" should hold as much music as a physical CD, so about what, 80 minutes? Maybe two discs per game if necessary...)

hold up, one disc having 80 minutes worth of tracks? that seems like a LOT of tracks for just one disc. somewhere around 60 would make more sense.

that's actually a really good idea, though, jnWake. any other input?

I think that 12~16 tracks per disc is fine. An average of 4~5 minutes per song gives 48~80 minutes (4*12 or 5*16).

hold up, one disc having 80 minutes worth of tracks? that seems like a LOT of tracks for just one disc. somewhere around 60 would make more sense.

that's actually a really good idea, though, jnWake. any other input?

I think that 12~16 tracks per disc is fine. An average of 4~5 minutes per song gives 48~80 minutes (4*12 or 5*16).

Just regurgitating the OCR project rule that discs can't exceed the physical recording time limit of CDs. Less is obviously fine (and preferred).

What I'm getting at is if an entire game soundtrack was remixed (say, the entirety of SMK's soundtrack), how much time would those remixes take up do you think? I mentioned the "disc" length limit based on the possibility of the entire soundtrack being remixed and somehow collectively lasting longer than the 82 minute rule/guideline/thing