Generating Interest - Mario Kart ReMix Album

The problem I see with jnWake's idea is that it kinda devalues the album as a celebration of the series and makes it seem more like just a push the shove a bunch of random remixes onto the site in a much less cohesive way than a single album would. What I really value is the ability to point to a single, unified collection of music and say "this is the fruit of our love for the Mario Kart series."

I've counted up the number of songs in the plan to do it as one album with a few medleys. The tracklist that I outlined a few posts back covers 78 tracks of source material. What I'm not understanding is how seventy-eight songs to remix is somehow not enough. And it's not like that suggestion was inflexible to additional songs. I just don't see why there's any need to keep lingering on this part of the production process. I think we should move on to the next step.

Edited by pokemoneinstein

what I like about it is that we could do part 1, and continue to part 2 if part 1 works out. because let's be honest, some of the most loved tracks would be from the part 1: SMK, MK64, MKSS, and MKDD. and it'll get too tiring trying to cut SO many good tracks because we're trying to fit in all 8 games. I think a part 1 and a part 2 would be a bit more convenient and gives us the chance to get more in there.

78 tracks, on the other hand, is ridiculous. we could do two discs and have 8 on each, 4 from each game, and then add in a Rainbow Road medley and the main theme, and some menu screen songs. OR, since it would only be the first half of the series, we could do like Rainbow Road from SMK. I feel like I don't hear enough of that remix as I do of the MK64 version, which I'm personally sick of hahahaha

I like the original idea of one "best of"album that would cover all the games. An "all star" approach like this doesn't need to cover all the sources, nor does it need to equally cover each game. If you think the first four games will be more popular remix choices, then you could simply have more mixes from those games. That's even more reason to not do a part 1 and part 2, if you think the second four games will draw less enthusiasm. Just one album that covers highlights from all the games is good. So it could kind of be like "Maverick Rising" that covered all the MMX games, but focused more so on the earlier games. People will always complain about certain sources not being covered regardless of the album approach. Just my two cents.

And I think pokemonstein meant 78 sources would be covered by the medley approach. NOT 78 individual tracks.

I like the original idea of one "best of"album that would cover all the games. An "all star" approach like this doesn't need to cover all the sources, nor does it need to equally cover each game. If you think the first four games will be more popular remix choices, then you could simply have more mixes from those games. That's even more reason to not do a part 1 and part 2, if you think the second four games will draw less enthusiasm. Just one album that covers highlights from all the games is good. So it could kind of be like "Maverick Rising" that covered all the MMX games, but focused more so on the earlier games. People will always complain about certain sources not being covered regardless of the album approach. Just my two cents.

Fully agreed on all of this.

And I think pokemonstein meant 78 sources would be covered by the medley approach. NOT 78 individual tracks.

Yeah, I thought it was quite clear there would be ~22 tracks in our project. 78 songs' worth of source material would be remixed into our album, but our album would not feature 78 individual tracks.

But just to be clear, I don't think we should be the ones to say which tracks are better or more beloved than any others, because that limits remixers' freedom to choose their favorite tracks and makes it a lot harder to arrange an album. Furthermore, I think it's extremely hard to place a value on the soundtracks of inidividual games in the series. Different fans are going to prefer different things. That's why I think we should try to spread the attention pretty evenly to all games instead of trying to pretend that a certain few are more important entries than others.

lol this is going to be by far the trickiest thing of getting this together

I really just wanna screw it all and go for a ginormous project but that's gonna require a lot of work to do 32+ tracks. it's possible, but I mean that's around 32 tracks.

the problem is there are far too many iconic tracks to hold it at a track list amount between 16 and 25. we can easily pull off 32, but cutting it to somewhere between 16 and 25 is HARD when we're going for the whole shabang.

the problem is there are far too many iconic tracks to hold it at a track list amount between 16 and 25. we can easily pull off 32, but cutting it to somewhere between 16 and 25 is HARD when we're going for the whole shabang.

Honestly, I think you're overestimating the importance of each individual track. I remember thinking the same thing when I was organizing Road Rage two years ago and coming to the realization that Mario Kart has maybe one "iconic" song per game, at best. Maybe two or three more "good" songs per game each.

But a lot of what you have to consider here as a co-director of this album is what goals we can realistically achieve and what sacrifices we have to make to have a finished product we can be proud of. Idealism is great and all, but you have to be able to recognize when goals are getting too big. And if you let the dream of having a gigantic project interfere too much with the goal of actually getting the project done, both ideas are going to fall through and we'll be left with nothing at all.

Beyond that, you're clearly looking at this with the mindset that there are specific iconic themes. That means that unless you pick out the tracklist for people to claim ahead of time, rather than allowing ReMixers freedom to choose their own source material, you're going to be disappointed with the selection of music no matter how big it is, because the musicians' favorite songs from the series isn't necessarily going to align with your own idea of what's "iconic."

But seriously dude, please add me on Skype. We've got to talk this through more directly.

• 2 weeks later...
and the fledgling album project ceased to be, as quickly as it was brought into the world.

THE ARGLE HAS SPOKEN!

In all seriousness, I really want to see someone pick this up and run with it. I'd do it myself but as I may have said earlier in this thread I don't know what kind of workload I'll have next semester to start it off, and then on to college and the likes after that.

Edited by Anorax

Glad there are still people interested, though. ^_^

Yo pokemoneinstein, not sure if you got my visitor message... I added you on Skype finally, so we should probably get on chat and discuss how this project will be laid out and then you can go full throttle and I'll come in and help as much as I can when I can :)

• 1 month later...