2014 New Year Resolutions!

OceansAndrew

what are your thoughts on the effectiveness of setting goals based around new years? my roommate is a total elitist about it in that he thinks you should " just do" whatever thing you want to get done whenever you think of it. while this works for a small number of people, the majority of us need to write down our goals in order to persue them. The most amusing part is that he himself never sets, nor attains goals.

what are your thoughts on the effectiveness of setting goals based around new years? my roommate is a total elitist about it in that he thinks you should " just do" whatever thing you want to get done whenever you think of it. while this works for a small number of people, the majority of us need to write down our goals in order to persue them. The most amusing part is that he himself never sets, nor attains goals.

The actual start point is irrelevant, but categorizing and planning for goals is crucial to direct your own life and move towards how you want to be living.

1. GENERAL: Be an awesome father, an awesome husband, and an awesome site admin, in that order!!
  2. FINALLY modernize the site's look & feel and functionality AND update/migrate the forums (aka "V6")
  3. Finish 5 ReMixes, aka "get back on the musical horse". Just upgraded to Cubase 7.5 after my brief experiment with Reaper; going to focus on learning it and Sylenth1 and putting together some templates so I can be 5X more productive. Been wanting to do this for years, just needed to double-down on DAW choice after playing the field a bit...
  4. Lose 10 more pounds (lost ~10 this year)
  5. Fix/update landscaping around the house

Still thinking about 2-3 good additions to the list, but these would be great!

OK, just thought of another goal I'd like to achieve in the next year: Make a music video of my original music and have it up on YouTube.

So my list is:

- Overcome PTSD, don't be nomad

- Make music video

Ooh, a music video! I'd love to see that!

By the way, sorry to hear you have PTSD. I hope you get it sorted out.

Nice, I just found it. I wish I knew about this earlier!

@Amy, really awesome video of Insomniac Skies! The remix is great as well.

Thank you Cash, for the kind words about the video, and thank you (and others) also for the sympathy.

Filming that video was definitely in my all-time 5 best nights of my life. So why am I not making more stuff like that happen? Seems obvs.

My resolutions:

1) Get one year's expenses saved up in the bank. (I'm at 8 months as of today, hopefully shouldn't be too hard.)

2) Start retirement savings. (Again, even if it's just $15 a paycheck, shouldn't be too hard.)

3) Get back into college to finish my degree.

4) Finish my first novel. (Probably won't happen, but eh, I can try.)

My resolutions:

1) Get one year's expenses saved up in the bank. (I'm at 8 months as of today, hopefully shouldn't be too hard.)

2) Start retirement savings. (Again, even if it's just $15 a paycheck, shouldn't be too hard.)

3) Get back into college to finish my degree.

4) Finish my first novel. (Probably won't happen, but eh, I can try.)

Oh yeah... I need to add to my list.

More resolutions:

- Work on four currently-WIP things: first novel, general-purpose sound synthesis tutorial for OCR, Music Production and Composition textbook-length guide, and music album

Edited by timaeus222

My goals are mostly fitness related. First and most important, heal this blasted rotator cuff problem, and make the shoulder stronger than it was before. Second, get a muscle up. 2014 will be the year of the muscle up. Obviously this is heavily dependent on the success of the first issue. Third, a whole year of working with the rings, cuz I really like them. Fourth, and this might be a ludicrous goal, but get a freestanding handstand.

Music goals are much simpler, more OC remixes. Many more.

Ok, here go my resolutions...

• Pass JLPT N1 in December 2014 (which involves a lot of studying before then)
  • Finish updating all the remaining content sections of LunarNET
  • Translate 2 of the Lunar Drama CDs
  • Complete the rest of my gaming backlog, excluding anything I buy this year
  • Continue regularly posting on the OCR forums

...that's all I can think of for now. I might add a couple more later. KF

EDIT: I forgot! I'm also resolving to keep posting on the OCR forums. I love this place and keep ending up taking inadvertent hiatuses... hiatusis... ...hiatii? KF

Edited by Kizyr

I don't make New Years resolutions... ever, but I want to get my ass working on here again, so here it goes.

I'm going to mod-review (or just review, if it comes down to it) five WIP tracks a week, and I'll list them somewhere to make damn sure that I've done it. If the WIP forum got 260 reviews from at least one workshop mod next year (and probably more - I'm not the only one here :D) then I feel that forum will improve significantly.

*Deep breaths* ALRIGHT, let's do this!