The Cynic Project - Marble Zone Piano Suite

cynicmusic

http://cynicmusic.com/music/marble_zone_piano_suite.mp3

Hello,

I just pulled open this mix last week to update the piano sound to a more realistic library, but I wanted a chance to share it with you before that update. I've been collecting a few mixes that I'd love to share with you, but haven't submitted to OCREMIX yet because they lack that final polish in the arrangement department (although I think the production is very nice!) I played this piano in myself and it has a nice rubato feel. I've been turned down in the past for weak arrangements and that left me a little skittish on submitting new mixes since I tend to focus more on production rather than arrangement. Anyway would love some feedback on this track (and whether its submission worthy or what you would change), and I plan on submitting a few more this week. As usual, the rest of my sonic remixes are here: http://sonic.tcpmusic.com

The Marble Zone mix is here: http://cynicmusic.com/music/marble_zone_piano_suite.mp3

I also wanted to take a second to plug my game, Pixelsphere, which is kickstarting now, and for which I composed the soundtrack. The OCREMIX gods were kind enough to give me an RT last week which was very generous of them!

banner2.png

I'm floored by your unique interpretation of the Marble Zone theme, your phrasing and performance is nothing short of incredible. Ace production here, nothing unexpected there :-) I've been a huge fan of your last 2 submissions and this one lives up to the reputation you've set for yourself.

Submit this! I'm not listening with the most critical ear right now, but I love what I'm hearing. Good to see you posting more work!

Stacatto violin is a bit dry--the velocity varies a lot but it still sounds a bit weak and artificial. The source is heavily interpreted, but enough of it is done "straight" that I don't think it will have a problem passing on those grounds. Ending is essentially nonexistent.

Definitely worth submitting overall, though; if arrangement is your usual problem, you've overcome it nicely here.

I think that is the feedback I needed to hear. I thought the ending was great, but I guess that is why I am asking for advice :) it's a little abrupt i guess huh. I can also look at tweaking the strings wetness Im using the EWQL symphonic orchestra and it gets challenging the more real the instruments sound becuase the expectation for no fake bits gets even higher than with obviously fakey strings.

I don't think the high strings (what if you're using viola too, right? Then it wouldn't just be violins) are too dry, but I do think they are too late in the timing (the transient is lining up after the beat).

This isn't absolutely necessary, but you could automate the volume on the choir to add some swells and make it more dynamic. It definitely sounds like a soundfont or a bare sample library, and it would really help the realism to do that and to overlap the notes. It's especially a problem at 3:14 - 3:32 since you can most easily hear the detached feel there.

This arrangement is actually nicely interpretive. The main issue I'm encountering is that the strings are a bit mechanical. Simply varying velocities won't work; if someone were to visualize a sequenced performance, it should seem natural. 3:32 to the ending is the most noticeable with the strings because they're playing larger/more extended and connected phrases and not just single, separate, distinct staccatos.

The piano sounds great as it is. The tone is very clean and full. I also like the mixing on the double basses.

Even based on the small problem with the strings and choir, if you were to sub this right now, it has a decent chance of being a borderline pass in my opinion, but it may even be better than that.

Edited by timaeus222

This isn't absolutely necessary, but you could automate the volume on the choir to add some swells and make it more dynamic. It definitely sounds like a soundfont or a bare sample library, and it would really help the realism to do that and to overlap the notes. It's especially a problem at 3:14 - 3:32 since you can most easily hear the detached feel there.

Yeah I think swells in the choir is the easiest thing I can do. I always forget to go add that level of realism by automating parameters. thanks much for this!!

Not necessarily concrete or constructive feedback, but just stopping by to say that I always love your Sonic arrangements. Super dope as usual, and even though you tackle sources that have been interpreted many times you manage to come up with unique and memorable approaches.

thanks!! It's hard to stay away from the classics. They bring back such good memories!!

Alex

Yep, just commenting to say I loved this piece, and with some minor touches to the strings I'm sure it'd be an easy pass. Nice choir in there as well - maybe play with the attack on it just a little to make it a bit more natural/have more feel? I'd also just wind down the ending a little bit slower than the abrupt finish. Beautiful piece!

Yeah, I have nothing constructive to add here either, other than what the others have already mentioned. I've always been a big fan of your music, and I think I heard a version of this mix on your website awhile back, unless I'm mistaken. This is indeed quite the fresh and interesting arrangement of Marble Zone. Keep it up! :)