Mail: 

ID forum: 30998

From the album project: Final Fantasy 9

Game & Songs: Final Fantasy 9 – Sleepless City Treno

Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkA17QI1gSM

Comment:

Hi OCR!

Treno’s theme is really my favourite of the game; so that I could play this in loop in piano:) For long time, I wanted to know what it would look like with an orchestral dimension. ff9 album project was the opportunity to make mine!

In this mix, I wanted to insist on a cheerful rhythm of marching band, with also some more exotic parts by using of woodwinds and pizz.

This new version is made with better quality of samples.

Thanks to fishy who really helped to finish this mix and get a version presentable to OCR!

I hope you’ll like this arrangement :)

--------------------------------------

I don't know what was specifically done to improve the realism here, but this was a significant improvement. Maybe Fishy can give us some more information, since the submission letter was the same at before and didn't detail any of the changes.

Obviously, it's not performed live, but the samples sounded much more credible overall, and the result was a performance that was much smoother this time around.

Nice work, Guillaume. We've been waiting for something like this from you for a long time, but finally we have a finished track that does justice your arrangement concepts with solid sample and production quality.

YES

Echoing what Larry said, it's obvious that this song was sequenced, and yet it doesn't take away at all from its enjoyability. The soundscape is filled beautifully, and this seems like just the right genre to do a remix of the source in. I was nodding my head withing the first couple measures--nice 'n catchy!

The only gripe I'd have would be that some of the tempo changes were a bit awkward, and a bit more care could have been taken in some of the sequencing.

For instance, some of the notes, because of the sample's attack speed, come in just a biiiiit too late to work as well as they could. If they'd been moved back just a teensy bit in the sequencer, I feel like they'd be even better. A couple examples would be that lead flute at around 0:22 and some of the horns around the 1:20 area.

The slow-down around 1:15 is also just a bit awkward, since it only gets that one snare hit in there to signify the tempo change. Kinda hard to follow along with--maybe having some notes run through there as it slows down would help.

Overall EQ-wise, I think it could use a bit more boost on the low-mid range, but that's not a huge deal.

Sequencing nitpicks aside, I still think this is a beautiful, enjoyable mix that deserves a spot on the front page. Nice work!

YES

Edited by Flexstyle

Maybe Fishy can give us some more information, since the submission letter was the same at before and didn't detail any of the changes.

Just a nice new set of shiny samples and a lot of work cleaning it up by Guillaume. I only made a few suggestions after he presented the finished version, mainly about the attack of some samples being late.

I didn't listen to the first version so I'm basing these thoughts on the resub.

Ok so the source is almost a slowed-down Ragtime genre, and your remix is orchestral, nicely done! You've certainly covered the source material quite well here. Fantastic arrangement and terrific part writing!

You've created a very nice full orchestral soundscape, very impressive! I have a couple of nitpicks... the bass drum that appears at 0:21 is much too loud and up-front. It would never be that close to the front or mic'ed like that in a real orchestra. I find all of the drumming a touch loud for orchestral. Snares should be barely audible.

You've used the samples quite well I'd say, the harp work in particular is quite impressive and lovely. I only have one big humanization nitpick here: that piccolo trill beginning at 2:31 lasting until 2:46... gosh that piccolo player has huge lungs!

Song has a couple of different endings that seem detached from each other style-wise, and with nothing bridging them, but they sound really good.

Really nice track!

YES