*NO* Advance Wars 'Andy's in His Shades'

djpretzel

Email sub file Advance Wars Andy's In His Shades OC Remix.mp3

Hey OC Remix,

Just wanna take this little snippet to say I'm really sorry I had to submit the MP3 through the email, I'm getting the whole hosting situation figured out right now, but my next submission (if I submit again [mystery!]) should be linked rather than in the email itself. Sorry!

Here's all the handy info!

Remixer Name: DJ Atari

Email: b_harris1@hotmail.com

I'm pretty sure this number would be my Forum UserID: 37864

Game Remixed: Advance Wars

Song Remixed: Andy's Theme

Composer: Yoshito Hirano

System: Game Boy Advance

Publisher: Nintendo

Link to the original: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gba/Andys_Theme.mid

My Comments: I guess this is a little different from what I usually hear on OC Remix. I tried to make the song seem more relaxed with a clean guitar part and a slowed tempo, I even added a little solo in there. I hope you guys like it!

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology.

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.

http://www.zophar.net/gsf/awars.rar - 06 "Andy's Theme"

Heh. The quality of your slap bass sample is just as bad as in the GSF. On the arrangement side, this was a decent job slowing the tempo down and going for a much more relaxed feel, which was working ok conceptually.

Unfortunately, there's not much texture to the instrumentation. Acoustic guitar is decent, but the distorted electric guitar-type part at :25 has 0 meat on it and just sounds very tame and synthetic. Percussion/cymbals are light, but loop too much, have a tepid tone and also sound very very fake. Brass sample at :58 was weak stuff as well.

I liked the twangy guitar idea at 1:27, but the lack of organicness and realism hurts the piece dramatically. By 1:49 where you start doing some twangy guitar comping, the backing material is just dragging on for way too long. The pattern just keep repeating over and over and over and over again.

2:43 brings back the brass again. 3:07 with the slap bass, especially alone, was definitely a low point, and not a strong way to wind down the track.

You sounds definitely aren't up to the challenge, and you don't have much in the way of a full, pleasing texture, or interesting enough arrangement ideas to merit 4 minutes. Cut out the fat and work on adding more variation to the piece. There are also better sounds available for free that you can explore by browsing the ReMixing forum.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say it, that's not a slap bass. :lol: (Inside joke) Actually it is, but I couldn't resist bringing up that line from OCR lore.

Onto the mix... It's a decent mix. The main problem I have here is the guitars sound really rough and crunchy. The sequencing of the synth and sample elements aren't that interesting/executed well either. Like the short brass stabs.

The texture of the mix is very sparse and thin. Other than that distorted sound dominating there's not much attention paid to separating the sounds both in sonic character and the space they take up in the stereo soundfield. This whole thing actually sounds generally centered and mono-ish in my view.

The arrangement is a bit too straightforward but certainly more competent than the stuff we get. Ending sounds too abrupt and cutoffish too.

I think this has a lot of promise, with more work and polish done here, you can make something special. I hope you consider coming back to this with extensive reworking. Hope to hear more from you in the future, in any case.

As it is now though, NO.

The timing in this mix is all over the place. Sounds like some parts are played live on a sequencer, but without a metronome to help with the timing.

Another problem is that this song doesn't really go anywhere; it starts off the same and ends up the same. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the sounds in this piece don't always mesh well, and the aforementioned timing issues and plodding tempo make this a pretty boring piece.

Variation and better sounds will help this piece.

NO