OCR02895 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Captain of the Skies'

DragonAvenger

RM Name: ZackParrish

User ID: 50456

Game: Final Fantasy VII

Arrangement Title: Captain of the Skies

Original Title: Sending a Dream into the Universe

Comments: I have always loved the melody from Cid's theme in FF7 and decide to expand on the idea of the original, by adding new textures, pushing more dynamic variation, etc.

--------------------

I think Cid's theme is a better matchup:

Edited by djpretzel

Excellent theme; great taste in source music!

Sequencing and samples sounded pretty nice, and the opening was pretty well done, especially considering how exposed the leads were. A few minor realism ticks in the solo violin, but definitely nothing out of place, the solo instrument sequencing was definitely above the bar for me. The slow burn build was nice, though I was hoping it would get even bigger at the end. The guitar sounded almost too dirty for the soundscape; i'm all for crunch, but exposed like that without a bass guitar backup is a little tougher sell. Maybe it's because there were just light chugs and never any huge open chords that I felt it was a little out of place.

The Ending is about to get huge, and then fakes me out for a small and intimate ending; I definitely think another minute of content could be added here, especially since it seemed so solid throughout.

Overall the quality and direction of the mix are really good, but everything was handled so capably, I was expecting a bit more. Still well above the bar though.

Yes

Really beautiful work here. I'm jelly of your orchestral work :).

Arrangement is handled nicely. I like the slow building approach. I did something similar in my ff5 fireship mix, but this one is better :). Very good dynamics and sequencing here.

Minor issue: Transition at 1:36 sounded a bit weird with the sudden cut off of the rolling cymbal and other instruments. I'm guessing it was intentional, but it still sounded unnatural to me for a predominantely orchestral track.

Excellent.

Yes

Wow! What a nice hybrid of sounds. Really well-sequenced and humanized orchestral parts, paired with acoustic and electric guitar and synth work. Good dynamics as the piece progresses. The acoustic guitar sounds a tiny bit too up-front when it briefly appears. When the drums come in, the kick is a little soft compared to the "snare," I wish they had been a little more similar in volume (but that's a wicked snare!).

I wish the transition to the soft outro had lasted a bit longer to let the energy recede a bit more naturally, but this works.

Great track, nice work!

YES

My biggest beef with this track is that there's NOT ENOUGH OF IT GHRAGLKHSJDFLSKDHSLGKJF etc. Would love to hear this concept fleshed out even more, adding more themes and lengthening into a full-on epic at some point.

Yeah, it's clearly sequenced, but at the same time it's obvious you put a lot of care into the sequencing. It's well-mixed, so no complaints there. The source is clearly discernable, so no complaints there either. I think, if you were to revisit this track, that it could benefit with a little bit more TLC on that kick drum, as Chimp said. I think it could also use some beefier "boom-verb" sounds, but that's a personal thing.

Basically, it feels like it belongs in a movie with giant mechanisms/organisms and lots of property damage. I love this track, and it's obviously deserving of front-page placement.

YES