OCR02957 - *YES* Streets of Rage 'Streets of Rave'

Palpable

ReMixer name: Amphibious

Userid: 44489

Name of Game: Streets of Rage

Name of Arrangement: Streets of Rave

Name of Song Arranged: Fighting in the Streets

Comments:

At MAGFest I was in a room with some cool peoples, Nathan Becker (ectogemia) being one of them. One day we decided to start a random song in FL on my laptop. It was pretty fun, and I learned a bunch of cool tips for mixing and sound design from him. This mix used that project file as a basis, so he certainly gets an honorable mention. I've learned a lot of things from a lot of different people on OCR in compos and just general conversation as well, so I have a lot of people to really thank.

I was originally just trying to make a pumping dance track, but as I started fiddling about I played the Fighting in the Streets lead overtop of what I started and I thought to myself "Oh damn." So I reworked it, expanded the arrangement and eventually ended up with this. It felt like a very convincing and logical style for a Streets of Rage remix. I layered a lot of percussion samples, worked with way more automation than I'm used to, layered tons of other sounds. I did a lot of new things with this and it was a pretty big undertaking, but in the end I think it turned out to be one of my best works yet. I've tried to do harder electronic music before but nothing has turned out quite like this one has. I hope you all enjoy it!

(If the name is too cheesy I can change it, but I hope its fine!)

-------------------------------------------------------

The rhodes introduced at 0:16 was a little muddy each time it was in play but when the beats kicked in, it was easy to focus on other things. It still would have been nice to get that cleaned up. Otherwise, this is a great arrangement, lots of crazy synths and fun drops. Great stuff as usual from Jordan.

YES

I agree that the rhodes was a touch muddy, but it's a nice warm tone and there is plenty to love about the track; when it's by itself, it's fine as a style choice, and only is questionable to me when there is more going on. A little bit of EQ automation in certain sections would go a long ways, though I don't think it is so overbearing that it shuts down the sections. The arrangement is pretty sweet overall, and there is a lot of funky fun to be had.

Funky Fun. Just think about it.

Yes

Yeah, cheesy title, but the track is hawt when it all kicks in.

Gonna third the issues mentioned on the rhodes. I'll add that I thought the lead that came in at :47 felt kinda weak with the powerful beat & bass synth background it was up against. May be a personal preference, but I would've liked to hear something with more powah.

Great arrangement for sure. Source is all over the place, but always used in a creative way.

Nice touch with stuff like the swirl-type effect at 1:37. There is a ton of attention to detail like this throughout the track with keep it fresh and interesting. Ending was a bit sudden, but otherwise it sounds really polished. Excellent work.

AWW YEAH

I wish the mixing were cleaner. The original synth line brought in at :30 really mudded together with the melodic lead and competed for space from :45-1:01. Sections like 1:09-1:47 felt pretty cluttered and could use more separation between the parts. 1:40-1:47 in particular made this stand out when some of the cool backing Rhodes writing felt swallowed up. If this could be addressed some before we post it, that would be great, but I'll live. Just reading over the other votes now, and we're on the same page here.

In any case, the overall product was sweet and the arrangement had great style and interpretation. Streets of Rage was an amazing soundtrack, and I really REALLY hope this isn't the last time Jordan tackles this score, because this was very enjoyable and really lent a completely different, amped up energy. Cool stuff.

YES

Edited by Liontamer